“Wonderful stay!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   175 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario M3C 1J3, Canada (Formerly Crowne Plaza)   |
Ranked #82 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Tottenham
“Wonderful stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently attended a course for work in Toronto and it was my great pleasure to stay at the Don Valley Hotel for five nights. The staff are very friendly, the hotel is clean and the food is terrific. My room was very comfortable and quiet.
The pool was wonderful, I had it to myself most of the time. It is kept very clean and at a pleasant temperature. The sauna in the woman's change room was a real bonus.
The bistro was very warm and comfortable. The servers were very friendly and the food was very good. Nothing to complain about here!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. I was on the second floor and it was great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
kevipor, Manager at Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We would like to personally thank you for making the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, your hotel of choice while visiting Toronto and we thank you for your comments.

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I got a deal online with Groupon to stay at this hotel, obviously I checked the hotel out first and saw it was currently under renos. I hoped I would get a nice new room considering I was staying mid week, nope ended up getting an older one. There wasn't much wrong with the room but it clearly needed updating! Bathtub drain was clogged, the door to the balcony wouldn't fully close allowing outside noise to come in, but at least the bed was comfortable.
Overall I'd probably try out a different hotel next time unless I was offered a newly renovated room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Toronto Don Valley Hotel over the November 9-11th weekend. While we were not happy with some aspects of the hotel (the pool could have used a bit more cleaning, as we saw a few bugs in the pool as well as in the pool showers), we were happily surprised with others.

We got a deluxe room, which had been recently renovated and was nicely furnished. The bed mattresses were a bit lopsided (down towards the telephone side, as usual). The bathroom was very clean, and the instant one brew coffee system was a nice touch.

The breakfast buffet was well worth the money, and the staff there was friendly and helpful. The staff at the restaurant during the day could have been a bit friendlier - I sat down with my four year old at one of the tables, and got promptly kicked out as she saw that I pulled out food for her. We could have been asked our intentions, which were initially to order food for me, and have her eat her home-prepared snack due to allergies. Instead, we left.

All in all, good value for the service (we paid $89 plus tax).

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the recently renovated rooms.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is located a bit outside the city center. Outside the rush hours, the highway is a fast way to get to town (about 15-20 min drive). Also, there is a subway terminal in the area, although I am not sure exactly how close it is to the hotel. We stayed in the non-renovated rooms and we found them to be a little small, outdated (expected), but overall OK and certainly very good value for money. For a nominal surcharge you could get a renovated room with flat screen TV and marble top. Still, the non-renovated ones were comfortable, although it was obvious that the time has come for them to be renovated as well (and I am not tlaking about the carpet only). Parking and breakfast was included in the price, both of which were big pluses. The breakfast was really impressive for this type of hotel. It had everything: from cereal, fruits and chocolate milk for the kids to various types of pastries, fruits, antipasti, omelette bar and Starbucks coffee for the adults. All personnel was excellent. The hotel has an external swimming pool, which operates in the spring/summer. The hotel is also located very close (1.5 mi) to the Science Center with many activities for kids.

Room Tip: If you do not mind the surcharge, ask for the renovated room.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked this weekend to relax and relaxed I was in this beautiful cozy renovated hotel, first when I got in I told the clerk that I was in Toronto to rest and that I would be in my room a lot so he right away upgraded me without question. I was in a cozy renovated room on the 3rd floor it was modern and continued the color theme of the whole hotel the colors are spas like aqua grays browns and whites even the staff all wore the Aqua tops or ties, I spend the day enjoying the hotel went swimming at a beautiful indoor pool they just don't make them like this anymore. The hot tub jets were not working well but thats ok. After the swim I went for an amazing lunch at the restaurant in the lobby the food was out of this world so tasty and not bad prices. The air in the hotel is fresh and clean everything was perfect, I will be back thats for sure.

Room Tip: Make sure u are in a renovated room. And try the food at the restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Parry Sound, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a very quiet hotel in a very good location. Easy access for the Don Valley Parkway both North and South. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Though this is not a new hotel. There was an issue with one elevator so we made sure to avoid it, there is a ceiling tile missing from the 5th floor, which looks horrible. The pool is very nice and warm, but the hot tub was not working.
We did ask for joint rooms when booking the hotel but where told at check in they were not available. The first room we were given was too far from the other room so we asked to change, this was done quickly and someone called after it was done to make sure everything was alright. This hotel is not the Ritz but you have to expect to get what you pay for.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in the winter and don't need a balcony go to the fifth floor. It is quiet...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I never write hotel reviews but this was the absolute worst experience I've ever had staying at a hotel.

Upon check in, we were greeted to a friendly receptionist. The lobby was exactly shown on the Expedia site. The room which was on the 4th floor was NOT what I imagined. It was a non-smoking room but it REEKED of cigarettes and there was noticeable dirt stains on the floor. I was disappointed but would have remained in the room had it not been for the 'kinder surprises' I found in the toilet. Clearly, the room was not given a thorough cleaning. I immediately requested a new room. Rishi, the onsite supervisor, was very sympathetic and immediately provided me with a room upgrade on the 6th executive floor. The room was definitely an upgrade. However, the people next door were very loud and appeared to be arguing. We heard things being thrown around, and thuds against the walls. The loud group continued their arguing in the hallway where they smoked and threw garbage everywhere. We were frightened to ask them to quiet down -- so, we called the front desk downstairs. Front desk went up to inspect immediately and even came to our door to apologize. But the loud fighting continued throughout the night. It was a sleep-less night.

I was very disappointed by our stay. The only saving grace was Rishi and the other receptionist. But the quality of the hotel was definitely shoddy and the cleanliness is left to be desired.

Bottom line: stay somewhere else!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!