“Not impressed and wouldn't recommend it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre

You added Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2E9, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
“Not impressed and wouldn't recommend it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I have only in the hotel for a few hours and was already unhappy with my stay. Wifi is supposed to be include in the package deal but guess what it's not working and staff is not very helpful. Called front desk three times and they transferred me to their Internet support and I got hung up on three times. Called and complained again then they brought me a cable to the laptop. But guess what the wifi still doesn't work. Poor customer service.

Another thing I didn't like us that our stay was fully paid before we arrived here and they still put a $100 hold per night on your credit card. Not impressed. Never seen any other hotel do this.

As well rooms are extremely small.

• Stayed December 2012
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Porchelee,

Thank you for your recent review of your time with us. I am sorry to read that you had issues with the hotel's complimentary Wi-Fi and that these issues were not resolved. I will be following up with your comments to our Provider to ensure that all systems are operational and to make them aware of the lack of service the technician provided. I am also sorry that the front desk was not more reactive to your issues. Our Wi-fi is normally very good and so your comments are very concerning. We are also currently in the process of upgrading our whole system to Fibre optic cables. This work should be completed in the first few months of 2013. We are proud to be getting fibre optic cables as it will allow for industry leading internet speeds.
I am sorry that our deposit procedures were not to your liking. We do require the room and taxes to be paid for in advance or on arrival, as well as a security deposit for the room. This is a common practice of hotels in Toronto but i am sorry that this was not made clearer to you at the time of booking.
I appreciate your feedback on this and will make note of it.

Thank you again for your visit, we do appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in Toronto. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on day to show you the upgrades to our wi-fi and to show you the level of service we are truly capable of.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year
Alain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had a room on the 21st floor. Room are ok, I was not expecting anything fancy for a stay at the holiday inn. The worst thing of this stay was the temperature in the room. They're turning off the A/C and ventilation system during the winter, temperature in the room was really hot. After complaining to the reception the only solution they came up with was to open the window and bring a portable fan. Sleeping experience was very bad because of this (+ noise coming from the street with the open window). Will definitely not go back to this hotel in the winter time

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Good morning thomas136vietnam,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am sorry to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been due to the heat in the rooms. Our building operates on a two pipe system. This means that once the cool winter months arrive, we must change from using our chilled water units to using our hot water units. This change means that the hotel is no longer able to provide air conditioning to the rooms. The HVAC units are now supplied to provide heating only. However, this does not mean that all of the rooms are too hot. We do regulate the heat so that our rooms are between 72F - 75F. If a room is warmer than this then our Engineers will go in to look at it and adjust the settings to make it more comfortable. I apologize that your room was above this temperature comfort zone. While we do offer fans and have windows that open, we should have moved your room to one of our more temperate rooms.

Thank you for brining this to my attention. I will share your comments with my Front Desk, Engineering and Housekeeping teams so that we can all work together to ensure that all of our guests receive a comfortable room and great service.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the new year.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes,

Lille, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night. The staff were very nice and friendly. Our room had 2 double beds in it and felt very small. We didn't have enough room to keep our suitcases open on the floor and the view through the grimy windows was of the building opposite. For me, downtown Toronto is where the main shopping area is and this was a long way away from there - too far to walk with a 4 year old. The Loblaws store at the end of the street sells wonderful fresh food if you don't want to eat in the hotel and we had a decent meal at both the Chinese and Japanese restaurants directly opposite the hotel entrance. Parking was reasonably priced and just underneath the hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room higher up so you can avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good morning Michelle B,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the services from our staff while with us. We do have a great team here that enjoys ensuring our guests are well taken care of.
I am sorry to read that the location of our hotel did not suit your needs. We are lucky in that we are close to both the Eaton Centre, Yonge and Dundas Square as well as Bloor Street (under 10 min walk) but there is a lot that Toronto has to offer and so some things might be further away. However, we are very close to the subway line at College Station (2 minutes away) and so even some of the great distances are easy to cover.
Due to this central location, our room sizes are moderate but during our renovations we installed flat screen TVs, slim-line desk and chairs as well as sliding doors for the washroom and closet. These design features help to maximize the space in our rooms.
As you mentioned, we are also right next door to the wonderfully renovated Maple Leaf Gardens that is now home to the Loblaw supermarket and LCBO and they offer many options for food and drinks.

I hope that you will think of us again when you are in Toronto and your activites bring you to our area.
Warmest wishes for the Holidays and have a fantastic 2013!!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our second stay at this Holiday Inn, and again, another good one. We were greeted again by Steven, who remembered us from our last stay - I'd be very happy if he, or someone like him, checked us in at all the hotels we stayed in! He again noted that we had a baby with us, and upgraded us to a king. He also called to have a crib sent up, which arrived very, very quickly and was set up for us by the really nice maintenance guy. Another very lovely greeting all around.

Room was very clean once again, and appreciate the free wifi and being next to the best Loblaws ever. We again used the hotel parking ($25 per night, with in/out privileges). Interestingly, Steven told us that even if the parking lot sign said it was full, a spot would be reserved for us, which is quite reassuring.

We had no issues with housekeeping this time, and they even cleaned our room in a very short two hour window where we left the room for lunch. Very satisfied this time around.

Check-out was very smooth and friendly.

We had again a very good stay. This hotel is a tremendous value, and though it's not the most luxurious hotel available, the service, the location, and the proximity to the subway and shopping will make this our first option whenever we come to Toronto.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here the last 10 days in November - (Grey Cup weekend and the next week).
I've stayed here many times before when it was a Days Inn, (Usually with my son for a sports packed stay) since the change to HI it's had a "bit" of a makeover.
The location is brilliant for touring Toronto on foot with the subway @ College just a couple of minutes away. Eating closeby is easy with lots of choice and of course further downtown covers just about everything. For the few days I had a car, parking was convenient altho $25 per night isn't cheap - then again Toronto isn't for anything.
Rooms are functional - I stayed in an Executive one (Gold Priority Club). Big downer is the terrible air conditioning - despite turning it down to as low as 50F the best I got in my room was 76F which is too warm. When I asked for it to be fixed the best I got was the window being changed so I could slide it open wider - which didn't help much. The bathroom is OK but no tub only a shower which is not what I expected and after a couple of hours skating I missed being able to have a bit of a soak in the bath to revive myself. Wardrobe and cupboard space is also quite limited when staying for 10 days but manageable.
The staff are quite friendly and do seem to want to help when asked - a problem with my safe (twice) was fixed quickly both times. Check-in and out was quick, efficient and friendly too.
The room was cleaned OK but I did notice a few things on the floor that stayed there for the 10 days I had the room which isn't a great sign.
I was disappointed with the room (21st Floor facing Carlton St), aircon, no bath etc. However I would probably stay again due to location and value albeit I'd want these "issues" fixed.
This time I've given it an average because of the points raised but if you need a functional base to tour Toronto (my favourite city) then this really is a good choice and I'd still recommend it. Finally, thanks to the CFL and the City of Toronto for putting on the best Grey Cup festival ever all topped of with an Argos victory - perfect!

Room Tip: Avoid the 21st floor facing Carlton and check that the aircon is working before you accept a room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
stigs17
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed 9 nights during Grey Cup week, some nights in a king executive, some in a king suite, hence I will break down each kind of room.

Hotel services/location:

Pros: Spacious lobby area. Welcoming check-in with platinum recognition and a bag with bottled water and chocolate. Staff were friendly and well-trained with only a couple exceptions. Front desk manager (Sierra) was very efficient and responsive. Elevators are fast here (hotel was sold out most nights); never waited more than 1-2 minutes.

Half a block from the 'College' station on the TTC subway line; largest Loblaws in Canada right next door in historic Maple Leaf Gardens with an LCBO above. A 10-minute walk down Yonge to the Eaton Centre. Tons of quality eateries within 1-2 blocks (Guu Izakaya is superb). Guest laundry on 2nd floor. Business centre with four PCs at back of lobby. All facilities - including ice machines, which are on even floors - are card-only access, thus minimizing unsupervised children hoarding the amenities and causing trouble.

Cons: For a large full-service hotel, one cold pool (6th floor) and no hot tub was a slight disappointment. Also no executive lounge, which is odd. Business centre printer never worked. Was walked in on a 'do not disturb sign.' Front entrance automatic doors were sporadically turned on.

Hotel rooms:

KING EXECUTIVE:
Pros: Given upper floor as requested with a gorgeous CN tower view. Room was immaculate. Awesome beds, soft & hard pillows, good soundproofing of rooms. Well-equipped with a large work desk area, comfortable tilting chair, 37" LG plasma offering ~50 channels (alas, no HD) and a tiny fridge. Tasteful room design, with vibrant Neil Young artwork (nice tribute to the local hero) offsetting the smooth earth tones, dark woods and futuristic lighting. The concept ties in beautifully. Relatively spacious bathroom with a gorgeous glass shower, ergonomic shower head and quality tile work. Hot water at a good pressure within 15 seconds. Ample selection of plush towels. Safe located in closet.

Cons: Many of the channels had poor reception. Room is a bit narrower than a typical urban HI but still practically designed to minimize the issue (e.g. the sliding door to the bathroom saves considerable space, TV and work desk area under the windows). The wall-mounted heating unit is awkward and unreliable; I would advise cranking it down to 60' in the winter months to get a room anywhere near the normal 72' (mine was still around 75-78' most nights despite it being around 30' outside).

KING SUITE:
Pros: Each symmetrical rectangular floor has 28 rooms, with the four corners featuring suites. Unlike many HI hotels, where the suites are marginal upgrades, here they are 2.5 times larger than the executive king rooms and very cozy (however, the price does reflect this). The main entrance is a hallway flanked by a small bathroom and closet leading to a living room, which on its own is the size of an executive suite and contains a matching sofa and chair, large coffee table, work desk area, 37" plasma (~30 channels), hardwood flooring and a 6' wet bar complete with a large fridge, microwave, sink and glassware (again, nice touch) with ample shelf space.

The corner room is the bedroom, which is the size of the standard executive room, and features a comfortable chair, dresser, large closet with drawers, ipod hookup alarm clock (appreciated) and a 37" plasma (~50 channels). The sliding door from the living area is very practical, and eliminates the possibility of being woken up by hallway noise. Off the bedroom is a large bathroom with an attractive glass shower. Note there is another wall-mounted heating unit in the bedroom which should be cranked down to 60' in the cold months. Again, the housekeeping standards are very good.

Cons: Neither relatively new phone worked and would not charge, but worked fine if put on speaker (did someone steal the batteries from the handsets?) Despite being on a lower floor, it took a good two minutes to get any hot water in the main bathroom. Newspaper delivery was uneven, maybe 4 of the 9 nights total.

Overall, an impressive property with reasonable rates for downtown Toronto. 4.5 stars.

Room Tip: Suites here are 2.5x larger than executive rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Winchester, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

After a terrible stay once before (with no apology or any comment from staff when I checked out early after one night) I decided to try again because price was good for the location that works well for me.

Things were better this time but it's the oddest mix of experiences of any hotel I've stayed in. For example...

- I'm a Priority Club member and used the special line, but sad girl at check in said nothing, no welcome or anything, just sort of stared at me and checked me in. There is a young guy often on the front desk who was always very pleasant in his greeting etc. but no one else ever said "how are you" or any of the usual pleasantries I experience in most hotels.

- On check-in: You do all the online work of booking, but then at check-in have to fill in all your information again by hand with pen and paper ... what year is this?

- Very small rooms, as others have noted.

- My room had 1 business type chair at the desk and nowhere else to sit but on the bed.

- Room was super-clean, very comfy bed and pillows, large comfortable bathroom.

- The luggage rack in my room was bent so that when opened up and a suitcase on it, it would just slowly fall over.

- I eventually discovered, long after check-in, that the lock on my door was broken, there was no hot water from the hand-held shower head, and the soft-drink machine was broken on our floor (2). I reported all the next morning and my hot water was fine from then on. Lock on the door was not repaired, and I didn't check the pop machine again.

- As others have noted, the wi-fi is free (nice) but brutally slow - don't try to do any downloading or uploading of larger documents. I tethered my iPhone and got my usual instant and rapid service.

On the up side...

- Several of the staff seemed really pleasant (e.g. housekeeping, room service)

- The Cafe on the lobby level facing the street is great, staff there are really nice, do a great job serving up good lattes etc and saved a walk in the cold to Starbucks.

- The resto is comfortable, nicely furnished and to my taste (I think I'm picky) the food and service were great. I actually went back twice and really enjoyed it. Good place to work - wifi in the Cafe and Resto are instant and fast.

So in summary, I say it's a puzzle because... it's newly renovated but in my two stays has had maintenance and/or other issues in the room... the welcome on my two visits was frosty both times but other staff were pleasant... and the Cafe and Resto, which I'd expect might be sort of so-so in that area and in a Holiday Inn lobby, were much better than expected.

I will stay again if price is reasonable, and I'll just be prepared for the fact that it's an odd sort of place I guess. Just a block away for example, the Marriott Courtyard, while not "fancy," is a much more upscale experience and sometimes the price is very near the same. If so, definitely choose the Marriott. But this week the price difference was about $50 per night. I raise it as an example simply because the 2 places are virtually side by side and the Holiday Inn, newly renovated and in such a great location, would seem to have so much potential - but misses the mark in comparison to the Marriott. A little gracious service goes a very long way for frequent travellers.

Room Tip: I was on the north side with a small window looking into a dark alley between the hotel and Maple Le...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Mike V,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations with our facilities and services. We will use your comments to improve our efforts. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre? Share your experiences!