“Consider Ramada as your LAST option” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown

You added Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2C5, Canada (Formerly Ramada Hotel & Suites Downtown) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
asia
“Consider Ramada as your LAST option”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

Before I arrived in Toronto, I booked the Ramada Plaza based on the good reviews that were listed. I took the negative ones with a pinch of salt. When I arrived at the hotel, I realised I made a HUGE mistake not taking heed of the negative feedback which have proven to be true.
First impression of the hotel is, the frontdesk staff were very indifferent to me - their guest. I commented that as there are so many steps leading up the main door and exit of the hotel, they need to have a staff to assist guests with heavy luggages. They plainly told me Ramada Plaza do not have any staff like that or any bell boys.
When I stepped into the room at the 2nd level allotted to me I was terribly disappointed at the old and aged state of the rooms, and the small space of the toilets. the toilet sits very close to the bathtub (2 inches away), and the window beside the bathtub is about the size of a 15inch laptop.
Upon request to change to another room on the higher level, once again, I was shocked to find that the drainage of the sink and the bathtub were not working. I found a pool of water collecting at my feet up to my calves while showering. The water in the sink did not drain quickly, but seeped down slowly. The space was small. I do not know about the other good reviews about how spacious the suites can be, but my room was definitely not conveniently laid out. I felt that they should just remove the tv area, and expand it to a one bedroom space. I saw and experience these in a room that was newly renovated (as conveyed to me by the frontdesk when I told them what I experienced).
My goodness - they do need another round of renovation.
The hotel housekeeping were nice, but I would not say that of the attitude of the frontdesk staff on duty then.
My advice, you can find much better hotels than this at similar rates. If you are looking for comfort to stay at this hotel for more than 2 days... forget it. If you are there to stay on a tight budget for 1 or 2 days... it is still bearable. Please reconsider this hotel. Too bad, I was too distraught to take any photos of the hotel rooms at this hotel.
The situation outside the hotel in the later evening is not really a nice place to walk. There are people on crack, and prostitutes lurking around. I do not know if it happens for 1 or 2 nights, but I was long gone to another hotel, and did not stay at Ramada for the 7 nites that I had initially planned. I left after staying 1 nite.

Stayed September 2007
RamadaPlaza_Mgmnt, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2007

addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to each one of your complaints.

1. Although we do not offer bellman service we do have a ramp to the lobby for those guests that have difficulty with the 8 steps leading up to the lobby from our courtyard driveway.

2. As the building is a historic property built in 1929 we have had some challeges with the space of the bathrooms. We are currently looking at ways to improve this through renovations and space saving techniques.

3. When a guest is confronted with a plumbing problem we hope that we are informed immediately so that we may have the chance to fix it.

4. We have many guests that stay quite comfortably for weeks if not months at a time. If only we could have been given the opportunity to listen to your complaints and correct them onsite.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to accommodate you in the future so that we may work with you to make your stay more comfortable.

Ramada Plaza Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
dfadf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

Suites are spacious, excellent for families. Highly recommend as alternative to regular hotel rooms. Suites are clean and nicely decorated. Unfortunately the swimming pool is not amazing ie. only 4 feet deep.

Stayed September 2007
Leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

After reading the decent reviews we expected so much better from this hotel.
I should say that the front desk staff at our checkin/checkout were extremely pleasant.
The location is not the best that downtown Toronto has to offer. It is far away from everything exciting. My honest advice is try somewhere else and let this be a sort of last resort. Parking costs downtown are generally high but this location is not prime so the cost could be a bit lower.
Our room was a bit stuffy and worn down. I gave the feeling of being just aged.
Do not expect any kind of luxury stay here. This is for the traveller on a tight budget with low standards.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff & Overall Hotel Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location & Room Quality
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
RamadaPlaza_Mgmnt, Manager at Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2007

addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

1. We are a ten minute walk to Yonge street and Toronto's most visited tourist attraction, the Eaton Shopping Centre. We are a 10 minute drive from most other attractions Toronto has to offer.

2. 1. We know we offer very competitive guestroom rates and have been complimented several times for the value we offer. Our secure underground parking rate of $18 has only increased 10% in 10 years while many hotels locally charge upwards of $30.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to accommodate you in the future so that we may work with you to make your stay comfortable.

Wiarton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

We recently stayed at the Ramada Plaza in Toronto while there for a medical appt. The staff was very friendly, helpful and courteous. We were upgraded to a wonderful suite and no extra charge and we wish we could have taken better advantage of it! It was beautiful! We have stayed there a few times before, love the hot tub and plan to stay there again when next in Toronto. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — The hot tub! It was so hot I could hardly get in it, it was great!
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Imperial, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

Have tons of money? like to be chargerd 18 dollars daily for parking your car?, use the guest's computer, not to have internet in your room? dirty carpets? very expensive restaurant? have the toilet 2 inches away from the shower tub? (if you are a man, you will know what am I talking about...
Then go to this very expensive, Ugly and close to nothing hotel... better go to a Hotel near the airport.. by the way.. if you are renting a car.. do not use Payless... their office is 5 miles away from the airport, so you will not be able to drop the car and take the plane..you will loose one afternoon returning the car and spending 50 dollar to get back to your hotel and another 50 in the morning to go to airport. Office is in an obscure corner of Renassaince Hotel, no signs, very depriment place.. employees are rude, can not speak english properly.. and hide prices of rent.. stay away from Payless rent car and Ramada Plaza Hotel...

addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

2. We have complimentary wireless internet throughout the hotel. If you were having a problem logging on, we would have assisted you upon hearing about your problem. We offer a PC and Printer in a business centre for those guests that don't have a laptop. It is located in the lobby. We researched every hotel in the city that offers this service and we have a very competitive rate.

3. We clean our carpeting on a daily basis and shampoo regularly. All of our guestroom carpeting has been replaced with-in the past two years. It is in the best interest of the guest and for the hotel to maintain good quality carpeting.

4. Our restaurant is quite inexpensive for the portion size of the meal. The average breakfast costs $10. The average Dinner Entree is $15. Very inexpensive in comparison to similar hotel restaurants in Toronto.

5. We have no relationship to Payless Car Rentals and would be happy to recommend a car rental company for our guests.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

I stayed at the Ramada Plaza while I was attending the Toronto Film Festival. To begin with, I was impressed with the kindness of the desk staff, particularly Abdul, who was always happy to call a cab for me, because I found it difficult to get one on the street. He was friendly and helpful. Most importantly, I was AMAZED by the HONESTY, KINDNESS, AND HONORABLE HOUSEKEEPING STAFF. There are two people I need to mention first: PAULETTE BOWERBANK AND MARIO who went beyond the call of duty. Paulette found my cosmetic bag, which had a very valuable piece of jewelry and immediately brought it to housekeeping, where it remained until I called. In the past, when I or others have left something of value in a hotel, it disappeared or was reported lost. This piece of jewelry (an antique anniversary ring) is one of my most valuable pieces, so I wasn't hopeful (I told my husband that there would be a 1% chance for me to recover my ring, so you can imagine my surprise when Paulette told me they had the ring). I actually cried when she told me that she had the ring. I was so touched by her honesty and ethics. I rarely experience this kind of goodness --- and have never experienced it at a hotel. I also have to say that everyone on staff was friendly, helpful, hard working, and respectful. I also want to thank JILL CHICO, a manager at the hotel, who is going out of her way to mail me my jewelry. I am so deeply touched by the kindness of these people to whom I am forever indebted. My room was large, spacious, and clean. I will be returning to Toronto for the film festival every year and I will always stay at the Ramada Plaza. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!!!

• Liked — the staff and the view
  • Disliked — that my husband wasn't with me to share the experience
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

Reasonable rates coupled with "designer" upgrades make this a god stay. New carpet, wall treatments and light fixtures are an improvement. The mini suites are great if you have visitors or want your own space. Fairly quiet rooms. Bathrooms could do with additional upgrades. Small elevators. A litle bit of a walk to shopping.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown? Share your experiences!