“On the whole, so-so” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cocina Lucero

Cocina Lucero
523 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario M4Y1Y3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416) 923 45 45
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Chicago, Illinois
“On the whole, so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Our family visited on Easter Sunday afternoon. The service, by two pleasant young men, was leisurely, but not overly slow. The Sopa Azteca was ok, but not very substantial, missing something I can't identify ... needed a little more chicken or vegetable chunks or something. The taquito appetizer with potato and chorizo were tasty, but no Mexican would recognize the taste of that chorizo. A flauta plate was fine but except for some beans was indistinguishable from the taquitos at twice the price. Queso fundido, which had more tomatoes and onions than cheese was nevertheless pronounced delicious. Cocina Lucero offers a number of dishes that are definitely beyond those found on all but the best Mexican menus. We might go back and try them someday when we're more hungry and they might earn a higher rating for the restaurant.

“A very enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went here with my wife and younger son. We shared an elaborate salad and shrimp in a vegetable dish in which tomato predominated. I had the filleted fish for my main course; it was very good. My wife had a vegetable dish, which she liked; our son had chicken and enjoyed it. Everything went down very easily. If you're in the Yonge-Wellesley area, this restaurant is worth trying.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic authentic mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Fantastic authentic mexican food, not that Tex-Mex nonsense we find everywhere. I go there regularly and it is consistently great. The only "problem" could be that they are occasionally under-staffed, which explains slow service which leads cry-babies write nasty reviews simply because they didn't get their food the minute they entered the restaurant. Visit Cocina Lucero while you can; pretty soon, the entire block will be demolished to make room for oversize condo towers...sigh...

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The restaurant is cute enough and the service was alright when I went. But the food was unremarkable. Stale tortilla chips, stale rice. Pretty expensive considering the quality of the food.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Astana, Kazakhstan
“Good Mexican restaurant for lunch or birthday celebration”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I had lunch several times at this restaurant and I enjoyed it. I paid $15-20 and ate a lot of authentic mexican food. One of my friends celebrated birthday here and invited me. The food is good. Especially, I liked the fact that they had mexican beer offered at this restaurant.
Overall, good place for lunch or small birthday parties.

• Visited June 2011