I'll freely admit that after reading some of the recent reviews posted here and elsewhere about this hotel, I went in with a lot of trepidation. Adding to this was my disappointment at the change away from the Hilton Doubletree brand, because as a Gold HHonors member, I am very comfortable with the experience that usually comes with the brand. However, as the wedding that my family was attending was using the Grand Chinese restaurant in the hotel's complex for the reception, the International Plaza was the smartest option for us to stay at.
I'm glad I did not let my concerns get in the way of our stay. Right up front, let's be frank; an old hotel built in the 70s or early 80s will always feel old, regardless of how much the owners invest in renovations. The lobby feels open and airy, and work is ongoing on an in-lobby Starbucks. The gift shop is fresh-looking, and the cafe is typical of the breakfast restaurants found in any upscale Hilton, Sheraton, or other big-chain hotel.
Our room, on the fifth floor, was very much like every other room I've ever stayed at in a corporate hotel;not as fancy as a boutique hotel, but certainly worthy of the price point. You can still see some evidence of its former hilton brand, from the labels on the towels to the look of some of the furniture. Cleanliness, a concern of some other reviewers, is on par with the downtown hotels I usually stay at in Toronto. Perhaps I was lucky and got a renovated room, or perhaps the staff are now up to speed on the quality standards that people expect of a hotel like this. This hotel is very busy with conference attendees, but noise levels in the room was not a problem for us. Understand that the hotel is near one of Canada's busiest airports and a major Highway, so don't go in expecting peaceful tranquility! The HVAC system generated the perfect amount of white noise, so my kids went to sleep right away.
We booked with the bed and breakfast rate, and had breakfast in the Orchid Cafe. The buffet was well stocked with the standard fare, and the wait staff always had smiles on their faces regardless of how busy it got.
Our busy schedule with the wedding precluded us from trying out the indoor pool and water slides, but it certainly looked to be well maintained with a lifeguard on duty.
My only real issue is the parking fee ($14/day),given that it is a surface lot and the distance from any other amenities making it almost a necessity to have a car when staying with a family. Having signed up for the iprefer program that the hotel is now part of, it would have been a nice touch if members received free parking as a membership perk.
In conclusion, if I ever find myself needing a hotel near YYZ and my usual brands (ie ones affiliated with HHonors or SPG) are not available, I do not think I will hesitate to stay at the International Plaza again.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Toronto Airport Hotel
- Doubletree By Hilton Toronto Airport Hotel Toronto
- Doubletree Toronto Airport
- Doubletree Toronto
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy spacious accommodations just minutes from Toronto Pearson International Airport at the International Plaza Hotel. Offering seamless stays and full-service amenities, our Toronto airport hotel is perfect for productive business trips and relaxing leisure travel, no matter if you are staying a night, a week, or longer.Each of the rooms and suites at our hotel in Toronto are warm, inviting, and outfitted with contemporary comforts. Property-wide complimentary Wi-Fi access and large in-room work stations make staying connected simple, and plush bedding, in-room dining, and flat-panel HD TVs with cable channels make every night relaxing.The Toronto Pearson hotel features 60,000 square feet of flexible function space, ideal for business meetings, weddings, conventions and other occasions. Complimentary 24-hour shuttle service makes the five-minute drive to the airport easy, and our onsite fitness and business centres provide all the tools necessary for a seamless stay. The hotel showcases an indoor pool with water slides (must be> 48” to ride) and a large hot tub, along with four onsite restaurants – including Ginko Japanese, Grand Chinese, Harry’s Bar, and Orchid Café and Wine Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, Olotels, Asiatravel.com Holdings, getaroom.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your International Plaza Hotel Toronto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.