“Would Stay Again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/City Centre

You added Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/City Centre to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/City Centre
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Dundas Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4R6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Bed N' Breakfast
Ranked #43 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Island, NY
“Would Stay Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

The hubby and I were in Toronto for our one year anniversary. We had driven up from New York and actually drove past it first time around. If you're driving, the hotel actually fronts onto Jarvis St. When I first walked into the hotel, I thought I was in a boutique hotel, not a major chain. The lobby was chic and modern.
After checking in we went up to our room, and as we walked in there was the stench of smoke. Both of us are non-smokers, so we called down to the desk and were immediately assigned a new room, four doors down.
The room was very nice; modern, clean, and fresh. The room was also quite large for a hotel room, with a king size bed, tv chest, desk and couch. There was room to move, which is nice, it made it feel more like a guest room than a hotel. The bathroom was not as big, but it was clean and had an awesome shower.
We stayed 3 nights, and really enjoyed our stay.
There is a streetcar stop right on the corner, you can take it up to Dundas Square, the Eaton Center, and Dundas Subway
Word to the wise: The breakfast offered at the hotel is pretty expensive, $12.99 for a buffet, $15.99 for an omlet. You're better off walking up Dundas (toward the Eaton Center), turning left on Yonge, and walking about three or four blocks to Sunset Grill. (A great find through a travel book)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

This is a potentially lovely hotel, well located and nicely furbished. The staff at the front desk were over-zealous to the point of being creepy, but this may have been a cultural difference, as I'm a conservative European.

I stayed for 3 weeks on business, and although the room was clean when I moved in, the standards soon deteriorated.

Housekeeping apparently visited the room daily, but within a week I was staying in a room with no toilet paper and dirty bedsheets (although I'd specifically requested them to be replaced).

The room had no kettle but had a microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator. The fresh coffee was a nice touch, but frankly quite useless without milk, which was never provided. The microwave and coffee maker were NEVER cleaned, so I had to clean these myself. The refrigerator was old and broken, my juice fell out of the broken door. The ice bucket wasn't cleaned by the housekeepers, and I found melted ice still in it, day after day.

Overall - a potentially nice hotel, but they have a serious need for some new housekeepers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Windsor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

This was the worst experience we have ever experienced. We reserved a room with 2 double beds for 2 nights. One for my husband and I and one for our 2 young daughters, 4 and 7. When we got to our room there was only 1 king bed. We went back to the front desk and were told that there were no rooms with 2 queens left. All they had left was an upgrade to a suite with a king and a pull out couch at no extra cost, so we took it. Only, after we unpacked and got the kids to bed did we realize that the toilet did not flush. They sent a service man up to the room but all he did was confirm that the toilet was broken and recommended we move to another room. Are you kidding me?? My kids are sleeping and all they could say was move to another room! When I called the front desk again all they could do was give us a key to a spare room on the same floor so we could use that bathroom while staying in the same suite. Fortunately they also offered complimentary breakfast for both mornings to make up for the inconvenience. Well once that was taken care of I thought the rest of the stay would be OK until we returned at 8pm after a full day of sight seeing and shopping in Toronto to find our rooms had not even been cleaned. When I called the front desk they said that housekeeping had already left for the day. No appology, no explanation. The staff at the restaurant were the most pleasant part of our stay at this hotel. Other than that I would definitely not recommend!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

This hotel was clean, with supportive front desk. The room was large and clean, including the bathroom. There was some street noise but we were in downtown Toronto so to be expected. Hotel is about 10-15 minute walk from the Eaton Centre, so was in a good location. We did not wander around the streets after dark so have no clue of the night activity in the area (we used taxi for door to door service). I will use this hotel again and will recommend it to others. I would say that this is an above basic hotel accommodation. Check the website for packages deals if looking for cultural interests in Toronto as I did this after I had booked, not before.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn City Centre for only one night, but it was a very pleasent stay. The hotel staff was welcoming and accomdating. The fitness centre and pool area, though small was well equipped. We didnt eat in the Caseys attatched, but it was busy and seemed to be well recieved. The perks that i liked about the hotel was that there was a small sort of pantry that was open 24 hours to guests. This pantry stocked food, like frozen entrees and sandwiches, drinks, snacks as well as travellers necessities. The rooms were clean and very very comfortable. A great stay, just stay to the west side of the hotel....beyond that the neighbourhood changes a little. It is also within walking distance to the Eaton Centre and many other downtown attractions. I would definitly stay there again! Very reasonable and pleasent!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

After having the service deteriorate at the Toronto Hilton, I decided to give the Hilton Garden Inn a try. I was very pleasantly surprised at the service and attention I received at this hotel. Being a Diamond in the Hilton Honors program also brought a free made to order breakfast for every day of the stay.

An additional benefit is the rooms have refrigirators and microwaves. With a Metro Grocery within two blocks, I could control what I ate for dinner and avoid eating every meal at a restaurant.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
London, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights during a business trip to Toronto. Pleased that they allowed an 8:30 am early check in, when my train arrived. Staff very helpful. Apparently was another brand, but completey rennovated in August 2009. Upscale and moder furnishings. Great bed, workspace in the room. FREE INTERNET in room, which is a rarity in downtown Toronto, with many hotels charging $15 per day. Great little fitness centre.

2 blocks from Eaton Centre.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/City Centre? Share your experiences!