“small but everything you need” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

You added The Strathcona Hotel to your Saves list
The Strathcona Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 York St. | At Wellington St., Toronto, Ontario M5J 1S8, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Barrie, Canada
“small but everything you need”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

location location location - we were staying there for a wedding in the brewery district and it was perfect. The room we had was very small but clean and right where we needed to be. Lots of restaurants near by and of course right across from Union station. Go downstairs to the bar/lounge in the hotel. What a hidden gem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hi Taurusthebull14,

Thank you so much for the kind review. I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed yourselves!

And a wedding in the Distillery District - Awesome!

If you are ever back in the area, feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation.

Hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend with my husband and loved it. The staff was lovely and very friendly and our room was very clean.

It's the perfect hotel if you are not looking for something super fancy and it is right in the center of everything.

We would stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Blaze,

Thank you for leaving us (and fellow travellers) your review!

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just returned from Toronto at the Ontario Library Conference. This hotel was one of the recommended Hotels for attendees at the conference. Don't know why! Location is about the best that one can say for this venue as the Hotel itself offers only the very basic amenities. The room assigned to me was quite literally the smallest I have ever stayed at with the exception of the Euston Square Hotel in London England. The room offered two single beds which were quite comfortable though too short (I am six foot one"). Heating was ok. The Bathroom was not cleaned properly though not so bad as to ask for another room. The room itself may have been 10 ft by 10 ft and with two single beds that is quite cramped. There is no desk so if you need to work you need to go to the lobby. The walls of the room are quite thin so that I was able to hear my next door neighbours quite clearly as well as any corridor traffic that passed by. The price I paid was $129/night but as I said before location is the only positive as it is only two blocks from Union station and the same from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. As for dining, I did not use the breakfast service as there are quite a few better venues on the streets surrounding the location. Banks are plentiful. Service was OK but not really cheerfully provided. In short, I would have happily paid a bit more for a more positive experience. I will not return to this Hotel as there are enough other choices in the area.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any good ones.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We are glad that the hotel location and comfort of the beds met your satisfaction. However, I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.

Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes during high demand periods an alternate room type may not be available for upgrade. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time.

We do hope you will provide us the opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto, so you can experience our larger rooms and all the hotel has to offer.

Please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room, or if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
Arcata, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were happy to find this hotel at the price we did; much cheaper via a hotel-finder website than via the hotel's own website.
Our room phone broke for no obvious reason; they replaced it right away.
Hotel was clean and nice, but the room was very tiny and nothing was included. There was a charge for almost everything (coffee in the lobby, breakfast, internet, local calls, etc.).
The staff were very sweet and helpful, but there is only so much they can do.
Easy walk to attractions; 5 blocks to the Roy Thomson Hall, which was helpful in the icey cold.
Did not eat in the restaurant; too many more interesting places to eat with more affordable prices.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hi Bonmon707,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to hear you found the cleanliness and value in our hotel acceptable, and please keep in mind that if you contact the hotel directly you can receive the lowest price through our Guest Service Agents. (Feel free to contact me directly next time you are in town and I will ensure you receive the right price!) I'm also delighted to hear you found our staff so helpful and accommodating.

Though you will find Downtown properties have some fees you may not find in the Suburbs, we do keep continue to strive to keep ours competitive to help with the price.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon! =)
Bracebridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I arrived in Toronto by train after 7 p.m. on a cold, windy, stormy Thursday night. I wish I had remembered that I could go UNDERGROUND from Union Station to the York Hotel and then pop up right across the street. I took a taxi. to cover about one block ;~(. Next time, and there will be a next time. great service at the front desk. I loved the simplicity and modernity of the room. Everything I needed except dinner, but Bardi's steak house IS next door. Plenty of electrical outlets for my laptop, phone, and tablet. Hi - speed internet access. Did I mention a great price for a downtown hotel? Breakfast next morning was right there, the York Cafe.. I have dietary constraints. The staff was able to accommodate that along with delicious coffee. Front desk ordered me a taxi for the next stage of my travels. I have no idea whether there is a pool or spa.. didn't look.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor.. no great view, but I closed the shutters to keep out the cold.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hi TrainRyder,

Thank you for your review!

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

And just so you know, we do not have a Pool or Spa, but we do have a fantastic pub located in the lower level of the hotel for dinner. You'll have to try it out next time you're in town. (And the best part is you don't have to step foot in the cold to get to the pub!) =)

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back much sooner than later!
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have always felt this site was very accurate in its reviews, but I am stunned at the number of positive reviews of this hotel, and this one hotel makes me wonder about the validity of reviews of this site. I have had bad service before at hotels and restaurants and there are several types: indifferent, cold, curt, rude, and flat out insulting. The staff here fit all categories, the simple act of asking questions caused the staff to give us eye rolls, tsks, and condescending remarks.
The rooms were rather tiny and not at all comfortable. The hotel is very noisy with drunk teens. There is no security to contain troublemakers. Calling front desk in the middle of the night was a total waste of time. After mentioning the trouble encountered in the middle of the night, all we got was a "oh well" attitude.
Didn't like this place, it's really pretty awful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Drago672,

First and foremost I am very sorry to hear you have not had good experiences while staying with us. Customer Service is of the utmost importance to us, so to hear of anything less is very disappointing indeed.

I would like to investigate this further, so I can find out which staff members need further training and/or appropriate disciplinary action if needed. I had sent you a private message as well a couple weeks ago, so I can get the name your reservation was under, and what date(s) you stayed? I will certainly keep you involved in the actions taken to prevent another experience like this for other travellers.

If you have any further comments or concerns, please never hesitate to contact me.

And if you are in the area again, I would be happy to provide you with an upgraded room, with breakfast and a bottle of wine included.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Newcastle, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have stayed at the Strathcona a number of times but this is my first review. We stayed in late December (at attended the Headstones concert I might add that evening). The hotel is very Boutique, nothing exceptional but for the price, all we wanted was a bed and a place to hang our toques...the rooms are very small...I would compare them to the same style offered in NYC (but at a much higher premium). Starbucks is right around the corner. Parking is nearby at Municipal underground a mere 2 min walk. A good, comfortable choice that doesn't break the bank.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Hello BernieMc,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review!

Wow! I haven't heard of the Headstones in a while. I trust you enjoyed the concert!

Happy to hear you have stayed with us several times, and find the value in the comfort and location of our property. We really are fortunate to be right in the middle of all the action!

If you are ever back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room, and I will see that you receive an upgrade to try one of our larger room types.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Been to The Strathcona Hotel? Share your experiences!