“FILTHY!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Global Village Backpackers

You added Global Village Backpackers to your Saves list
Global Village Backpackers
460 King St West | (near Bay Street), Toronto, Ontario M5V 1L7, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #47 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Kelowna, Canada
“FILTHY!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hostel is filthy, being a manager of a hostel in Australia and travelling through hostels throughout Australia, New Zealand, Bali and Canada, this is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed in! There were mice all through the kitchen and bed rooms, when you couldn't see the mice you could hear them scurrying through the walls as you try to sleep, the bathrooms were blocked the entire stay I was there and the staff would not fix it even after being asked too, the desk staff are more interested in listening to their ipods then helping their guests, all in all do yourself a favour and dont stay in this dump!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
YouthHostel, Owner at Global Village Backpackers, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for the comments about your stay with at at GVB. I am sorry we did not manage to meet your expectations. I would like to point out however that the two blocked toilets were an issue for those two days--only after repeated attempts by staff to clear them out. We called in the plumber who discovered that someone had intentionally put brown paper rolls down the pipes.

The hostel is cleaned professionally each and every day and during this slow month the cleaning staff are actually doing their rounds of deep cleaning, while we undertake repairs for the spring.

This is an old building but we put every effort into trying to keep it clean. Thanks again for your comments

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Guelph, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hostel was awful! We stayed there with a big group for two nights. The staff was friendly but they didn't tell anything about the rules that they had there or warn us about the mice and bed bug problem that they have! SO WE SAW A MOUSE AND HEARD MANY!! THERE WAS ALSO BED BUGS (saw those too, bloody marks on our sheets etc)! Bed Bugs will travel home with you so it is not worth of staying there! Cheap and the bar staff was nice but it is dangerous for your health!!! They also threw all of our unopened soft drinks to trash without asking. Just horrible...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. I wish that you had enjoyed your stay with us, however I would like to address your comments. Like many large city hostels, our property has an ongoing pest management program in place each week with an outside professional company. The minute we find out any pest issues we shut down rooms and put them out of order until they are professional detailed--no exceptions. This is an issue we take quite seriously.

Again thank you for your feedback
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I kind of hate rating this down to average, but honesty requires it. I had a wonderful three night stay. The Irish girl checking us in was exceptionally friendly and helpful, giving a warm reception.
It is cheap, which drew me, and when I pay cheap I cannot ask for modern new facilities. The place is definitely on the old side and so its not perfect,but my bed slept well, clean sheets and towels were provided and hot showers with actual changing room behind the shower stall door, which is a luxury! Free breakfast is definitely a plus,free,fast WiFi, free computer use, and right downtown! The bar is unique and cool, and is open till 2:00 A.M., so you may wish to consider that if you cannot sleep through noise.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

It's cheap and that usually means that you are not going to get, nor should you expect a 4 star hotel. We paid for a double bed, private room which was a bit pricey considering but we were travelling peak season and everywhere was chocka full and at 11pm, roaming for cheaper accommodations was just not going to happen.

It's a little seedy, and some of the walls and banisters are a little uneven, showing it's age but I actually kind of liked it and found it charming. They had an outdoors bar, which was also open to the public. The drinks were cheap,the bartender was a bit of a rascal, and it had a kind of backdoor neighborhood BBQ feel to it.

Internet is free with 3 computers for use. We had a nice pancake breakfast with gallons of maple syrup. Breakfast is a somewhat haphazard affair, but it was yum. Overall, the staff were friendly and helpful.

If you stay relaxed, and be a little patient, then you will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Dont judge a book by its cover on this one!

I arrived in August on a working holiday visa, and ended up staying until early December! If your arriving on a working holiday visa, I defiantly recommend staying here when you first arrive. The staff are amazing and I alongside the majority of other 'long termers' have aswell. They make you feel extremely welcome and don't hesitate to help you out. The bar is where I met my friends here, cheap drinks, brilliant atmosphere and the tunes are always good.

You'll laugh, You'll cry, It will change your life!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed here in November for a week, I was hesitant at first to book after reading all the awful reviews but it was by far the cheapest hostel in town and money was a big factor for me. I found a special on line for $25 a bed but then was offered the weekly rate when I arrived. Only $165 dollars!
(Also, the fact that there was a bar really sucked me in as I've met some of my closest friends socialising in backpackers bars all over the world).

I don't usually write reviews but this hostel seems to be getting a unfairly bad rep. Yes it's an old building and there was a couple toilets out of order during my stay but I always found a working facility to use and never had to wait.
The staff were all super nice, they let you know about nightly events. I joined in on Trivia night and sang karaoke. (badly)

I did see housekeeping around everyday in the bathrooms and hoovering my room (this wakes you up at about 11 if you`re a late sleeper) but if you`re a bit obsessive about cleanliness this may not be the place for you as you can tell it`s seen better days.
If you like people, having a good time and old school hostels then stay here, You`ll have a blast!

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the first floor if you can, there is no elevator!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've stayed in around 40 hostels in my lifetime, and this was by far THE WORST ONE EVER. I really hope people will see this review and avoid booking into this hostel, I really cant'e stress enough how awful it was. Won't have enough space to write how BAD it was, but here are some examples (which you will see repeated in other reviews im sure)

-Dirty, dirty and dirty. Everything has a grubby, unwashed look to it. From the lobby, right up to your room.

-One shower and one toilet for each gender, for one entire floor of rooms.

-Lock broken in female toilet.

-Men using female toilets at night (seriously).

-Gap in the door of toilet so people can actually see in when someone is using it.

-Filthy sinks and floors, overflowing bins.

-Shower barely working, just a dribble of water that went between piping hot and freezing cold.

-MICE in our room. MICE.

When we went down to complain about the rodents in our room, the guy on night shift didn't care whatsoever, and barely gave us a response, telling us the assistant manager would ring us when she got in at 11pm. 12am arrived with no call so we decided to go back down, he said she wouldn't be in till the next day. The next morning we told her the story and she got defensive. my boyfriend said he even saw a rat trap under the bed, and her response was "They're not rats, they're mice".

Getting our refund was another experience, with each lazy member of staff passing the buck to the next person, took us 3 days to get it back, and only because we kept calling in and demanding it.
They never apologised ONCE, or called us back anytime they said they would.

I would be utterly embarrassed if I worked in this disgusting and disgraceful waste of a business.
It really should be condemned. It truly is a health hazard. Please avoid like the plague. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS.

Room Tip: Don't choose this horrible hostel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
YouthHostel, Owner at Global Village Backpackers, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the hostel--I am very sorry you did not have a good experience. In response I will say that the hostel is cleaned daily--every single day by professional cleaners including all washrooms and sleeping areas. Also--there is more than one shower and one toilet per floor. If you had advised staff of men using womens toilets at night, we would have asked that guest to leave.

In terms of your refund, it took 3 days to get funds to you simply because we have s system in place that requires management approval for any refunds and the manager was not in the office at the time of your departure. You were refunded in full as you requested.

We are undergoing renovations this winter to updrade toilets, showers and sleeping areas.

Thanks again for your comments

Been to Global Village Backpackers? Share your experiences!