“Great Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

You added The Strathcona Hotel to your Saves list
The Strathcona Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 York St. | At Wellington St., Toronto, Ontario M5J 1S8, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #68 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Waterloo, Canada
“Great Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Spent New Years Eve here with a young lady; we chose the Strathcona based on price and location. We paid $230 after tax for the room on NYE, when the other hotels were charging $400+, so we were pretty happy with that.

Yes, the rooms are small. So is the bathroom sink (according to the young lady lol). Yes, the soundproofing is poor. If you're looking to save a few bucks and spend the night in a clean hotel, then I recommend the Strathcona. We spent $2.99 on ear plugs because we read the reviews; we slept all night/morning with no troubles. The bed was extremely comfortable!

Thanks to Ravi at the front desk for helping us with our deposit issue and ensuring we had a room. We would have had to stay at a different hotel if it weren't for his help.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for night out with my gal pals. I booked a double room, which I discovered upon check in meant two twin beds in a closet sized room. The front desk clerk advised me that boutique meant small and charged me to upgrade the room I expected to have. My second room was nicer with two queen beds and a more comfortable space. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything on your floor, there was also no free wi-fi or anything else to entice me to stay here again. Great location just not worth what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Hi Melanie,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. We are glad that the hotel cleanliness and location met with your complete satisfaction. Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. We do hope we will have an opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto.

I welcome you to contact me directly to arrange any future bookings.

Have a safe and happy holiday season!

Kind Regards
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Three of my team members and I stayed at the Strathcona during our trip to Toronto for the Bing Conference and Xbox One launch. We were surprised by the amazing customer service at the front desk and we loved the free coffee and tea. We enjoyed the rooms, but realized the two-double bedroom was actually quite larger and more detailed then the king sized room. We really liked the floor to ceiling mirrors for us to get ready. They also had really cool ipod charger stations with music in each room. Great idea! Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Chose the two double bedroom for the larger room and more open concept.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hi Courtney,

I am very pleased to hear you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Have a safe & happy holiday season!
Lucknow, ONtario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

this time we were given a tiny room and there was h air in the bed, then i checked between flat sheet and comforter- more hair, then I checked under the bed scarf and comforter- more hair.

I left a note for the maid but I presume it was thrown out as I never heard any more

we are booked for Feb 14 and after that we will just stay elsewhere I believe as we have had 2 other bad experiences at this hotel and 3 decent ones - a little too chancy

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hi Kathi,

I am very sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience with us. I did not get a chance to view your comment card so please accept my apology for not responding to you sooner.

We take our cleanliness and Customer Service very seriously, so to hear you did not experience 100% satisfaction is disappointing. I have shared your review with my Housekeeping and Front Desk teams for further training.

Please contact me directly regarding your Valentines Day reservation and I will be sure you receive the true Strathcona Hotel experience!

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back next month!
ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We spent one night there. What is good about this place is the location and the rooms are clean. Thats where it ends. As people state...the room is the tiniest room I have ever stayed in. It is basically the size of the bed. To open the closet door we had to stand on the bed in front of the closet...come one...Really!!! That is unacceptable. The internet, they charge $6 per room/per device. Every other place it is included...okay, so not only to they overcharge on the room, but now they nickel and dime the customer that dont actaully walk out after seeing the room! The internet we took for 'one device' was so slow, it would not even open up a browser..really...this is what they charge for???? The hotel lobby offers coffe for $1.75 per cup (nothing complimentary here) The breakfast we bought was $15 per person...It was okay, but no where near worth the $30 we spent. All in all...if this is the best deal in the city, then increase your budget and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: there is no good room....you will always feel like you are sleeping in the hallway.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AshokNarula, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Hi Mrs Beasely,

Its unfortunate that your experience at the hotel was not to your entire satisfaction. Our hotel offers a 100% Guest Satisfaction guarantee and we would do everything possible to correct any issue that you were unsatisfied with. Unfortunately we did not learn of the challenges you incurred during your stay. Wishing you a happy holiday season!

Kind Regards
Waterdown, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I highly do not recommend the hotel to anyone. We paid $140 for a one night stay here last weekend. First off, The rooms are TINY. Second off, they charged us $320 for a noise complaint we got that was actually the room next to us (due to the paper thin walls). On top of that we had to pay a $100 deposit, that they are not giving us back. The hotel manager on duty, Magda, was very rude and uneasy helping to deal with our problem.This hotel had no proof or verification that it was actually our room that was making the noise. When we called to tell them what happened that night and talk about the charges on the credit card, they decided it was best to just hang up the phone on us. The hotel just schemes you into getting your money. Very rude and unprofessional manager. Safe to say we will never be returning here.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
Hi Tiana and friends,

As per the noise policy that you signed at check in, it is clearly stated that any noise complaint will be followed by one warning before a guest is asked to vacate the room and that any rebate that will be extended to guests who are disturbed will be charged to the room causing the disturbance.

The hotel received 6 complaints from rooms on the floor occupied by you. Some of the guests spoke directly to the occupants of your room and have complained to the hotel that they were verbally harassed.

The staff of the hotel rightfully should have imposed the Noise Policy. However, being a group of young adults, the hotel staff showed tremendous restraint and continued to request your group to stop disturbance to other guests.

When one stays in a hotel we have to be respectful of other guests.

I am sorry we tried to connect with each other and have been unsuccessful. I would be happy to speak with you anytime. I left my cell number on your voice mail.
Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have not booked many hotel rooms in the past in spite of this kind of situation happening. My friend and I enjoyed a night out on the town and came back at a decent time. The walls are paper thin and you can hear every breathe your neighbors make. With this in mind my neighbors were not quiet. At the beginning of the night when first signing in they make you sign a hotel policy. No problem with the policy, completely understandable.

Unfortunately, upon checking out, I was charged with the noise complaints that MY NEIGHBORS were receiving. Turns out that my neighbors complained about us, therefore we get their entire bill. Being a young lady and an easy target, I have no arguments to make. They have no proof, but unfortunately they have my visa number. So much for innocent until proven guilty..

In addition, there was no service to even comment on. When we first arrived, there was no one at the front desk to greet us. We waited an entire 10 minutes until someone came. And didn't apologize for the wait. The hotel restaurant had tiny glasses (Almost the size of a shot glass) for your morning beverage, and the food was very basic and plain tasting (Not that I was expecting a fancy 5 star meal).

Unfortunately after this experience I not only will be 150% cautious of where I stay but also of who I give my visa too. I will not be related with any franchise that The Strathcona Hotel is involved with ever again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Autumn and friends,

As per the noise policy signed by the registered occupant of room at check in, it is clearly stated that any noise complaint will be followed by one warning before a guest is asked to vacate the room and that any rebate that will be extended to guests who are disturbed will be charged to the room causing the disturbance.

When one stays in a hotel we have to be respectful of other guests.

I am sorry i tried to connect with Tiana and have been unsuccessful. I would be happy to speak with you anytime. I left my cell number on Tiana's voice mail.

Been to The Strathcona Hotel? Share your experiences!