“A Cheap Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre

You added Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2E9, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
edmonton
“A Cheap Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked this hotel for 6 nights after carefully reading Trip Advisor reviews so I knew I was getting a smaller room. My family of 4 (children ages 3 and 6) survived and it was alright. The bathroom was small but nicely remodeled. The sheets were soft and the beds were quite comfortable. That building could seriously use a window cleaning though! If I can't tell the weather by looking out the window, time for a wash!!!
I did not anticipate such a hassle on check in though. We booked thorough Expedia and it seems the hotel did not have enough double rooms to meet demand. One of the desk clerks stated that people should not book through Expedia or Hotwire as they will promise rooms the hotel just doesn't have. He went on to say that if you wish to stay here you should call the hotel directly. I did not care for that Fellow's tone or attitude. Luckily another much more pleasant lady checked us in, initially to two king rooms, then after called over a supervisor managed to find us the Two Double room we were looking for. We were also promised a complimentary breakfast credit for our hassle. I was impressed with the way this situation was handled.
What I was not pleased about was the fact that when we checked out no one noted this breakfast credit on our file and we were told there was nothing they could do as it wasn't noted. So we did not actually receive the free breakfast we were promised.
I would also like to add that a small buffet breakfast for two adults and two young children should not be $40. Not worth it!
While we were there we used the pool on one occasion. It was a standard hotel pool, not good not bad.
The elevators were bad. They were always hot and packed, and the wait for the elevator was often quite long.
I know from experience the fire system works! A pull station was activated on the first night we stayed there and we received a rude awakening early in the morning and the alarm went off for half an hour!! Not the hotels fault but an annoyance anyway.
Despite all it's faults I might return to this hotel if I was looking for a cheap, well located hotel in downtown Toronto. I was impressed that it was 2 minutes from the subway, 5 minutes from Dundas Square and even with two small children we managed to walk to almost every tourist attraction from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear mrsspexx,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am pleased you liked our location and comfortable beds. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience and confusion our staff may have caused regarding your reservations, the breakfast credit you were supposed to receive, elevator services and fire alarm that disturbed your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is the best resource for improving guest services.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. and I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I’ve stayed in budget/ very cheap hotels but this is the first time I’ve had a terrible experience.

We booked 2 double beds room for 4 people however the room was so small that it was hardly room for all of us. We booked the room for 4 people with breakfast, however the check-in staff told us that we only 'bought' 1 breakfast instead of 4 - which totally did not make sense. The staff I was dealing with was not helpful and rude!!

We stayed during a weekend and had a terrible night sleep as there were a GROUP of drunken people in the hallway. There were loud noise of people talking, laughing, running steps and banging doors and the smell of alcohol. How I knew was because I had to wake up 4am to check what was going on outside! I was surprised they didn't have any security camera to monitor the hallways.

The only good things about the hotel is the location and cleanliness. However, overall still a bad experience!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear mewlz,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Toronto.

Karen G.
IHGCare
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed there this past weekend and have mixed reviews about this hotel.

1) It needs elevator maintenance, we waited and waited and the elevator never arrived. We finished by taking the fire exit all weekend, not very glamourous.

2) The cleaning staff is ridiculously loud, screaming in the corridors and maximizing the volume on their radios. My wife worked in the hotel industry a long time and notices these things. It is not professional to have a radio at a maximum volume and screaming at one another. Also, maintenance staff needs to take the service elevator and not the main elevator with guest.

3) Is their security at night ? We heard teenagers screaming all night in the corridor and nothing was done to shut them up.

4) there isnt enough plugs in the room. Needs power bars.

On the plus side, it is in a very good location, front desk staff was very nice and the bed is AMAZINGLY comfy.

Room Tip: - Ask for a room on lower floors, you will be stuck taking the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sector01,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I was delighted to read your review and your very kind comments regarding the front desk staff here and our comfortable beds. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your comments about the elevator and housekeeping services will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
IHG Care
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Exceptional staff in all positions in lobby. Rooms sleek & clean if not a bit small. Comfy, comfy beds, free wifi and fridge in room a bonus. No MW to heat food in fridge. Closets a bit of a pain due to sliding doors, can't access closet & drawers at same time but out of the way and can close doors with one finger. Didn't eat at restaurant or access bar but the coffee shop off the lobby is a vast improvement over any Starbuck's, proprietor/employee took such care to make me a lovely cup of coffee and decor could make u so comfortable u might hang out longer than expected. Only complaint, taking the elevators from garage very time consuming. Waited for the 4th one before we could board. Also 1 elevator was out of commission for 3 days. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Felt like we were on a cruiseship. Size of room and shape of bathroom had a cramped feel. Had two of us in double room, doubt if you could fit four comfortably. Slim hallways as well. All in all a good feel for hotel of this rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Hotel was in a good location and was reasonably priced with helpful staff and rooms were clean.

I stayed here before when it was a Days Inn and, while the lobby was remodelled, the room floors and rooms were unchanged from before.

The main problem with this hotel is that the four elevators are insufficient for 38 floors of rooms. There were always lineups and it is virtually impossible to get a down elevator around teh 11 AM checkout ime - you have to take an up elevator or use the stairs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Warren L,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our Hotel. I am glad to see that you were a guest of ours when we were a Days Inn Hotel and that you came back to see our new and improved offerings. Our owner did close the hotel down for a full year in 2010 and she invested heavily to fully renovate All of the public areas, restaurants and All of the guest room floors and guest rooms as well.
I am sorry that you had to wait for the elevators during your stay. It has been a wonderfully busy summer here in Toronto thanks to the great weather and with our very central location to all the city has to offer, we have been very busy with lots of people coming and going. This high volume of traffic in the hotel will sometimes cause a bit of a wait for the elevators. I thank you for your patience during these times.
I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the services our staff provided as they are always here to please.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you are in Toronto. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and i wish you all the best for the rest of the summer season.

Kindest regards,
Alain
St. Catharines, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is in a fabulous loaction, was very clean and had GREAT staff. My only complaint was that the room was exceptionally small. Would have been fine if I was travelling by myself, but a little tight for coworkers to share.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face Carlton would be quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre? Share your experiences!