“Stay away at all costs, not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Toronto Lakeshore

You added Howard Johnson Toronto Lakeshore to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Toronto Lakeshore
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   14 Roncesvalles Avenue | King St West & Queensway, Toronto, Ontario M6R 2K3, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #127 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
London, Canada
“Stay away at all costs, not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Truly the worst hotel experience of my life.. and I travel quite a bit.

If you book in advance, it is non-refundable or exchangeable.. not surprising because once you get there you will want to leave.

Located in the ghetto of Toronto, I had 2 seperate groups of people outside my room threatening to kill each other in the middle of the day. Very, very noisy with the streetcar station being located directly behind it.

NO parking at hotel. Closest parking is two blocks away and the hotel still charges you $12 per day for it.

Room was not cleaned properly. There was hair in the tub and the bed. There was also a wet rag in the drawer of the night table.

Terrible customer service, I waited 65 minutes to check out of my room because they had 1 staff member working who was very slow.

Finally (this may just be coincidence), I developed a lung infection while in Toronto. It wouldn't really surprise me if it was because of this hotel. Should be called the Hobo, not the Hojo.

I have never written a hotel review before, but felt this one necessary because it is that bad.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, our room was located on the side of Roncevalles street. It was almost as if we were sleeping directly IN the streets, the noise of the streetcars was so loud, even with earplugs I had a hard time sleeping. Forget about putting on the fan of the air conditionning to reduce the noise...it made it worst it sounded as if we had an airplane in the room. We decided to stay since we had already paid AND we taught that we got what we paid for...what could we expect for 55$/ night in Toronto? If it wasn't for the noise, we wouldn't have mind staying there since the location wasn't too bad and the price was quite good for Toronto. We had a double bed which was ok.The room was tiny. It was ok for cleanliness, carpet was clean and bathroom was clean also. There is no elevator and the parking is 2 blocks away. The hotel is located within 20 minutes of downtown Toronto by streetcars (501 and 504). Breakfast was ok (Waffles, bagels, toasts, cereals, jams, cream cheese, juices and coffee, apples). I've read some comments saying the hotel was located in the ghetto...it's not the ghetto, it's not a rich area that's all.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor opposite of the street.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Venice
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We got here on the 14th of march 2011 and we must say the hotel didn't actually look that shabby from the outside, even though the neighborhood is a little Ghettolike!
Anyways, the receptionist was unfriendly and actually only paid attention once and that was when it came to pay the 50 cad deposit. The room was located at the 3rd floor and since there was no elevator we had to carry our 3 big suitcases all the way up without any kind of help offered whatsoever. We were yelled and insulted at by a drunk man who came down the stairs right by the reception desk and nobody even thought of interfering . Once we got into the room, we couldn't believe our eyes. The carpet along the stairs all the way towards the room was already the most disgusting thing we've ever seen but the one in the room topped it. There were stains with the size of a spaghetti bowl, mold stains on the bathroom curtain, on the pillow on the sheets and on the wall. It was announced as a double but it was too small even for a single. We went downstairs to complain but the manager wasn't there so there was nothing she could do. On the next morning we tried to have breakfast but since there was nothing but a waffle maker, we skipped that. Unfortunately the manager wasn't there again so we left to get a new place. Once we found one we took our stuff and left. The room hasn't been cleaned in the morning either. We called the manger the next morning, who turned out to be a very rude, unreasonable and uneducated person. He wouldn't let me finish one sentence and referred to his policy there is no way to get a refund about 5 times during that conversation. All in all THIS HOTEL IS A SCAM!!! and we can only highly recommend you not to go there, not even for a dollar a day!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

i have not seen a front desk staff like that,,he was so terrible,,the rudest ever he didn't even let me talk yelling at me on the phone there is noway to talk with him on the phone.i was trying to explain him something he didn't want to listen and put me hold 3 4 times.who ever reads this comment if you want to have nice vacation DO NOT STAY THIS HOWARD JOHNSON!!!!!!!! i also know his name but im not giving his name here. i will never ever recommend that howard johnson to anybody and i will always complain about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Don't believe what you read!! Very good value, not the cleanest, great breakfast, street car stops right in front of Hotel. There is a Mcdonalds next door and convience store across the street. I would recommend staying here for the price not bad at all!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Wilkes-Barre
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

My father had stayed at a tourist home 2 blocks from here every year for years. I wished to stay somewhere with a few amenities instead. Oh boy, where to begin.

The neighborhood isn't the best, but it's not the ghetto either. Behind the hotel is a streetcar parking area. We stayed three nights, and I only heard the streetcars one morning (I think because that was the only weekday morning of the trip). The room is extremely small. The room had two double beds, one for me and one for my father. The distance from the foot of the bed to the wall was less than a foot. The person who slept in the bed further from the door had to really squeeze through. The hotel has three stores. There is no elevator. Once you get to the top of the stairs, you need the room key to just get onto your floor. The walls are very thin, so when you're in the hallway you can hear the other people on your floor.

The hotel parking is an underground garage in an apartment building two blocks away and costs $12 per night. There is a surface lot half the distance and the sign says they were charging half the price. Good luck unloading your car, since there is no where to legally park long enough to run in and register and get the keys to your room and the key to the garage.

I have stayed at many Howard Johnson's so I wasn't expecting a lot. But I was expecting more than was offered. Next year when we go to Toronto, we won't be staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

The staff in this hotel knows that if you go inside, you won't stay. This is the reason they offer 30% off in 3 days stay. Very atractive for people don't know this horrible place. After you arrive and see all around or go to undescriptibles room, you will never can cancel and have your money back. No choice....stay in there frustaded or gift them your money just for nothing. I will never come back and I will never recommend this hotel. When I see that appear somebody telling something diferent or saying that this is a very good place, even a good place, I know for sure that is somebody instructed for them to do it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Howard Johnson Toronto Lakeshore? Share your experiences!