“cool lobby” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites

You added Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   175 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario M3C 1J3, Canada (Formerly Crowne Plaza)   |
Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Florida City, Florida
“cool lobby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel has an interesting lobby with a few places to lounge around. Also has a bar in the lobby. Parking is twelve dollars per night. The room was average. Average decor, average comfort. Nothing to write home about. There was no ventilation in the bathroom so it was warm and stuffy in there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is the second stay at this hotel for a business conference in the area. Very nice boutique hotel with nice touches such as heated flooring in the bathroom. I would definitely recommend the upgraded rooms. Would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Book the upgraded room
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Surprised other ratings aren't higher. We enjoyed it & had no problems.
Friendly, efficient check-in.
Good rate - $97 (via hotels.com) for the "deluxe" king room, which was perfectly nice, though nothing spectacular, either.
Clean, comfortable room. Good sleep. Quiet.
Place has had repairs since our 2013 stay; decor didn't seem as tired.
Enjoyed pool, hot tub & large fitness area (several machines). Did not see any other parts of the building.
Heat was too high when we arrived and thermostat blew cold air (in March) when we lowered it by 3C. But lowered it by less and temp was fine all night.
Parking was $13.50. Never like paying for parking, but this isn't the worst we've seen.
Not much apart from the Ontario Science Centre to see in neighbourhood, which is mostly office towers and busy streets, so we rated the neighbourhood 3/5. But we didn't book here to see local attractions, either.
Maybe we're missing something seen by other reviewers, but we're shocked by their negativity.
We will stay there again and we recommend it.

Room Tip: Hallways are quite long. Be sure to reservation folks if you can't walk the beige mile from the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We were in Toronto for a relative's birthday and stayed at the hotel for the night. We got a great deal of 68 bucks on travel zoo and for that price we could not say no, it was much easier than driving home. We wanted to bring our dog and found out they had a pet friendly floor! The cost of the pet friendly room was 11 dollars plus tax, not a bad deal considering you couldn't board your dog for that price! The room was very clean and no frills really. The pet floor was pretty quiet, only the sound of a barking Yorkie could be heard as you walked past their room. Overall, a reasonable stay. The only criticism was that the doors at the end of the hallway were locked so you could take your dog out the side of the building rather than walk it through the crowded lobby. I was a little inconvenient to have to walk through the lobby to take my dog out. For the price it would be worth it, but I would not say the regular cost of 100 plus taxes would be worth the visit.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms as the end of the hall for the pet floor, much more quiet with less foot traffic.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Oradea, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The stay was, I guess, overall decent, however I found it quite pricey for what this hotel offers. I was on a business trip while staying at the Don Valley and did not spend a lot of time there, basically I just used the hotel for sleep and breakfast. There is a wing of the hotel which is newer that the other (still not very modern, nor new), so make sure you ask for that when getting checked in.Those rooms are actually nice (standard hotel rooms however). The king bed is very comfortable, there is a big flat TV, iron table with iron, coffee machine, a desk which would be useful if working from the hotel. The bathroom is decent, nothing special about it. Cleanliness is standard. Each room has a balcony which depending on what side you are located, your room is either facing the green area from the back of the hotel, or the other buildings close by. Make sure you don't get a room next to the elevator because the sound is really annoying (I had to change my room because the elevator was pretty noisy). The breakfast buffet is quite diverse, but repetitive; during one week of stay we got kinda tired of it. I did not try lunch or dinner at the restaurant. The location of the hotel is pretty ok, since it is relatively close to the downtown area - 10-15 mins drive and has even a bus stop right as you leave the hotel premises. I did not use the pool area, but it looks pretty nice.
One thing that I disliked regarding this hotel is the fact that apart from the total cost of the stay, they also took aprox. 100CAD/day warranty which should be returned after the account is settled, so make sure you have that amount of money on your card if staying there.
Overall, the stay at Don Valley was ok, but expected a little bit more for the price paid. Don't get your hopes to high and then you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not next to the elevator. Also make sure you get checked in on the new/renova...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
kevipor, General Manager at Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear June3086,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and for sharing your recent experience. As you could probably tell during your visit there were several upgrades happening to the property, including elevator upgrades, new state of the art wireless internet service as well as several other related projects. I am hopeful these upgrades will assist in meeting the needs of valued travelers as yourself and we look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Best regards,
Kevin Porter,
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is my absolute LEAST preferred Toronto Hotel.

As a member of the Sterling Hotel Group's, "iPrefer" program, I am appalled by the manner in which I was greeted at the front desk. Equally disappointed at having pre-booked my room through the hotel's website, my room was not available! I was also questioned about arriving early for check-in, though it is a well known perk offered to iPrefer members.

The pompous attitude of the desk staff was ridiculous as was the fact that I was refused earning 750 aeroplan miles (advertised at desk and online) for my IPrefer booking.

The hallway to my (sub)standard room, was cluttered with dirty dishes and oversized cleaning trolleys. The room was in need of desperate repair and cleaning, with ripped wallpaper, shoe scuff marks on the wall, ancient heater with missing dial, hairs left in the bathtub, dirty lampshades and unbelievably a Tube television that hummed and failed to tune in most channels!

From the pompous attitudes, hallways and unclean, sub-par room, I will STRONGLY recommend you do NOT stay at this hotel.

Dear Business Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for taking the time to meet with my assistant while at the hotel. As you may remember, I did notice some confusion during your check-in and had immediately sent my assistant to see if she could in anyway assist. I do understand at that time you were not comfortable in having discussions and based on your feedback, I am now clear why. Please know our associate was in no way trying to undermine you, but simply explaining that the hotel could not hold your deposit past your cutoff date and then use this towards a future stay. Again, I am sorry this was not properly explained and do apologize if this caused any discomfort. You have now met my assistant and she would be more than happy to take care of any future bookings with you directly.

Best regards,
Kevin Porter,
Ottawa, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

In the nineteen-nineties, this hotel might have passed for a good option for business travellers.
Looking past the aging once-hip lobby,you're probably in for a mild disappointment.

Two elevators, curiously kitty-corner from one another serve the two long hallways to the rooms.
Rooms are dated, tube-tv's, peeling wall-paper, scratched paint. If this place has been updated as I've read, it was when I graduated high-school. Wifi is sketchy at best. During a futile effort to get ice on my floor (concrete floor where the ice machine should be), found me disturbing repairman fixing wires hanging from the ceiling a floor up in the pitch dark.

On my small balcony with no view, there was a pair of men's socks flung on the ice, amidst cigarette butts. Maid must have missed that. Bathroom was clean enough, but the toilet was older than I was. Cheap low-level toiletries. Bring your own. It's nice to open the glass doors of the balcony however to enjoy to some second-hand smoke from your neighbouring guests.

Ever-reluctant to give a bad review, I cannot help but pull out a magnifying glass on a property when I see a type-o on the posted elevator licence as it labours to get me up one floor.

The staff are nice enough when they are not on the phone. Good to be busy I guess. Hotel restaurant seemed full around 7pm, as there really isn't anyway where to go within walking distance, and they were only to happy to uncork my bottle of wine as my room nor the front desk had a corkscrew. My party ordered pizza from La Famiglia. Highly recommended.

Checked out early to the sound of techno pumping as the cooks began laying out the breakfast buffet at 6am. Free parking. Silver lining?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!