“Nothing spectacular” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   175 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario M3C 1J3, Canada (Formerly Crowne Plaza)   |
Ranked #81 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“Nothing spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently took advantage of a special internet offer for a night at the Toronto Don Valley Hotel. I'd read some mixed reviews so decided to take them up on their offer of a 30$ upgrade. The room had been recently renovated and included a docking station and flat screen tv. The bed seemed new and firm. Because it's an older building the walls were a bit thin and any hallway activity was easily overheard. Nice little bar/bistro downstairs that was fairly priced. Affordable pizza delivery to your room was a nice offering. Pool looked great, and though I didn't go in, others said it was warm. Best thing going would be the proximity to the 401. A few minutes after leaving the hotel, you could be rolling down the highway avoiding any of the traffic you'd encounter when staying closer to the city centre.

Room Tip: upgrade your room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Lobby - Welcoming and holds true to their motto "urban resort". I feel like they could use some new speakers though... The music creates such an akward radio- music, which really did not suit the decor.

Rooms - We had the basic 2 Double Bed rooms situated on the 2nd floor. I think it was supposed to be a Queen sized bed but it looked more like Double beds. Which was pretty disappointing. The lighting was pretty dim, and the bathroom was really small. Also, the heater/ac switch was basically an on/off thing, but can't control how hot/cold it is... or at least the button/temperature thing was stuck on "wait"... whatever that meant.

Parking - Free for us since it was a part of the deal we got but the parking lot was pretty packed. I would've paid a little bit more if there was underground parking available (not offered)

Indoor Pool - The indoor pool looked so good in pictures and basically what made us want to celebrate new years eve here. But it's a little disappointing once you get there. First of all, we had issues locating the actual pool and you basically have to know that it's that it' a part of the R--something club. Then you get there and there was basically no lighting. Which, I guess is nice to have some dim lighting for the evening, but it's got that dim that's pretty much fine-line creepy.

Breakfast - For $13.95, they had the breakfast buffet from something like 7am-1pm (time may vary, but this was on for new years eve/day. Definitely worth it, the fresh croissants and the unlimited salmon and cottage cheese got me. I wish that they made fresh eggs benedict along with the customized omelettes. --not everyone wants a ham/meat eggs benedict.

Room Tip: If you had the extra $$, try and see if you can get one of the upgraded rooms. I never went but I he...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed here with another couple. Very nice inside - décor. Very helpful at front desk. Rooms were nicely decorated, but could tell rooms were a bit dated. Bathtub was old, few things broken off wall in bathroom. Sliding door to balcony didn't work too well. Bed was very comfortable. We got a deal on WagJag (Jaunt) to stay here and also a deal for Toronto Dinner Cruise (please don't spend your money on the cruise!!!)
We had breakfast the next morning in the restaurant - very very expensive $70 for 4 - bacon/eggs!!! Food was not very good - not sure about lunch or dinner, but breakfast was terrible. Parking was included in the deal as well.

Room Tip: ask for balcony if you're a smoker
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ottawa canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I signed up for their frequent stay club for free. This gave me $10 off the already low rate for this booking. Free Internet, free excellent breakfast, free parking. The hotel was clean, beds were comfortable. Location was great. Very near Eglington and don valley parkway. I'll go back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tottenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently attended a course for work in Toronto and it was my great pleasure to stay at the Don Valley Hotel for five nights. The staff are very friendly, the hotel is clean and the food is terrific. My room was very comfortable and quiet.
The pool was wonderful, I had it to myself most of the time. It is kept very clean and at a pleasant temperature. The sauna in the woman's change room was a real bonus.
The bistro was very warm and comfortable. The servers were very friendly and the food was very good. Nothing to complain about here!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. I was on the second floor and it was great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
kevipor, Manager at Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We would like to personally thank you for making the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, your hotel of choice while visiting Toronto and we thank you for your comments.
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I got a deal online with Groupon to stay at this hotel, obviously I checked the hotel out first and saw it was currently under renos. I hoped I would get a nice new room considering I was staying mid week, nope ended up getting an older one. There wasn't much wrong with the room but it clearly needed updating! Bathtub drain was clogged, the door to the balcony wouldn't fully close allowing outside noise to come in, but at least the bed was comfortable.
Overall I'd probably try out a different hotel next time unless I was offered a newly renovated room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Toronto Don Valley Hotel over the November 9-11th weekend. While we were not happy with some aspects of the hotel (the pool could have used a bit more cleaning, as we saw a few bugs in the pool as well as in the pool showers), we were happily surprised with others.

We got a deluxe room, which had been recently renovated and was nicely furnished. The bed mattresses were a bit lopsided (down towards the telephone side, as usual). The bathroom was very clean, and the instant one brew coffee system was a nice touch.

The breakfast buffet was well worth the money, and the staff there was friendly and helpful. The staff at the restaurant during the day could have been a bit friendlier - I sat down with my four year old at one of the tables, and got promptly kicked out as she saw that I pulled out food for her. We could have been asked our intentions, which were initially to order food for me, and have her eat her home-prepared snack due to allergies. Instead, we left.

All in all, good value for the service (we paid $89 plus tax).

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the recently renovated rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!