“A very convinent, comfortable place to stay in Toronto” 5 of 5 stars
Review of McGill Inn B&B

You added McGill Inn B&B to your Saves list
McGill Inn B&B
110 McGill St., Toronto, Ontario M5B1H6, Canada (Formerly House on McGill) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #15 of 122 Toronto B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“A very convinent, comfortable place to stay in Toronto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the House on McGill during my week in Toronto. I found everything about the house to be a perfect fit for me. I would not hesitate to stay there again and have recommended it to colleagues looking for a nice place in the downtown area. The location is great, easy to get to and close to public transportation (bus, streetcar and subway). The house itself has many unique traits and a nice warm feeling. It's an easy walk to restaurants and shopping.

It was great to have breakfast (continental; cereals, fruit, pastries, juice, coffee, etc.) put out every morning. Everything in the house (my room, bathrooms and common areas) were always clean and well cared for. Several of the days I was there I stayed in and used the internet to work. The owner was always helpful and a gracious host. I could see how much work he does to make sure his guests are comfortable.

To address some comments in other reviews;
> The breakfast is continental. If your B&B expectations require that you have a home cooked, sit down meal served to you, you can probably find it elsewhere.

> There is a charge if you stain or damage towels or linens. The house has good quality towels. Don’t spill wine in your room, use your bath towel to clean up the mess and expect not to pay for the towel. The fact that the owner had to put this policy in place means that more than a few guests leave towels/linens damaged in a way that they are no longer acceptable quality to use for other guests.

> Depending on the time of your arrival the host may not be able to greet you in person. Excellent instructions are provided so when you arrive you can get into the house and make yourself at home. House on McGill is a place you can treat like it’s your own. You don’t have a host hovering over you. Again, if that is the B&B experience you want/expect you can probably find it elsewhere.

> The house is clean. It’s a different owner than previously. I don’t know when the ownership changed but keep that in mind when reading reviews.

> Some of the reviewer pictures show a cat in the house. I was there a full week and never saw a cat or any evidence of one. I think those pictures might be from the previous owner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is a beautiful century home with a very cozy, homie feeling. Stayed in the "white room" - a very comfortable space with modern private bathroom. There was a wonderful breakfast laid out each morning including a selections of fresh fruit, pastries, muffins, breads and cereals of all sorts and countless condiments to choose from. The owner made you feel very welcome, but also made you feel as if this was your home for the duration of your stay. It is in a great location, about 5 minute walk from the Eaton Centre. I would stay here again and recommend anyone else to stay here as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Although I had rented this for my daughter-in-law- and I, she ended up using it with her husband and daughter. The owner was very helpful making adjustments and they all enjoyed the stay very much, especially the White Room with the private bath. The location is great, close to all downtown Toronto with lots of little eating places around. The B&B is friendly and comfortable, and they liked the help yourself at any time breakfast. We'd all use it again for future trips to Toronto.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was between homes as I sold my home and needed a place for a week.
Pluses: Location is perfect as it is close to major attractions in downtown Toronto, albeit a good seven minutes walk from the closest subway station but I love to walk in the city so did not mind. Perfectly situated in the heart of the gay village hence there is no need for a cab after a night out - loved it.

The house however while affordable on rates could use some work like some new carpets in the yellow room as well as a paint job to brighten it up. However it is very afffordable as I spent under $600 for a week in Toronto and the complimentary breakfast inthe mornings with juices and fruit available all day are definitely appreciated.

I got a note from the owners saying if there towels were stained I would be charged extra, really? There were no stains but regular use of towels, not impressed at all...
Also, the yellow room never gets dark so if you need to sleep and are bothered by light it could pose some issues. I spent the first night in the blue room and it was more expensive and of better quality, should have stayed there for the week.
The renovated bathroom is in the basement and it is a hike from your bedroom if you are on the second floor. Not sure why the bathroom on the second floor .

Amenties: Free wi-fi and a great continental breakfast is prepared daily.
Would I stay there again? Probably if I was in a bind but not really my thing....

Room Tip: Choose the blue room as it is cleaner than the white room, however the renovated bathroom is in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was in town for the weekend for a workshop at the university. My two-night stay at McGill B&B proved to be peaceful and enjoyable. My room was quiet with easy access to bathroom facilities, both very clean and welcoming. Free Wi-Fi and in-room TV. The kitchen was charming with a selection of fruit, muffins, cereals, juices, yogurts, etc. The university and transit (parking near by) were within walking distance as well as many restaurants and stores. The rates vary by room, but are appropriate and very affordable. I will definitely contact McGill B&B the next time in town.
Thank you again for an enjoyable say.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at McGill during a conference trip to Toronto. The price for a single ($60) was way below any local hotels or other B&B's. The room was clean, pleasant, and in addition to a bed and a desk, featured a small closet, a window, free Internet, towels, and an alarm clock. It was very cozy, as was the whole inn - with lots of memorabilia and just a "homey" kind of feeling. My room was right next to one of the bathrooms (which was really nice a clean!), but I was never disturbed by people going to the bathroom. It was very quiet overall. I only got to meet to a few other residents while I was there - a family visiting from Canada, but we had a nice talk over breakfast, and I even got to practice my French. :-) The breakfast was self-serve, with cereal, different kinds of milk, fruit, pastries, breads, jams. butters - lots of local stuff. Oh, and teas/coffees/etc. Really nice if you're trying to save up on eating out (plus I think you can leave some of your own in the fridge). The place is located downtown so I mostly just walked to the conference hotel, downtown. Overall, I'm really glad I stayed at McGill and will recommend it to my friends. I think it's important to support good local businesses, so I hope my review will encourage some of you to stay here too :) Oh, and PS: Ergin, the person in charge, is super nice and helpful, both in person and via email!

Room Tip: Rose was the cheapest and it's perfect for a single traveler. I did peek into a couple of other...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

McGill Bed And Breakfast is super-inviting.

It's located in a really nice neighborhood, everything nearby. It's a sizable place, the rooms giving you space and privacy. It's up to date, with a public PC/wifi and flatscreens, and it has a 17 year history. it has great lighting, decor, and atmosphere. Booking was easy, I just sent an e-mail and I was in my accommodations later that same day. The kitchens and bathrooms were clean, clean, clean! I fully intend to stay again.

I love McGill B&B, and I totally recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to McGill Inn B&B? Share your experiences!