“If not for the staff, it would rate zero to 1/2 stars.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown

You added Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2C5, Canada (Formerly Ramada Hotel & Suites Downtown) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
New Liskeard, Canada
“If not for the staff, it would rate zero to 1/2 stars.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

First, the staff was excellent, courteous and helpful, and that's where my positive feedback for this place ends.
I am disabled, and the ramp one must use to take their luggage in and out is narrow, almost too curved to get the luggage carrier around the corner, and the door in and out does not have an automatic door opener, nor does it even have an outside handle or hook to allow one needing this to keep the door open.
*A very non disabled-friendly lobby and setup.
The elevators, two of them for a ten-story hotel, are MAYBE 5' X 5' and to get the luggage carrier and yourself in at the same time takes quick thinking in trying to keep the door open while getting the luggage rack in along with my son, who accompanies me due to my severe illnesses. And for the two days I was there, one of them wasn't even working necessitating long waits. For me, that's horrid because my feet are destroyed by diabetes and standing is an experience in pain. They knew I am disabled from my correspondence, yet they stuck me on the tenth floor, so my waits were horridly long with one elevator in use.
I made it clear that I needed a refrigerator for medications, and although they admitted to knowing this and were fairly quick in getting one in the room, it should have been there as it took four hours to reach a proper temperature for my meds. Ice will suffice when I have to wait, but they had ONE ice machine and it was on the ground floor. ONE elevator working, ONE ice machine, and I'm on the tenth floor, way too ill and too tired to change rooms after a 500 mile ride. Even after I mentioned this, there was no offer to help me change rooms or to do anything to make my stay easier.
On top of this, I get the room closest to the elevators and the main tenth floor entrance. So instead of sleeping, I had to listen to the noise of people getting on and off the elevator and the noise of the door closing as there wasn't even padding to stop the thump. And it was as if they put every family with kids on the floor. Noise and more noise as many of the people left their doors open so I heard yelling kids, frustrated parents, their tvs etc...
I finally had enough and screamed out the hall, "Some of us would LIKE TO SLEEP. Shut your %$#@ doors." It got quiet for about one hour. I could go on about that issue, but there's the picture.
The room, although having decent space, had NO TUB! I need to soak in warm tubs with medicinal ingredients in the bath due to hepatic blistering from liver failure and hepatic carcinoma. NO TUB in a downtown hotel? OOOHHH, but there's a hot tub where the pool is, only nine floors down, across a tunnel, then through a maze of doors to where there is a pool that was so cold even my son could not stand the freezing. I had to warn a father that his child was becoming hypothermic as her lips were blue, her speech was slurring, and you could see huge blue patches all over her. Then I had to embarrasingly explain to the ones using the hot tub that "I was sorry" for all the sores they could see and they were not contagious. I had to use the hot tub due to my condition. The floor in the change room was SO COLD that I nearly blacked out from the pain it caused in my feet and legs. I also have severe diabetes and severe neuropathy and the coldness caused my calves to cramp up rock hard as if there were golf balls implanted under my skin. And NO TOWELS so I had to walk all the way back to the front lobby where the fellow had only TWO towels left. Shall I go on? There wasn't even a phone to call the front desk to have someone bring towels. There was an emergency phone though, thank God, to call 9-1-1 directly.
The carpet in the elevator were so filthy and worn it was hard to imagine why they hadn't "splurged" on a mere 10' X 5' piece of carpet to redo it. Obviously they didn't even vacuum it.
And not even a lousy free continental breakfast to go with all this comfort.
So, without going further, I can sum it up by saying I don't care what kind of discount they offer, I will NEVER stay there again unless massive changes are made to serve guests better.
***In my opinion, and the humble opinion of my son, the only satisfactory step the manager could take is to allot me a FULL REFUND, which I believe, with due respect to the staff who did a pretty fair job, is owed me. Their policy of offering guests comfort and good ammenities is so far off what anyone should expect. I stay at many hotels in Toronto and quite often due to medical issues, yet this was by far, the most uncomfortable stay I have had in my many years of going to Toronto.
I hope my straightforward manner in speaking does not cause any problems for any of the employees, but I am angry and fully plan on pursuing my refund by any means necessary, including their head office.
The place has potential and could be a super nice place, but it's going to take work and time by the management and staff to bring this place up to a three star, or even two star facility.

Room Tip: If the other rooms are similar to the one I described, then there aren't many options. Just dema...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
308SDT, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear “krazykritik” thank you for taking the time to discuss this matter with me over the phone. I am happy that we were able to come to a mutually satisfactory solution and I am happy that the staff provided you with excellent guest services during your stay.

Kind regards,
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sudbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Always enjoy our stay here. We liked our room & the staff are very
helpful & nice !! The dining room was great. The location is very
central.

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

308SDT, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear “Bruce D” Thank you for your kind words! We look forward to seeing you again.

Ramada Plaza Toronto
Lower Burlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a couple gateway in Toronto. The value for the money was excellent. The room was huge, more like a suite than a typical hotel room. It is well located walking distance to all the night life and the great restaurant downtown Toronto. The only bummer was that the pool water was freezing but the hot tub and steam room made up for it. For sure this is the hotel I'm going to choose everrytime I go to Toronto for business or pleasure.
The front staff at the hotel know alot about what is around and are more than happy to give direction.

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Dear “Domenic P ” Thank you for the great comment regarding your stay at Ramada Plaza Toronto! We apologies for the pool condition during your stay. It is a problem that has been repaired since your visit.

Ramada Plaza Toronto
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The staff was polite and when asked for assistance were prompt. The room was clean but could have been better for the price, TV was of poor and should have been HD not stretched. There was no fridge or microwave. It w.as close to the hospital though.

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

308SDT, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear “goodman ” thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. We regret that while we do have 40” flat TV’s, HD programming is something that we do not carry. We are please however that you found both our staff and rooms satisfactory.

Kind regards,
Front Office Manager

Been to Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown? Share your experiences!