“Price and location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel

You added Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1677 Wilson Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M3L 1A5, Canada (Formerly Days Hotel and Conference Centre Toronto Airport East)   |
Ranked #121 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Kingston, Canada
“Price and location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel and not my last. Price and location is what keeps me coming back. If you're looking for pristine, or a neighbourhood replete with upscale bistros, then look elsewhere.

Rooms are somewhat dated. Repairs are not always professional looking. Although my room was non-smoking you could tell that at some point in the past it wasn't. This time around there was a lot of construction going on in the hallways causing them to resembled a war-zone but it was a very minor inconvenience.

I've always found the hotel to be quiet. Staffing has always been very good.

Some reviewers have mentioned feeling unsafe in the area. Me, I felt comfortable. It's a busy multi-cultured area, no more, no less. The same precautions a person takes walking at night in any city, new or familiar, applies here. One could always stay at any hotel in the downtown core but you would not be any safer than you are at the Toronto Plaza Hotel

Within two minutes walk there are grocery stores, banks, a pharmacy, shopping mall and
fast-food joints a plenty. Have yet to discover any worthwhile restaurants in the area but I really am not sure as most of my time is spent downtown.

TTC bus stop is just outside the front door. From there it's a 20 minute ride to Wilson subway station and then 20 minutes to Union station. Yorkdale Shopping Centre is a 10 minute drive or 25 minutes by bus and subway. This is what I like about the hotel's location. Good access to public transportation at a very reasonable room rate.

Plenty of free parking (outdoors parking only).

I've always found the free wi-fi in the rooms to be a bit dodgy. Reception is fine in the lobby but sometimes sparse depending on room location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Do not stay in this hotel we stayed in it for a week it's smelly old and dirty I did not feel safe and had to sleep with my cash .i assure you I'm not the fussy type and am easily pleased take my advise stay
Away

• Stayed August 2012
Yoho National Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed there October 2012 for a quick weekend at wonderland. Hotel is a 2-3 star at best. Got a cheapie deal with hotwire.. $155 for two nights. I think there was a time in my life when i would be okay with a 2 star.. but its not now! Rooms are okay, noise level between rooms is high. You will note a 'raised' area in some room photos. This is not a feature to accomodate a small table - as you might think at a glance.. but rather an area where a balcony once was. This area was remodled years ago to eleiminate the balconay (likey because it is very expensive to fix balconies) and to make the room slightly larger. However, the plywood makes the floor in this this area a virual loudspeaker for the room below. If you've got quiet lower neighbours, i suppose you are okay.. however if you've got a bunch of people partying, you will hear them clearly. Had a noise issue and the staff responded well. EXCELLENT FRONT DESK STAFF ! They belong in a nicer hotel.

Area of hotel is so - so i wuold not allow my teens to walk to a corner store near by. This hotel NOT NEAR AIRPORT strip as the name implies! When we require an Airport hotel, i prefer to stay right on the airport strip. I would imagine being this far from the strip would make the typicla 5 or 10 min shuttle to Pearson closer to 30 or even more with traffic. NOT SOMETING I AM WILLING to RISK to save $20 bucks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I received a voucher for a free stay at the hotel. I would have rather stayed home. I live in the area so decided to take my 5 year-old daughter for a fun mother-daughter getaway.
The area is not safe at night so went to the nearby Shoppers Drug Mart to get milk & other incidentals for the overnight stay. No fridge in my room. That's ok, I'll use ice to keep the milk. Had to pay for ice. Not happy but "oh well".
We dropped our overnight bag in the filthy room, holes in blankets, weird smells, rusted sink & bathtub, smell of marijuana in the hallway.
Put milk in the ice bucket and went down to the Sports Bar in the hotel for a pizza. The young lady who served us was friendly, courteous & took extra care to make sure my daughter was enjoying her meal. Kudos to her. Then I find out the Sports Bar is not part of the hotel. No surprise.
We took a little walk around the hotel, noticed the people swimming in the pool & my daughter was excited. When I booked the hotel, I asked about activities for children & was told there weren't any "but we have a pool". That's good enough, I said. So we went upstairs to our room, packed our bathing suits in a bag & went down to the pool. We tried our key in the pool door & it would not open. So I went to the front desk & told her it was locked. The lady at the front desk had no idea about it, so called maintenance. She did that and informed me that the pool was closed for maintenance. You can imagine my dismay when I'm here on a Saturday night 7:30pm with my 5 year old daughter & nothing to do. My daughter was so sad & I tried to console her by saying "Don't worry baby, we'll have fun in the hotel room". The lady at the front desk did not even apologize or sympathize with me. I understand these things are unavoidable but she could have shown some compassion.
I asked when the pool would reopen & she said she didn't know. Called maintenance again & they said maybe tomorrow morning, so I extended my check-out to 2pm hoping to make my daughter happy & use the pool.
The next morning, we ate the crappy breakfast of cornflakes and checked if the pool was open. Front desk lady says maintenance man expected at 10am to check the pool and then we would see. It was 9:30am. We went up to the room & waited. At 10:30am, she had not called us back, so I called down again. She said she'd check with maintenance & let me know. At 11am, half hour later, she called our room & said the pool was good to go. We excitedly went for a wonderful swim & I enjoyed the hot tub. My daughter was happy, which is all I wanted.
At 12:30pm, we decided to go back up to our room, shower & check-out. To our dismay, the shower didn't work! I just exploded. Called down to the front desk & explained my dilemma. The lady at the front desk asked me if I was turning it on properly. I said yes & she said she'd send maintenance up. An hour later (1:30pm) & 2 more calls to the front desk, two very nice maintenance men come to check the shower & low & behold it is broken. They can fix it but will see if they can get me another room for my daughter & I to get out of our wet bathing suits & shower. The only hotel staff who has been of any help at all. I call the front desk & tell her the shower is broken & ask why she didn't offer me another room right away. She said because she had to have maintenance check it out first. I was very angry! Thanked the maintenance men for their offer of another room but told them it was already late, so we were just going to leave.
I checked out & told the woman at check-out that this was the worst hotel experience of my life & that we were going home to shower! She didn't say a word.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is one block from the mall and about 40 minutes from downtown Toronto, but has everything you need. The price is decent and includes breakfast. The room was clean.
The bus stop is 30m away. To downtown Toronto first take bus 96 or 165 to Wilson Station and then take the subway Yonge-University-Spadina Southbound. At the weekends you pay one Day Pass (20 U$S) transport ticket and two people can travel (it includes bus, subway and trams).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We needed a cheap place to stay for the night before a 6 am flight out of Toronto. This did the trick. The hotel itself was nothing to brag about - the sink had a bit of rust in it, everything looked a little worse for wear. I will say, however, that the hotel staff were really very helpful and accommodating to us. They let us check in early and gave us a better room with no charge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Unpleasant odor in lobbies, very old carpets. Hotel need to be renovated. Breakfast is only cereals with milk, and orange juice.
Staff if very helpful, shuttle in time. Each day is good cleaning room. Nice size pool , but is over-chlorinate.
Bus stop one minute from Hotel.
I would recommend for one day stay, but certainly not for family vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!