“Good value for one night business stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

You added The Strathcona Hotel to your Saves list
The Strathcona Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 York St. | At Wellington St., Toronto, Ontario M5J 1S8, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Good value for one night business stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This review will essentially verify what others have said recently about this property. I stayed on the 9th floor in an executive room with two double beds, facing York St. The room decor was a very chic, chrome/red/white and looks very European. Good points are location, cleanliness and friendly staff. Areas to be aware of are outside noise (construction on York St and garbage trucks at 5 am), no on-site parking, and very small rooms (by North American standards).

I was attending a conference at the Royal York Fairmont which is right across the street and found this hotel very convenient and much less expensive than the host hotel. Ironically enough, I think I could have got a cheaper rack rate if I had booked the room myself online vice accepting the "conference rate." Internet was good but is not included in the room rate. I had a small desk built in to the wall that was suitable for a work laptop.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to a business traveller who needs the convenience of a location near Front St/University Ave/York St intersection, doesn't want to spend oodles of cash, and just needs a place for a night or two. I would not recommend for families with children due to lack of amenities.

Room Tip: Book online at the Strathcona Hotel's own website.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
locationvaluefresh, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Conference Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the travelling public. I am glad that you found the hotel a great value proposition for business travel. For people traveling with families we do offer larger two queen bedded rooms. Being located in the heart of the city, families normally find it very convenient and "easy on the purse", to walk to Toronto's must see attractions and select from a wide variety of family dining options. Thank you once again. All of us at The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto look forward to having you back with us at the next convention if not earlier. Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I got a room at this hotel as I was attending a class downtown Toronto. The location is great - walking distance from the train station.

During my stay, I noticed that people working at the hotel were very friendly.

I had one of their regular room with 2 double beds. While very clean, I found it kind of small. Unlike most hotel I have seen in the past, once you open the door, the first bed is right there only a couple of feet away from the door. So the sleeping part of the room had 2 beds with enough space to walk around the beds and to the closet and bathroom. There were no desk, table or even chairs. so basically you had to use the beds for everything. The room had a tv (flat screen) attached the wall between the 2 beds. One nice thing was there was no carpets on the floor but floating wood floor - easier to clean. The bathroom was also small - no counter space so had to use some shelving unit to put some of my stuff.

While 4 can sleep in that room, I would not recommend it to family with small children - as there are no space to burn that extra energy. Upgrading to the business rooms may be more appropriate. My comment to the owner, would be to study how often you get 3 or more people in those regular rooms and if appropriate remove one of the bed and put a desk and chair instead.

I did not use their breakfast room but prices seems adequate and not overly pricy like other Hotels. On the other hand, I used the pub connected to the hotel once and the food was good and again with normal price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Good day Yvon,

Thank you kindly for writing a review of our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Toronto. You are correct about our Pub having great food and beer. It is a perfect place to grab a dinner and a drink when you are staying at our hotel or heading to an event downtown Toronto. You are also correct that our standard rooms with two double beds would not be ideal for a family of four. We have six standard rooms with two double beds in the hotel that are great for two or three people and we have fourteen rooms on our Executive floors with either two double or two queen beds that are larger and more suitable for four guests. Thank you again and we hope you visit us again soon from your lovely city of Montreal!
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is very modern and clean, and I found the staff quite friendly and helpful. The rooms are small but very nice, and all the linens are fresh and clean. Did not have much of a view because of where the room was located, but since I only stayed the one night I just closed the shutters and didn't think twice about it. The bed and pillows are also very comfortable.

Downsides of the hotel include how badly noise carries. I was able to hear the tv in another room. It was faint but for some it might be annoying. Also, since we stayed on a weekend that hosted a Leafs game and a comic convention there was a lot of traffic. Unfortunately it occurred very late at night/very early in the morning and other occupants of the hotel did not seem to care how much noise they were making. That was definitely a specific circumstance, but you WILL hear everything going on outside your room and this can be problematic for a light sleeper - my suggestion would be to bring ear plugs.

Another disappointment was that there was no on site parking and we ended up having to pay nearly $50 for the one night - the hotel does not offer discounts for their guests at the nearby parking structure.

Finally for some reason there was an alarm set for 6 am on the bedside iPod dock that I had no idea about. Having had a pretty bad nights sleep I was annoyed at being woken up out of no where.

I stayed at the Strathcona because I acquired a good rate through a Groupon deal but I'm not sure that I would stay again. If you plan on staying here just remember to take into consideration the noise and don't forget the rooms are small and may not fit your needs.

One last thing: it is immediately downtown and very close to EVERYTHING which was a plus.

• Stayed March 2013
Hi ErikaElizabeth,

Thank you for your very detailed feedback. I am happy to note that you found the Hotel location, cleanliness and service to your complete satisfaction. I will share the feedback with the rest of my team! We also greatly appreciate your patience with the higher than normal sound of those celebrating. The bedside alarm setting of the previous guest should have been changed by us....i sincerely apologise for your sleep being cut short by this occurence. We have discussed with all the sorrounding parking lots for a prefered status/ special pricing for our hotel guests but have not been successful so far. Fee at the Green P parking lot adjoining the hotel is more reasonable($24) than others. Thank you once again and we look forward to having you back with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Despite what a number of people have said before, I found this hotel extremely clean, well staffed, and not noisy at all. I did ask for the upgrade to the larger room, which was still small to North American standards but quite normal if you view it as a European styled hotel. I appreciated being close Union Station and the Fairmont, where my business meetings were, and an entrance to "The Path" was really close by. The only thing that was wrong with my room was that the tv was fuzzy. I would have appreciated free internet as well, wasn't willing to pay the money for the 3 hours I was going to be able to use it.

The food at the buffet was decent but I wasn't quite sure it was $14 worthy. I would recommend ordering from the ala carte menu which looked really tasty from what I saw on other people's plate. Considerably cheaper too.

Both airport shuttles drop off and pick up the next block over which makes it easy to get to and from for flying.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the construction. Higher rooms are the larger ones.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello Natalie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly appreciate your kind words and your advice to people who will be staying with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Toronto in the very near future!
Chatham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I will definetly stay at the Strathcona again!! I found the hotel modern, very clean rooms, great bed & pillows & lots of heat if need be. The room was all I needed & it cost me over $100.00 less than the 4 star hotel I had stayed at the month before & it was Better than that hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Diane,

Thank you kindly for your comments. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto very soon!
Wainfleet, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the rooms were very clean, and the rates were reasonable. The rooms aren't huge, but for downtown Toronto it was very lovely. The Pub downstairs was good as well and the portions were huge. It was only a few blocks to walk to the Eaton Centre and it is only one block from Union Station. There are lots of restaurants in the area and our room was surprisingly quiet at night time (couldn't hear much traffic, only a honk or two). Overall, we had a great stay. If you're looking for a hotel near all amenities and that isn't too loud, this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hi Riisa,

Thank you for your lovely review!

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to welcome you back soon!
Cardinal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is ideally located within walking distance of downtown Toronto attractions, Union Station and Airport Shuttles. It is on York st. 1/2 block from the west door of the Fairmont Royal York. So, if you are attending a convention at the Fairmont, you can save yourself a whole bunch of money and stay at the Strath. The rooms are tiny, but well cleaned and maintained. There is a breakfast restaurant in the hotel with a modest, but certainly adequate buffet. There is a pub in the basement, with a good selection of beer. Right next door is, well known "Bardi's Steak House". About three blocks north on York st., there is a great "Keg" restaurant. Right across the street from the Strath. is a Tim Hortons. For those of you, not Canadian residents, "Timmies" is Canada's favourite coffee and donut shop.
About the only downside of the Strath I can think of, other than the small rooms: there is no on site nor valet parking, although there are several parking garages in the close vicinity. Check the hotel directly on the Internet for deals.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Awsuml,

Thank you kindly for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your thorough and complimentary analysis. The "Timmies" across the street from our hotel is a definite asset to our guests from all around the world and our staff. Not a day goes by where we do not see someone walking through our lobby carrying the most famous coffee in Canada! We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto in the near future!

Been to The Strathcona Hotel? Share your experiences!