“incredible” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Roswell, Georgia
“incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was fortunate to stay here for 2 nights during a business trip to Toronto. The hotel is ultra chic in a subtle way. great breakfast, comfortable room/bed and the staff was friendly, helpful and very professional. I highly recommend this hotel and hope to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Toronto impressed us - a very clean "efficient" young feeling to the city, quite different from Montreal's dreariness.

Le Germain fitted this feeling perfectly - a modern hotel with pleasant, efficient, facilities. We stayed in a balcony suite and it was comfortable and effective.

A noticeable difference is that the staff were well above average - two examples: our room was not quite ready on arrival, not a major problem but mildly tedious; we made no fuss and were prepared to wait. I went outside for a cigarette and a minute or two later was approached by the manager who'd come out to apologise. That's a courtesy I appreciate and which impresses.

The other example impressed me even more - we'd chatted with the concierge and planned to visit Niagra the next day, then we went out to a nearby restaurant, the rather large and busy Real Sports Bar & Grill. We were sitting waiting for food when Charles, the concierge, appeared at our table to tell us that there was a marathon in the city the next day so the car journey to Niagra might be a problem. He had taken the trouble not only to think about implications for our planned trip but had also come all the way to the restaurant and sought us out among the bustling crowd.

That is a level of thoughtful personal service to which good hotels should aspire - well done Charles.

To some extent a hotel is a hotel - you get a room with a bed and one hotel might have a softer bed or a bigger bathroom or better shampoo. In the better hotels one is unlikely to have poor facilities and one is usually left simply with an overall impression of quite nice or very nice. But if the service is good too what a difference it makes and if the service is excellent then one's perception of the hotel rockets upwards.

We've stayed in some of the most luxurious and expensive hotels one can find over the years and enjoyed them but undoubtedly Le Germain is up there at the top of our list of memorable great hotels not for its expensive luxury but for its service quality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had to attend a meeting in Toronto at short notice, and since the meeting was being held at the Hotel Le Germain (Nov 2)- I decided it would be simplest to just stay at the Le Germain for the evening prior to the meeting. Checking in was fine, and although I will agree with another reviewer that the shower placement in the room was a little odd - overall I thought the room was quite comfortable. I ordered room service, and while expensive - the bison sliders were good. I went to sleep that night thinking I had made a wise choice in selecting this hotel. That is until 12:45 am when I awoke to the sound of the fire alarm. The alarm continued for roughly 20-30 minutes with frequent but unhelpful comments on the intercom from security. Eventually the firefighters arrived, checked the hotel and the alarms ended. While I don't love awakening to fire alarms - better safe than sorry I thought. I was almost back asleep when the fire alarm went off again - this time close to 2 am. Same drill - very loud alarm, same unhelpful comments from security. Again the firefighters arrived and shut down the alarm - now close to 2:30 am. I have to assume both alarms were false - we were never told what had happened.

Ultimately I had to get up at 7 am for my meeting, and ended up with perhaps 3 hours sleep. I note from an earlier review, the Germain had a similar night time fire alarm a few days previous. For a hotel that with taxes charges $470/room a night - I would have expected them to fix their alarm system after the first incident but apparently no. I also would have expected an apology - a bill reduction or something - but no.

Very nice hotel - but you may want to sleep eslewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear MLRobert,

I’m sorry that you were here for such a disruptive night at the hotel. We try our hardest to provide ideal sleeping conditions, but sometimes our efforts are thwarted.

Rest assured that if there was even the smallest issue with the alarm system at the hotel, we would act immediately to correct it. The issues that triggered the alarms were valid and unrelated to any previous alarms. I fully agree that these situations are a nuisance, and also agree that it is better to be safe than sorry. The triggers weren’t connected to hotel operations; however, the life-protection system is programmed to alert everyone in the complex under certain circumstances.

We are reviewing how to improve the clarity of the announcements. If you can provide any more specific feedback on your experience, I would be happy to speak with you. Please feel free to email me at mhenderson@germainmapleleafsquare.com or phone me at 416 649 7575.

Despite our recent luck, fire alarms are rare at the hotel, and I would be happy to welcome you back when you have the opportunity to return to the area.

Thanks for staying with us,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Spent three nights here, one of three Le Germain hotels we stayed at and all three were v good. Clean, sleek, trendy hotel which looks good for business trips and leisure trips. Good location, 5 minutes from the CN Tower. Huge room; comfortable beds, large & v well-equipped bathroom, office area. Breakfast good; breakfast area well designed. Reception v helpful.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel last night for a two day business meeting. The room is comfortable, and overall service is good. The shower is a bit odd as it is in the middle of the room and all glass. My only complaint is the valet service. The hotel is in an office building with full underground parking, yet they make you use the valet for the car retrieval causing you to go out into the rain ( I stayed during the tropical storm sandy) instead of allowing me to go down and get my own car in the dry public garage even when I suggested that I would prefer to get it myself instead of going outside.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Marc N,

Your suggestion is great. I am currently working with our valet staff and the management of the company that runs the parking garage to find a seamless way to make this happen.

Thanks very much for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again, regardless of Mother Nature’s mood.

London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here last night. Nice hotel except the fire alarm goes off at 1:20am and it takes 45 minutes to get it turned off and stop with announcements. I realize stuff like this happens although I have never stayed at a hotel where this has happened. What annoys me is no one apologized for it or even acknowledged it even when as I was was checking out I said I had a horrible sleep. Then to add to we had asked for a paper to be delivered and it was not. I guess I head back to the Harbour Castle again. So much for trying different.

Dear 63Hotelmike,

I am very sorry that your stay with us ended without a heartfelt apology. While the cause of the disruption may have been out of our control, our reaction was not.

When fire alarms occur during the night, we try to find small ways to make everyone’s morning easier. For us, creating a reason for you to smile on a groggy morning is the best remedy. I regret that we didn’t find a way for this to happen in your case.

We sincerely appreciate that you chose to stay with us, but are disappointed that you were dissatisfied with our follow-up service. If there is any further assistance I can provide to you, please feel free to call me at 416 649 7575, or email me at mhenderson@germainmapleleafsquare.com.

Thanks,

Lexington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were in Toronto on October 14 to see Rush at the Air Canada Centre (excellent concert!!!) and stayed at this unique hotel. It's right next to the ACC and an easy walk to the CN Tower area or to the waterfront. We would recommend using the directions on their web site, since the hotel was easy to miss when relying on our GPS.

When we booked the room a few months earlier, we wanted to stay in a nice downtown hotel, but we didn't realize we would be staying in one of the most beautiful hotel rooms we'd ever stayed in (and we've stayed in quite a few). Our room was more like a wonderfully decorated city apartment than a hotel room. It had a separate living room with stylish modular furniture, an ultra-modern bedroom and an awesome bathroom and shower.

We thought the breakfast was quite good as well and really enjoyed the cappuccino machine. We also had drinks at the bar at the PLAY Lounge after the Rush concert. The drinks were OK, but the pretzels they served were kind of stale. Aside from that, the overall experience at this hotel was excellent and we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: The suites are quite luxurious