“formally delta chelsea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eaton Chelsea

You added Eaton Chelsea to your Saves list
Eaton Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gerrard Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z4, Canada (Formerly Delta Chelsea) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“formally delta chelsea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

On arrival we were greeted by polite hotel staff but to our shock needed to leave a 300 dollar deposit for our room, um hello nobody mentioned this in the brochure or at the travel agent! our credit/bank cards were at home as we never travel with them so we had to use our money card which then struck into our spending emergency money! money was refunded once we checked out as we stayed for seven nights but was a bit of a surprise to say the least. Room was very comfortable, nice and clean, tv with lots of channels and tea and coffee making facilities. Bathroom was small but covered needs, showers a bit slow if your used to a blast to wake you up in the morning. Sleep was good, comfortable and peaceful. room service and clean towels everyday. Restaurant and bar was lovely great food drink and service, very large and clean with good food choices, there is a little gift shop with snacks and drink that was nice. Swimming pool was a hit with the kids as was the childrens room, and movie nights. There was often staff dressed up in reception which was fun and costumes were amazing, the garden near restaurant was nice also to sit and have a drink in. The gym and adult pool is a pleasure if you can sneak away if you have travelled with children. overall a pleasant hotel and good if your a family. Enjoyed our stay but if your new to travelling and hotels then please check for anything that you may not know beforehand like deposits or towels or safe hire to safe surprises and expense.

Room Tip: Ask for low floor if you have children and a view of the TSN building is amazing at night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Lindsey b,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at the Chelsea. We are pleased to know that our facilities and location proved to be very positive for your stay. Our adult pool and fitness facilities are great if traveling with out kids, but we also have a great family pool and kids creative center if you are with kids. I do apologize that you were not informed of our cash deposit policy prior to arrival and certainly understand your frustrations. I have passed your comments to the management team for review. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Polish first
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I remember this hotel as the Delta Chelsea from years ago. A huge hotel, over 3000 rooms - a terrific redone lobby. Great staff, great location.
However - this hotel is old. The room was clean but the balcony was not functional and frankly a bit nasty. Bed comfortable - flat screen TV.
I would stay again but cannot go over 3 stars on a hotel that needs a makeover.

The price is reasonable tells me they understand they can't charge top prices until the remodel is done.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Mdlphins,

Thank you for the feedback from your most recent stay. We are pleased that our locations and services are well suited for your needs when visiting Toronto. We thank you for your kind comments regarding our newly renovated lobby and restaurants. Our next phase of planning for renovations has begun and we are excited to continue upgrades through out the hotel. We look forward to your next visit and the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sarnia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed overnight in the Eaton Chelsea, and although the main reception areas are well kept and look like a four star hotel, perhaps some rooms need work. We compare it to our stay a few years ago when it was the Delta Chelsea and although not the same room,I don't remember the previous washroom looking so dated. New tiles, grouting and wallpaper are needed. The ceiling had a very noticeable patch job in the bedroom area but was otherwise okay. The room did not reflect what greeted you in the main foyer. Staff in the reception area however were very pleasant and friendly.
Breakfast was adequate in the market, also not really up to the charges. We would possibly stay again if we received a good price but know now what to expect.

Room Tip: Look for a good rate or package which will balance it all out.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 24Vacation,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your recent stay at the Chelsea. We are pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. We look forward to continuing our renovations throughout the hotel and are excited for the completion. Your feedback has been shared with our Rooms Division for review as we seek our greatest areas of opportunity.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you are just staying for a night it doesn't really matter. For all other reasons it is a typical 3 star hotel with the only thing going for it is good location for a sane price. Room was semi dirty not too discusting but not too clean. Same with the bathroom... The elevators were super busy at the evening for some reason (old and slow is the reason)
I'm not even sure it is worth a review with the level of mediocrity this hotel is...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Wacko_654,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. I must apologize that your experience was nothing special and deemed average. Our goal is to provide exceptional service which creates memories for our guests. I apologize that we failed to provide you an experience that was memorable for all the right reasons. We are currently working to bring our facilities up to date and on par with our competition. I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed one night on the 24th floor. The room was very nice, modern, king size bed, tv, and balcony. We had an upgraded package that included the 'E Club' services. We had complimentary appertizers in the evening and breakfast in the morning. We asked for a late check out and it didn't cost extra. The hotel had many restaurants and is walking distance to Dundas Sq and the Eaton Centre. Parking was $30 for 24 hrs. Overall it was a wonderful experience. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marci L,

Thank you for choosing the Eaton Chelsea Toronto for your special celebration. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the hotels facilities. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Traveled with friends this weekend and really enjoyed my stay there. Beds were very comfortable. Our room was spacious. Some of the other rooms were not, though. Found the building to be clean.

Some things could use some upgrading. Ice machines are one of them. Our bathroom was pretty dated and worn but still clean.

Everything was so close to walk to it was a perfect location for our stay.

Used the pool and hot tub. Very clean. Not really sure that the gym should be in that hot area though. The humidity would make it hard to breathe in there. Great view while exercising though.

My one complaint of the weekend is the parking. I paid for parking in the hotel 29.00 for self park. A lot of money for parking but in all no big deal. When leaving the hotel to get to my next destination - I spent 25 mins waiting in line to get out of the hotel. I ended up being 15 mins. late for where I needed to get to because of this. It should not take that long to give a card that states that you have already paid for the service. It was ridiculous. Parking and the price of parking is my only real complaint.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the hall seemed to be more spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Hcktm0m,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback from your recent stay. We are so pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. I do apologize for the delay you experienced leaving the parking garage and assure you that this is not the level at which we are aiming to operate. I have passed your feedback to our Services team for review. I hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I booked this hotel back in May, when it was still the Delta Chelsea, but my stay was after the name change.

Right in the centre of Toronto, the Chelsea has entrances on 4 separate streets, which means it practically has a block to itself. My taxi dropped me at the Gerrard St entrance and I made my way to Reception, where a pleasant young woman checked my reservation.

She asked me to spell my surname, then tapped away at her keyboard.

Next, she asked if the reservation could have been made under another name. I assured her that this was not the case.

"I can't seem to find your reservation on my system," she said, apologetically.

"Well, you've already got my money, so it has to be in there somewhere," I joked, handing over my paperwork from eBookers. I don't know whether it was the joke or the eBookers reservation, but her demeanour seemed to change; but after making a couple of phone calls and checking with somebody named Gino, I got a key to a room on the 18th floor (1851, in case anyone's interested) and directions to the elevators.

The room was clean, comfortable and, in line with every hotel room I've ever stayed in, totally unlike the photograph on the website. At the rear of the building, there wasn't much to see from the window, but it was clear that the exterior badly needed a facelift.

The balcony, which was inaccessible from the room and may have been a fire escape route, had a rusted railing from which paint was peeling in places, and an item of ladies' clothing that appeared to have been there for some time (and for all I know, still is).

That aside, there was little to fault with the interior, and the staff were professional and helpful in all things.

A good breakfast can be had, buffet-style, on the ground floor (I recommend the pancakes), and the Monarch's Pub boasts a more than decent food menu and is not to be missed. The bartender during my stay, a lady by the name of Linda, keeps a good bar and taught me how to pronounce "Okanagan Springs" which I got wrong on my first couple of attempts.

It's a good place for a relaxing beer after a day's sightseeing or watching your baseball team lose.

So, would I go back?

Since this was my first trip to Toronto (hopefully the first of many), I wouldn't discount the idea; the hotel is centrally-located and no more than 5 minutes' walk from Yonge-Dundas Square and the Eaton Centre.

And while I do think the hotel needs to be a little more, ah, accurate in the depiction of their rooms (and the hotel exterior), the reality wouldn't necessarily prevent my returning...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Solobob,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I apologize for the initial hiccup with your reservation and the delay in check-in. I am pleased that once that was sorted you were on your way to an enjoyable stay. We have recently begun a large balcony restoration project which we are excited to have completed. I am also glad you were able to experience the restaurants in the hotel, including the newly renovated Market Garden and T|Bar. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Been to Eaton Chelsea? Share your experiences!