“Brutal!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Kirkland Lake, Ontario, Canada
“Brutal!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

At first our point of view of the Radisson was pleasant. We walked into the lobby and the female desk clerk was nice enough to upgrade our room from a queen bed to a king bed free of charge. I welcomed this, but had one request: the room not face the highway (I had read reviews previously that said those rooms can get a lot of noise from passing vehicles.). We got to the room only to realize that, in fact, our room was on the side of this highway. I called down to the front desk and explained that we requested a room away from the highway (to which the clerk acknowledged and agreed to do) and we did not receive such a room. They were agreeable to switch us rooms, but only after 20 minutes of waiting for someone to come give us a new room key, we called down again to find out that we needed to go to the lobby. I sent my boyfriend down to pick up the new keys; no problem. We get to the new room, set our bags down and decided to head out for food.
We we're not even out the door yet and the entire building's power went out. By this time it was about 9pm and dark outside so we were left in a very dark hotel hallway, of which no back up lighting or alarms or any kind came on. Little scary when you're from a small town and in a huge city. We made our way in the dark to the stairs as elevators weren't working.
We requested to check out of the hotel after speaking with the 3rd party booking agent we went through, but they REFUSED to give me my $100 deposit back. The generators eventually kicked on and they were perfectly able to check us out of their computer system, but for whatever reason they refused to give me a refund and were quite rude and very unprofessional about it. On top of it all, we forgot a bag in the room post check out so we returned to the hotel. We had asked that hotel staff go to the room but they refused. So we asked for a flashlight to see where we were going, but they denied us access to any type of lighting device. We had to walk in the dark hallway up to the 6th floor of the building.
Way to take care of your customers, Radisson!

I WILL NEVER STAY AT A RADISSON HOTEL EVER AGAIN!!!!

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonToronto, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that this caused you. The power failure was caused by a problem with a municipal power company transformer, and not by a hotel electrical problem. The emergency generator starts within 20 seconds of the power outage. It is always difficult to deliver the usual standard of service during an emergency. We learnt some new lessons on that day, and we are presently re-training our team to better deal with these situations.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the very near future.
Rawi Zayadi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Everything looks warn and slightly dirty (hallways, elevators (look at the floor corners), walls, carpeting etc). The furniture in the room was also warn, with scuffs, scrapes etc. Both beds were absolutely horrible. The ironing board surface was filthy. The mattresses, if you can even call them that, felt like pieces of foam stuck inside a liner. No padding and I could feel the solid frame below. The bed frames, or whatever these so called mattresses were on, were wobbly and noisy. It felt like sleeping on a bunch of orange crates. The fridge didn't work. I couldn't get the 'air conditioner' to cool the room down so it was hot and muggy. The absolute worst was the bathroom. I walked in with flip flops (always, never bare foot!) and they were sticking to the floor! I lifted the toilet seat and it had the last visitors 'business' and wasn't flushed (took a pic of that - a first in over thirty years of travel). All around absolutely disgusting. If it hadn't been so late and having an 5 a.m. start I would have gone back down and slept in the car. You literally couldn't pay me to go back to this place. I travel a lot, all over the world, and this was truly one of the absolute worst hotels I have ever been in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi;
Thank you for your comments.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that we caused you. This is certainly not the standard of cleanliness or service that we espouse. The hotel will be undergoing a major renovation through the late summer. Our team will also be undergoing an intensive training program during the next few months to insure that our guests' standards are met or exceeded.
I hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you in the very near future.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The free Wi-Fi connection is very, very slow and randomly expires browsing sessions. Sometimes it takes very long to try to connect (or reconnect) to the web server.

Throughout our 3-day stay, no matter how careful my sister or I tried to close the shower curtain at both ends, the shower always leaked and we were left with a big pudle on the bathroom floor after our shower. We traveled with a couple friends and they had that problem too when they took a shower.

Other than that, the room is spacious, the bathroom is well lit and bright, the beds are clean, and there are 2 complimentary bottles of water.

I like it that my room is looking at the highway because it has privacy. Surveying the traffic on the highway is entertaining too.

The front desk is polite and professional, but a smile would have made us feel more welcomed. Too bad, we did not get that when we checked in or checked out or when we come back to the hotel after our outings! :-(

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi;
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that we caused you. I will share your comments with our guest services team. A smile and a friendly greeting is very important as it is shows that we care - which we do.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

i have stayed there for 3 nights ,the front desk did not smile or greet during my stay at all ,maybe it was a very busy weekend ,the rooms were clean and they have been replacing shampoos and soaps ,but the airconditioner was too loud made me wake up many times at night overall was ok!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hi;
Thank you for your comments.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that this caused you. Warmth and friendliness are key parts of our hospitality. Please be assured that we will work hard to improve our performance.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights and only persevered at the property due to location and a schedule too busy to switch hotels. I also received an "upgraded" room (for signing up for a Carlson Card I likely won't ever use again) that was hot, dirty, a broken shower bar that caused water to leak all over the floor, and a sleep number bed that was apparently set to "rock hard" and did not work. I reported the non-functioning bed to the staff three times - twice in writing - to no avail. I agree with other comments on here that I had to ask for toilet paper and kleenex to be replenished, and the thermostat despite being set at 15dC couldn't get the room below 25dC. All surfaces in the room (room 622) were worn and scuffed, and a stir stick on the floor in front of the fridge when I arrived, was still there the day I left - they weren't doing much cleaning if they missed that (or they don't care). Another commenter noted this was like staying at a high school locker room - I've stayed in hostels that were cleaner and functioned better. What's worse is that despite reporting issues, they don't repair them. They carefully placed the obviously non-functioning sleep number bed remote on the bed every morning...even when I placed a "this is not working" note right on it. You might think you are saving money by staying here - but you will be upsetting your employees and out-of-town guests and putting them through a very poor experience. I have also replied to a Radisson survey about my stay and am writing a letter to Javier Rosenberg, their COO. I notice someone from this property is taking the time to reply to many comments here; it would be nice if one of the front desk staff responded to my concerns while I was there (and handed them the issues I was having in hand-written notes so that they would remember). When I checked out, one of the gentlemen at the front desk took my room keys without uttering a word - if they don't care to take action or ask if you had a good stay - do they care at all? (hint: they do not)

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel. Room 622 was broken, dated, and unrepaired.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RadissonToronto, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you expected from us on your recent trip. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. We have shared your comments on the state of your room with our housekeeping team who will do a better job of quality checking each room before and after it gets occupied . Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again so we can show you the level of service you deserve.

I have also sent you a separate email to discuss this. Kindly respond at your convenience.

Western Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have stayed here in the past but my last stay is my last stay. I remember when it was built in the early 70's and was a premium hotel. I got a great deal on a website and when I arrived I understood why. The carpet was shot, the sheets were ripped and the bathroom was worn from years of use. Sorry. Can not recommend to stay here.

Room Tip: There are no good choices. Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We sincerely regret your recent experience while staying with us. We have recently renovated our fitness center and swimming pool and are in process to complete the rest of the hotel in a phased manner. During this period of transition, we regret any inconvenience caused and assure you of our best services and efforts at all times.

We do hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to the area.

Thank you again.

Dubuque, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This has got to be the worst hotel experience in quite some time for me. I travel a lot and have stayed in nicer MOTELS in other foreign countries where certain vaccinations are required. I expected more from the Radisson brand of hotels but was highly disappointed at the lack of consistency in the overall quality of the rooms and cleanliness of the property (guestrooms, lobby, conference rooms, hallways, breakfast buffet - pretty much all the places I visited at this Radisson), how old and dated the property felt, the smell of fresh smoke in the hallways that wafted into my guest room in spite of claiming to be a nonsmoking facility and the noise from the major highway that could be seen from my room.

If I hadn't had to move once within the first few hours of checking in due to a problem with the "upgraded" room's shower/tub leaking all over the bathroom floor and onto the carpet at the entry way of the bathroom, as well as the fact I was staying at this hotel for business at the discretion of a travel agent with colleagues who hadn't arrived yet due to flight delays and since it was near midnight at that point, I would have moved to another hotel. Plus, I was hopeful that the room change would have afforded me with a less dirty environment.

Instead, I left what looked like dried up vomit in the area near my room, a toilet that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months to a different room that smelled even worse of smoke, a moldy refrigerator and even more outdated than the original "upgraded" room. Additionally, it appears the housekeeping staff won't supply new toilet paper even though they acknowledged the empty roll by removing the cardboard but did not replace it and reused towels that had been put on the floor in order to get a new clean set. The reason I noticed this at all is because I have really long dark hair that I do try to pick up off the floor and put in the trash, but the "new" bath mat had my hair (or maybe somebody else's - an even worse thought) all throughout it.

As it turns out, the business we were visiting referred to this hotel as a "high school locker room" and we hadn't even mentioned that we were staying there. Wish they would have warned us ahead of time.

While the hotel staff were very friendly, it is still difficult to get past the other problems enountered during my less than 48-hour stay. I would never stay at this Radisson again and will be less inclined to stay at any Radisson ever again due to this unsatisfactory visit.

Almost missed mentioning that the free high speed Internet connection is incredibly slow and randomly expires browsing sessions whenever it feels like it. Trying to open a new session may not even be an option due to the inability to connect to web server.

However, one helpful takeaway from this experience was getting to test a Sleep Number bed; I learned not to waste my money on such an expensive "air mattress" since it was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have tried to sleep on - only got about 2 hours during entire stay.

Room Tip: Tips: pick a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RadissonToronto, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you expected from us on your recent trip. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. We have shared your comments on the state of your room with our housekeeping team who will do a better job of quality checking each room before it gets occupied and we will use your input on our internet service to fine tune the same. We have recently upgraded the same to a much faster fibre optic network to enhance our guest experience but its clear that we need to overcome the teething issues first.Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again so we can show you the level of service you deserve.

P.S: I have also sent you a separate email about the same and look forward to hearing back from you on the same so that we can find a solution .

Thank you again.

Benni Devasia

Been to Radisson Hotel Toronto East? Share your experiences!