“Worst establishment I've ever stayed in!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel

You added Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1677 Wilson Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M3L 1A5, Canada (Formerly Days Hotel and Conference Centre Toronto Airport East)   |
Ranked #124 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Worst establishment I've ever stayed in!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I received a voucher for a free stay at the hotel. I would have rather stayed home. I live in the area so decided to take my 5 year-old daughter for a fun mother-daughter getaway.
The area is not safe at night so went to the nearby Shoppers Drug Mart to get milk & other incidentals for the overnight stay. No fridge in my room. That's ok, I'll use ice to keep the milk. Had to pay for ice. Not happy but "oh well".
We dropped our overnight bag in the filthy room, holes in blankets, weird smells, rusted sink & bathtub, smell of marijuana in the hallway.
Put milk in the ice bucket and went down to the Sports Bar in the hotel for a pizza. The young lady who served us was friendly, courteous & took extra care to make sure my daughter was enjoying her meal. Kudos to her. Then I find out the Sports Bar is not part of the hotel. No surprise.
We took a little walk around the hotel, noticed the people swimming in the pool & my daughter was excited. When I booked the hotel, I asked about activities for children & was told there weren't any "but we have a pool". That's good enough, I said. So we went upstairs to our room, packed our bathing suits in a bag & went down to the pool. We tried our key in the pool door & it would not open. So I went to the front desk & told her it was locked. The lady at the front desk had no idea about it, so called maintenance. She did that and informed me that the pool was closed for maintenance. You can imagine my dismay when I'm here on a Saturday night 7:30pm with my 5 year old daughter & nothing to do. My daughter was so sad & I tried to console her by saying "Don't worry baby, we'll have fun in the hotel room". The lady at the front desk did not even apologize or sympathize with me. I understand these things are unavoidable but she could have shown some compassion.
I asked when the pool would reopen & she said she didn't know. Called maintenance again & they said maybe tomorrow morning, so I extended my check-out to 2pm hoping to make my daughter happy & use the pool.
The next morning, we ate the crappy breakfast of cornflakes and checked if the pool was open. Front desk lady says maintenance man expected at 10am to check the pool and then we would see. It was 9:30am. We went up to the room & waited. At 10:30am, she had not called us back, so I called down again. She said she'd check with maintenance & let me know. At 11am, half hour later, she called our room & said the pool was good to go. We excitedly went for a wonderful swim & I enjoyed the hot tub. My daughter was happy, which is all I wanted.
At 12:30pm, we decided to go back up to our room, shower & check-out. To our dismay, the shower didn't work! I just exploded. Called down to the front desk & explained my dilemma. The lady at the front desk asked me if I was turning it on properly. I said yes & she said she'd send maintenance up. An hour later (1:30pm) & 2 more calls to the front desk, two very nice maintenance men come to check the shower & low & behold it is broken. They can fix it but will see if they can get me another room for my daughter & I to get out of our wet bathing suits & shower. The only hotel staff who has been of any help at all. I call the front desk & tell her the shower is broken & ask why she didn't offer me another room right away. She said because she had to have maintenance check it out first. I was very angry! Thanked the maintenance men for their offer of another room but told them it was already late, so we were just going to leave.
I checked out & told the woman at check-out that this was the worst hotel experience of my life & that we were going home to shower! She didn't say a word.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is one block from the mall and about 40 minutes from downtown Toronto, but has everything you need. The price is decent and includes breakfast. The room was clean.
The bus stop is 30m away. To downtown Toronto first take bus 96 or 165 to Wilson Station and then take the subway Yonge-University-Spadina Southbound. At the weekends you pay one Day Pass (20 U$S) transport ticket and two people can travel (it includes bus, subway and trams).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We needed a cheap place to stay for the night before a 6 am flight out of Toronto. This did the trick. The hotel itself was nothing to brag about - the sink had a bit of rust in it, everything looked a little worse for wear. I will say, however, that the hotel staff were really very helpful and accommodating to us. They let us check in early and gave us a better room with no charge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Unpleasant odor in lobbies, very old carpets. Hotel need to be renovated. Breakfast is only cereals with milk, and orange juice.
Staff if very helpful, shuttle in time. Each day is good cleaning room. Nice size pool , but is over-chlorinate.
Bus stop one minute from Hotel.
I would recommend for one day stay, but certainly not for family vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Positive:
a) Excellent and marvellous staff service. They were extremely helpful when all I have requested them for a help b) Nice continental breakfast c) Room was clean and good. d) Service and facilities were laudable.

Negative:
a) Frankly too far away from downtown and other local attraction (zoo,science world,CN Tower and rom etc)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Toronto Plaza Hotel, but my stay was fine. Yes, their were deficiencies with my room, but for $75 that's pretty much what I expect. I'm definitely not expecting the Royal York for that price. The front desk agents were wonderful, entertaining and generally good people. I can't hold them responsible for other decisions made by the hotel, such as paying for ice, that's a first. I did see some sketchy characters though, but I still said "hi" and they seemed to be nice people hiding behind their ruggish exterior. All and all, the stay was good, and not as bad as some people may have said.

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is the most disgusting I have ever stayed in. Dirty beyond belief that is all I can say. If you enjoy gross this your place. Bugs in the room etc we got in very late and out very early the airport was much nicer.

Stayed September 2012

Been to Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!