“Is this the Toronto zoo?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Eaton Chelsea

You added Eaton Chelsea to your Saves list
Eaton Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gerrard Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z4, Canada (Formerly Delta Chelsea) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Calabogie
“Is this the Toronto zoo?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I've stayed at the Chelsea when it was a Delta and I have fond memories. It was a solid 3* back then. What a zoo it is now. Understaffing is apparent in that the lineup for check in wound around to the elevators and took 40 minutes. The room we booked was not available and the over worked reception were not at all helpful. My daughter is sleeping on the floor right now. to be continued...

Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Polish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

On Nov 26, 2014, I finally returned to the Eaton Chelsea (formerly the Delta Chelsea) since the hotel ceased to be part of the Delta hotel chain. After my last stay in June 2013, I was hesitant at what I might find at the renamed property.

The tired old lobby has been brightened up making it appear more modern. At the '1865' preferred guest check-in desk. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of familiar faces. When I looked around, many of the old staff was still working at the Chelsea.

My eastward facing room #1673 did not surprise me. The decor was tired and dated. The bedrooms have needed to be freshened up for years. Overall, the room was clean and the king-size bed was very comfortable.

The one thing that the Chelsea has over most Toronto hotels is its location. You’re just minutes away from the city’s attractions. The Eaton Centre and the subway are a 5 min. walk south of hotel. The theatre district, the Art Gallery of Ontario, and the Royal Ontario Museum are about a 10-15 walk from the hotel. You can’t beat the Chelsea’s location especially if you’re like me and like to go back to the hotel throughout the day to unload parcels, change clothes, etc.

The next morning, I saw more familiar faces at the hotel’s BB33 where I’ve enjoyed many buffet breakfasts over the last 35 years. This quiet restaurant, which is serviced by true professionals, is perfect place to start or end your day.

After leaving the restaurant, I spoke to a staff member who reminded me that though the hotel was no longer a ‘Delta’, it was still owned by the same owners and staffed by most of the staff that were there when it was a ‘Delta’. I appreciated her comments as they made me realise that this was the same great hotel that my spouse and I would visit at least six times every year. Though the Chelsea isn’t the most modern Toronto hotel, it is staffed by professionals who make you feel welcomed, and has the best location, location, location.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I purchased this hotel from Priceline as an Express Deal. I researched extensively on a place to stay in Downtown Toronto and the Eaton Chelsea was simply the best value considering the location. You are walking distance from so many attractions and public transport, and this hotel has a lot of amenities.

I think the Express Deals offer you rooms that are probably less "desired" from what you would find a high-end hotel, but if you are coming to Toronto as a place of fun and relaxation, then what are you doing spending so much time in the hotel room that a wall slightly peeling actually bothers your stay? I stayed in the green elevator section of the hotel, which I think was the section yet to be re-modeled, so yes it did look a bit run-down, but I came to visit some friends and relax and explore more of Toronto, so my use of my hotel room was a place to sleep and bathe. That really is how traveling should be. And I didn't have any of the issues with cleanliness that others had in the room. My room was thoroughly cleaned.

Also, I think this section was the closest to the hospitals, but whatever noises people complained about I didn't hear them, nor did they bother me during my sleep because I was exhausted from all the fun and exploring I was doing in the city.

I came here 2 years ago when it was the Delta Chelsea and I paid much more for a similar stay, so I was thankful that I got a great deal this time around. And the Eaton Chelsea lobby is looking great and more lively.

My only few complaints were that the ice machine was broken on my floor and I made the mistake of getting ice only wearing socks, so my socks got wet. I quickly reported the issue and they fixed it as soon as possible. Also the machine was a bit unclear where the button was. It wasn't until I saw someone else using it that I realized the machine wasn't actually broken, it was just leaking water. As far as my room goes, I wasn't too satisfied with my pillow, they seemed a bit too plush yet a bit too hard at the same time. That is mostly just me though, I have always been picky about hotel pillows. Oh and even though it was cold, I still would have liked to have access to the balcony. Somehow there was no way to actually get to the balcony, but even if I wanted to I probably would not have gone since it was littered with bird droppings.

Overall, it's a great place to stay if you get it for the right deal and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a place in downtown Toronto that you just want to use as a place to sleep and bathe that doesn't break the bank.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Ashbourne, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stay frequently in this hotel with work. Generally I have found my stays here pleasent with very friendly staff, nice rooms and excellent location. Sadly it seems almost every stay I've had includes an under par clean on the bathroom. Hairs on floor/towels, grubby tiles or mirrors and just in general a dirty element. On my most recent stay I used the red lifts (lifts colour coded by sections of hotel they allow access to) and 2 of the 3 red lifts I used had rubbish on the floors, the fifth floor smelled of cigarettes throughout the hallway and the room again had poor standards on the bathroom. I would still recommend this hotel highly due to location and staff. Please Eaton Chelsea, revamp or deep clean all bathrooms. Thanks :-)

• Stayed December 2014
Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My 2 sons and I stayed at the Eaton Chelsea for a week while my husband was in Toronto General for heart surgery. The staff was excellent, the location was excellent and the room very comfortable. They gave us a roll away for my second son at no extra charge, Since we booked through the hospital both the room rate and parking rate were greatly reduced. The location was perfect. My only complaint was that the prices at the Market Garden were ridiculously high considering it is a self serve cafeteria.

Room Tip: room 1669 was quiet
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear 47Coco,

Thank you for taking time to your recent experience while staying at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. We are happy to learn that your stay was most enjoyable, and provided a good base while your husband was having surgery. We value the partnerships we have with the local hospitals and look forward to continuing this service. Your feedback will be shared with the management team for review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Paget Parish, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Close enough for everything yet no noise disturbance. Room cleaned and maintained daily. All facilities that you need either in hotel or very close by. An abundance of restaurants to choose from within 5 mins walk as well as the ones in the hotel.
Lobby staff very welcoming and helpful.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear VikkiVJ,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback from your recent stay at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel, and the different facilities we offer. You feedback is truly appreciated and will be shared with the management team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Although it boasts to be Canada's biggest hotel, never really had a significant problem. Elevator wait was always less than a minute. Taxi cabs knew its location. The location is central with two subway stations within a few minutes of walking distance (College station and Dundas station). There are several restaurants, a couple of 7-11s, a few departmental stores, several banks around the hotel. Eaton center, a large mall, is within 5 minutes walk.

We got a room with kitchenette. It was approximately 15X15ft with a 6X6 bathroom and 6X6 kitchenette. The room had a king sized bed and a seating area with a sofa that was also a pull-out bed, which came in handy as we were traveling with two children. Once you change it to bed though, there's little space left in the room to move around. The room had a balcony which ran the entire length of the room. The room also had heating and air conditioning. The wifi signals, however, were very weak and despite several request the issue was not resolved. Had read this in reviews too. The kitchenette had a large fridge, microwave, stoves, basic pots/pans/utensils. Bathroom was also clean and well equipped. Overall, the hotel was clean and tidy. There can be a wait at check-in sometimes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good wifi.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear HafeeZAHS,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your experience while staying at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. We are delighted that your stay was most enjoyable. We do apologize for the difficulty you experienced using the WiFi during your stay and any inconvenience this caused you. Our IT department will investigate the issue further to ensure this is corrected. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Been to Eaton Chelsea? Share your experiences!