“Definately recommend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eaton Chelsea

You added Eaton Chelsea to your Saves list
Eaton Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gerrard Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z4, Canada (Formerly Delta Chelsea) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
beverly hills
“Definately recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I recently stayed at the Delta Chelsea hotel .and was very satisfied with my room and the service I received.

The room was spacious and clean and the two restaurants in the hotel offered good choices at a reasonable price.

There is a wonderful pool and healthclub on the top floor of the hotel with a great view of the city

The hotel is very centrally located close to the subway, and shopping and some good restaurants.

I was very impressed with the friendly efficient service I received from all members of staff.

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Polish first
Midlands, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

We just returned from the hotel this Sunday. I had read some bad reviews before I left and was really worried, so I was very pleasantly surprised. Our room was a bit old fashioned but clean and well looked after. There were lots of little extras, like a washing line in the bathroom for swimming costumes, ice for buckets, towels for swimming etc. which we have not had in other places. We found the elevators easy to use and very quick. The children's pool was crowded but fun, and I often had the adult pool to myself for ten minutes. It was never crowded and the adult changing rooms had a spinner which dried costumes, plus shower gel, shampoo, hand lotion, hair gel etc.

We loved the bustle of the hotel, found the staff very friendly and helpful; there was always someone to go to if needed. The food in the Market Garden was great. I looked forward to my meals every day. Our room overlooked Yonge Street, including Zanzibars's an adult club, but it all added to the atmosphere of staying in a big city and the lights at night were spectacular.

We did have a problem with our toilet cistern and condensation soaking our bathroom floor and were disappointed when they forgot to put it right one day but when we got back to them it was sorted in ten minutes.

There was easy access from the hotel to the efficient transport system. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and I would certainly return.

• Liked — Clean, great atmosphere
  • Disliked — Problems with bathroom
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

I decided to take my wife to Toronto for her birthday as she had never been. The flight from Edinburgh was uneventenful and pleasant and the staff on the Air Transat flight very pleasant. The holiday to Canada was going well for the first couple fo days until we decided to have breakfast in the hotel (Delta Chelsea). This was the first time we ate the same meal together and afterwards went shopping. Within 2hrs of finishing breakfast we were both doubled over in pain and had to return to our hotel room. I sufferred major diarrhoea but my wife was projectile vometing and suffering from intense stromach pains. I contacted reception to get a doctor but we were instead subjegated to a visit from hotel security for half an hour first before they would bring anyone medical into the equation. This was while my wife was in bed in complete agony. We were questioned repeatadly and even though they were polite and "friendly" it was pretty obvious this was an exercise in liability avoidance. Being Scottish this was the last thing on our mind as our culture hasn't really hit this low point yet and all I wanted was medical help for my wife.

Well, a "friendly" doctor was called who had to "word" things on his diagnosis sheet in a non liable way (though basically said that what we had was food poisoning from the same source though the only same meal was in the hotel....). We had a wine tasting trip booked the next day which was non refundable and allied to the call out charge we are now $600 out of pocket and this isn't including the lost holiday time. We had no intentions of giving the hotel a hard time but to be left high and dry and very out of pocket due to them is unnacceptable. For the bulk of the trip the people of Toronto were fantastic and the hotel great but when things go wrong............(Delta Chelsea please look at yourself).

Stayed June 2006
Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

I know Delta Chelsea makes a great deal out of the "Family" appeal of its property but I wasn't that impressed.

The good: The rooms were nicely decorated with a modern "crate and Barrell" feel. Beds were very comfortable.

The bad:
Very expensive for what you get.
Family Pool is very very small and packed. Total chaos. Kids (910 & 7) liked the corkscrew slide but pretty standard if your kids have ever gone on a water slide before. They only did it twice.
Our third child (4) was intimidated by all the craziness in the family pool area. They do not have a shallow area where a toddler can stand sit, etc. When they say "kiddy pool" I'm not sure what they mean becuase there is not kiddy pool around as the family pool is 3.5 feet deep. DO NOT go here just for the pool draw. Not worth it.

Parking lot underground is like 5'4" so your suv/van may not fit. You could valet park for $29 a day (plus tip) or, as I did, park in the adjacent (to main lobby) lot for $20 for 24 hours.

The hotel staff were professional if a bit impersonal (to be expected on a packed weekend in a big city). No real smiles except for the bellman. You sort of have to fend for yourself here.
There are a million elevators for all different floors and the lobby was chaotic with seemingly the entire visiting population staying here. Elevators were small and took forever - you could not fit a luggage cart in the guest elevators - so you either have to have the bellman take it up - or you carry it piece by piece.

Rooms were a bit small but very nice, phone reservations promised up a king and pullout couch, but we got two doubles. Lukewarm water in the showers but they did give a $70 rate reduction for the trouble. Views are just ok.

Next time I think we will stay in a hotel ouside of the city like Missagua or Oakville and save a bit.

Hockey Hall of Fame is very well done. If you like Hockey at all - you will love the hall of fame. Get to kiss the Cup.

• Liked — Rooms Decor and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Price and Crowds
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay a bit outside of the city, drive in, park in Toronto Municipal, parking, get subway pass, go everywhere.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

I arrived in Toronto on July 18'th, on a last minute flight. I was to have surgery at one of the Hospitals, and with a few extra minutes to spare, I went straight to the hotel to book a room. The Chelsea had been recommended by the Hospital staff who told me that you will get a discount if you are a patient (ie: out of town guests with medical proof). As I was checking in, I explained that I was here for surgery and was wondering what discount applied. The young man then told me (with not a very nice look in his eyes), "that's too bad, because we are running at slightly more than half capacity, so we don't have to offer any discount". I left it at that, but I am hoping that the thousands of people who travel to Toronto for medical reasons will bypass this hotel, and for all the thousands of Hospital staff not to recommend this very cruel hotel.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Tips/Secrets — STAY AWAY
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

Well ... there's good and bad here. The good first. Very well appointed rooms, updated furniture, essentially pretty clean, comfortable beds, and plenty of eating options. And, for $159 CAD for a hotel in the center of a major city like Toronto, we were rather happy with our choice.

But .. with the good comes the bad, and there is some of that here too. The lobby area was virtually always crowded, with scores of people coming and going in a somewhat small space. There was a stain on our comforter. And the concierge -- probably given the number of people seeking help -- was a little less than interested in helping, and gave us some pretty lousy advice.

So... worth the stay if the price is right.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

Our accommodations were one of the updated rooms; very pleasant and just large enough to suit us. The hotel staff could not have been more friendly or more helpful, so for our next trip to Toronto, we will be sure to book back into the Delta Chelsea, which is also very centrally located.

From the hotel we were able to walk to many Toronto points of interest and had just a 10 minute drive to the harbor front. The hotel has some very good restaurants (the breakfast brunch served at their Market Place Restaurant patio is a great way to start the day) and several comfortable lounges (their Elm Street Lounge is the perfect place to wind down at the end of a hot summer's day), but we also discovered the greatest little Italian restaurant just outside the hotel's Elm Street exit, named, quite appropriately, 35 Elm Street. In fact, there are several very good restaurants on the stretch of Elm Street directly opposite the hotel.

With so many fine places to dine at the hotel or very close by, and with shopping just around the corner at Eaton Place, we hardly had to use our rental car. Everything about the Delta Chelsea Hotel contributed to a very enjoyable and relaxing week in Toronto.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Eaton Chelsea? Share your experiences!