“Clean, affordable, friendly and great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alexandra Hotel

You added Alexandra Hotel to your Saves list
Alexandra Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   77 Ryerson Avenue | at Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2V4, Canada   |
Ranked #97 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Clean, affordable, friendly and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was my mine and my dad's first trip to Toronto (my dad's first trip out of Europe) and we were very pleased with our room. The view was awesome, we could see the CN Tower from our window which was great for me as I did the Edgewalk - I could even see the hotel from the tower lol. The kitchen was basic but good and saved us a lot of money on breakfasts. Beds were comfy and shower was great. Wardrobes were nice and roomy too.

We had a slight problem with the fridge in that it kept making a lot of noise and shuddering but we found that by turning down the temp overnight it kept quiet. Also the air con was loud and didn't seem to do much to cool the room down but we think the heat may have just been too much for it. We left our window open and this worked well, the cover over the window to stop bugs getting in was great.

The person on reception when we arrived was very cheerful and chatty and we felt very welcome. Again when leaving although he was quieter he was also pleasant and let us leave our bags for a couple of hours after checking out.

The location is excellent, 20 mins walk to St Patrick station through Chinatown which we did everyday. Chinatown itself is a great place, everybody is nice and there are some really good souvenir shops and restaurants. It felt very safe the whole time we were there, even after coming back from a concert late one night - we had no worries.

Overall a great place to stay and if I returned to Toronto I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 609 has a great view of the CN Tower
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for posting such a nice review. I am very glad you both enjoyed your first trip to the city. There's lots to see and do here! I hope you stay with us again, and if you ever have any maintenance issues in one of our rooms, don't hesitate to contact the Front Desk for assistance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Yellowknife NWT Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Two of us stayed here for 3 nights in June. Not fancy....it's a former student residence for the University of Toronto....but functional. Even has a tiny kitchenette. Interesting neighbourhood...on the borders of Kensington Market, China Town and Little Italy....offers a bit of everything. Close to the streetcars and within walking distance of many of Toronto's most interesting sites. Friendly staff too. A good budget pick.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thanks for posting your review. I'm glad your stay was satisfactory! The Alexandra Hotel was never a student residence, but it is a somewhat unusual downtown hotel because we're able to accommodate long-term stays thanks to the kitchenettes and laundry facilities.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

If you're looking for a clean, quiet room in a decent hotel in downtown Toronto, within easy walking distance of frequent public transit, with a functioning kitchen, all at a cheap price, this is the place to stay. I spent three nights there this month, having driven up to Toronto (the hotel has ample parking and was easy to get to from the Gardiner Expressway) for a long weekend, and will be staying there again for almost a week this July. As a practically-minded traveler, not looking for or needing fancy trimmings, just wanting everything to be functional, the Alexandra was perfect.

This is not a flashy, fancy, lots of frills kind of place, but for its price you shouldn't be expecting that. The rooms are basic, but they're practical and clean, and everything in my room worked. There was plenty of desk space; the internet access worked flawlessly (I used both wired and wireless); the kitchenette had a small fridge (slightly larger than a normal hotel bar-fridge) with a freezer space, a two-burner stove, a microwave, and a random assortment of cutlery, plates, bowls, glasses, and an old-fashioned tea kettle; the building was very quiet despite the hotel being mostly full during my stay; the bed was comfortable; and the air conditioning worked.

The hotel is between Dundas St. and Queen St., both of which have a streetcar line that as far as I know runs 24-hours a day. To get to Dundas St. you walk between a park and a school; that was usually the direction I went and the park was always busy with people getting exercise or just playing on the grass, and there was occasionally a softball game going on. I made frequent use of the streetcar line, which runs every 10 minutes or so, and have no complaints for it.

There's a Loblaws supermarket maybe 5 minutes away on foot on Queen St, just next to the intersection with Ryerson Ave (the street the hotel is on), so stocking the kitchenette couldn't be easier.

The house staff were courteous and pleasant to deal with. I can't speak to their ability to provide assistance for directions, recommendations, and such, because I didn't ask for any.

This hotel gets 5 stars because there was nothing about my room, the hotel, or the staff, that I had an issue with. If you want a clean, quiet space to sleep, with the advantage of a kitchenette, and you don't need the modern trimmings expected in a name-brand hotel, you can't go wrong with the Alexandra.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Wow, what a detailed review! Thanks so much for the positive feedback, and I hope you stay with us again.
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Was very happy with our stay. Room wasn't fancy but clean , bed was comfortable , staff very friendly . We where going to a jays game and it was a easy walk back to the hotel after the game was a decent neighbor hood . For the ease of being walking distance to the Rogers center and Easton's center for shopping . It was very reasonably priced . Will totally stay here again when going to a jays game . Also went to wonderful restaurant a couple blocks away on spadina called etcetera . It was awesome best breakfast ever . French toast was fresh moist . Totally worth The walk.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review. We're lucky to be right downtown, but in a quiet neighborhood. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the local restaurants!
Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

My husand and i went to see a Blue Jays game on May 17 and spent 2 nights at this hotel. Loved the location, quiet neighbourhood, great friendly service and the room was very clean, i have no complaints at all. We walked to the Eaton Centre which was about a 25 minutes. If you like Krispy Kreme donoughts, there is a shop about 4 minutes drive from there. I would hightly recommend this hotel, the price is reasonable and the parking is only 5.00 instead of 20-25.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review! I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel ... and the donuts!
Laguna Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

During a recent convention -when every room in Toronto was sold or was $350 a night - I was sent to the Alexandra by an acquaintance who always stays there.
It seemed to be unusual - up a quiet suburban street in an old area of Toronto - nearby Queen Street had many eclectic business, including great restaurants and a couple of bong shops (yes, I was astonished). But the location was alarming and the exterior appearance was off-putting (old brick and it didn't look like a hotel).
The Alexandra used to be a self-help retirement facility - small rooms with cooking facilities. It looks old and run down, but it's actually comfortable and very clean, and I'd stay again. No restaurant there so a walk to Queen Street to many eating places is the daily program, or buy food and take it back - the rooms all have a microwave, cook top, small refrigerator.
The central heat is a ceiling thermal system that was overwhelmed on a really cold night - so it's not the Ritz - but it is a ten dollar cab ride to the downtown business district.
There is no pool or amenities of any kind. But it is in the $80 range (except during peak periods when they want $100 plus tax). Toronto is an expensive city and this is about the cheapest accommodation in town - but I would stay again - it's a bed, it's clean, and it worked for me. They also have wi-fi and that was a help. And local phone calls are only 35c apiece - however the wi-fi was chronically slow at times and they have the nerve to charge for parking - $5 a day. Their website says it is downtown - which it is not - but it is a $10 cab ride so it's not too far out. It worked for me. I've rated the rooms as poor - because they aren't average - but they are clean and livable.
The website ( http://www.alexandrahotel.com ) has photos which make it look better than it is - but it's ok - just ok.

Room Tip: Rooms are all the same. They all have a Queen bed and a single bed so two or three people can share...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review. I'd like to make a few clarifications. The Alexandra was never a "self-help retirement facility" - it was just an apartment building before it was converted to a hotel. Also, we are indeed downtown. The Alexandra Hotel is east of Bathurst Street, which is the western edge of the downtown district.
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have been to Toronto twice before and stayed virtually within spitting distance of Dundas Square.

For my stay in February 2012, I chose this hotel, because rooms were advertised to have a small pantry. The hotel is located a few stops by streetcar from Dundas Square/Eaton Centre. There are basically three streetcar lines (on Dundas, on Queen and on Bathhurst) and you can walk to Spadina Ave. I did not feel unsafe, even when I returned a bit later at night.
Also, the hotel is still located within walking distance of all major downtown attractions if you take the time to stroll down the streets. (Something I like to do anyway as you see the city you're visiting differently anyway, if you walk around a lot.)

The room is resonably sized, although I have to say, that the pictures I saw on the hotel website give a larger impression that my room was in reality. The pantry was actually directly beside the bed - you could reach into the fridge lying in the bed. (Which I guess for some can be an advantage...)
My room was clean, but it could use some renovation and that made room and bathroom appear a bit unclean. Furniture and cupboards have seen their best days a few years back.

Front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. Upon check-in you'll get a key to the front door downstairs as well as your room key. Parking is charged extra. I arrived early and it was no problem checking in at that time.

Still, the hotel offers a good value for money. Just in my case I could have booked a special offer in the downtown centre at an almost similar rate. Otherwise, it's a good place for anyone staying in Toronto. I would not do any more cooking than maybe making toast and tea for breaktfast. But doing this and maybe ordering take-out, will reduce your overall budget.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor facing Lake Ontario will give you a great view on the skyline and the CN Tow...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write us such a detailed review. I always appreciate feedback on the condition of the rooms - I will definitely pass it along to the manager. We aim to be low-cost but we can always make improvements to our facilities. I hope you consider staying with us again, and thanks again for your honest post!

Been to Alexandra Hotel? Share your experiences!