“Stay if you get a good deal” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Hotel, Toronto

You added Chelsea Hotel, Toronto to your Saves list
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gerrard Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z4, Canada (Formerly Delta Chelsea) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Price
Save up to 20% OFF!
Ranked #69 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Stay if you get a good deal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Got a great deal for this property on Priceline, was here during the renovation period so review does not reflect what the hotel will be like when renovations are done. The hotel had significant construction going on, rooms definitely need some updating but has everything you need and in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jennifer K,

Thanks for your note. We appreciate feedback to help up improve services and let our staff know how they are doing. Hope you will visit us again once our renovations are complete!

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Polish first
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The location of this hotel is all that the Chelsea has going for it. I stayed there for three nights in Late June, early July while they were re-branding the hotel from Delta to Eaton. I got a good deal online for the room, and when I checked in, inquired about an upgrade, was told that for $25.00 i could have a room with a balcony, so I went for it. When I checked into my room, which I was able to do prior to lunch which was good, I noticed that I had a balcony, but the door couldn't be opened. Why would I pay for a balcony I couldn't use. I never complained but though that I was ripped off. The hotel was very busy, and noisey, as was the AC. There was noise noise from both the street and from other guests in the hotel. The rooms are not sound proof, or anywhere near it and this made getting a nights sleep almost impossible. The internet while free was slow and often dropped out. Doing anything online was almost impossible. The hotel is undergoing renovations. While the location is good, you may want to consider elsewhere unless you get a good price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place is huge. Incredibly huge. We were incredibly lucky to get a room as we tried 8 other places and they were sold out. We paid 229 plus tax and 29 for parking.

Parking was ridiculous. We had to go to N5 to find a spot.

The lobby was super busy when we got there, it was almost as busy as wonderland (or so it seemed)

Check in was great and fast. The elevators were SO slow. They need quicker elevators or more elevators to accommodate all the people. Everything else was fine.

Check out line was ridiculous, probably 30-50 in the line for a solid continuous 3 hours. We did an express Check out. Elevators going down was ridiculous. People were waiting 10 mins for an elevator.

Other than that beautiful hotel and perfect location

• Stayed July 2013
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear tlang5,

Thank you for your comments. I do apologize for the delays with our elevator systems. We are still experiencing long wait times for elevator repairs since the end of the union strike last week. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you during your stay. Aside from the wait times, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return.

Vaughan, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here again for one night. It's proximity to area attractions is what it has going for it. Other then that its a standard hotel, perhaps better priced then similar 3 star properties in the area. Rooms are clean and a decent size. Our room was on the 15th floor and had a full balcony that you could go out to, which was nice. Overall nothing bad, nothing amazing.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Brucie35,

Thank you for providing us with some feedback from your recent experiences at the Eaton Chelsea. I am pleased the learn that your overall experiences were enjoyable. We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back.

Tucker, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at the Eaton Chelsea for five days, July 2 through July 7. It is a nice hotel, but older. Eaton has recently taken over this property and are evidently upgrading it. They were working on the breakfast area while we were there, it was open only on the last two days. They were working on the floors in the loby every day, polishing the marble in sections. The rooms are smaller than newer hotels, but the rooms were clean, the A/C worked great, the staff was friendly and helpful. I love the area around the hotel. A unbelievable selection of small food joints of different cuisines. Had some great, relatively cheap meals at them. Great people watching. I found a parking garage about 4 blocks away for half the hotel price. I was part of a convention so didn't have a choice of hotels. If I go back for vacation, I would find a cheaper one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Paul D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at The Eaton Chelsea. I am pleased that the location, and amenities at the hotel were well suited for your needs. It is great to hear that all the staff your encountered provided friendly helpful service. Keep an eye on our rates as we do some promotions and sales throughout the year. I hope that we may welcome you back some day.

Belleville, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

So, we gave the Chelsea another try for a one-night stay at the end of June 2013 after a less-than-impressive getaway in the summer of 2012. I am happy to report that there was a definite improvement from our first visit.

Prior to our stay, we were in contact quite frequently with the Guest Services Manager, Alastair, whom we found helpful and responsive. We appreciated his assistance in handling our reservation.

We utilized the self-parking upon arrival. VERY tight to get our SUV around the corners of the parking garage. Those that drive larger vehicles should be forewarned. It took us several levels to find an open space, but to be fair, the hotel was extremely busy housing guests for Toront's annual Gay Pride weekend.

Check-in was handled quickly and efficiently, a vast improvement from our 2012 visit. The front desk rep was knowledgeable and courteous. There is a lot of construction being carried out in the lobby of the hotel, which makes things a little chaotic, but overall we thought it was being handled well. As we waited in the line to check in (which moved really quite quickly), there was a robot interacting with guests that was kind of a novel distraction. His antics were not pre-recorded....it was actually speaking directly to guests (often singing and "dancing" in between times) .... so the entertainment made the wait seem very short.

We were assigned a one bedroom suite on the 25th floor of the hotel. We really liked the layout of the room and it was very spacious. There was a full kitchen, a separate bedroom with a king bed, a living area, and a bathroom. The bathroom was very tiny considering the size of the remainder of the suite, which seemed odd, but it served its purpose. The room was clean and in much better repair compared to the room we had in 2012, but the decor was most definitely still dated. The large balcony outside was covered in pigeon droppings and very rusted in places, but provided a good view of the cityscape if you were careful where you stepped and not to lean on the rusty handrail.

Elevator service was s.l.o.w. Really slow. And being on the 25th floor, we had no other option but to wait it out. It did appear that only a couple of their many elevators seemed to be in operation at any given time.

All meals were eaten outside the hotel (as the restaurant area is being reconstructed), but there were tons of places within walking distance so that was not an issue. It is also an easy walk to the Eaton Centre and Yonge & Dundas Square (where there are free outdoor concerts on Friday nights during the summer months).

We utilized the pool, waterslide and hot tub. The area was fairly busy at times but well staffed with lifeguards and lots of pool towels. Husband and son very much enjoyed the corkscrew slide, as they did on our prior visit. We also checked out the teen area (Club 33, I believe) and our 17 year old was fairly impressed with the offerings there (pool table, video games, etc.).

All personnel that we encountered (from lifeguards to staff in the lobby) were friendly and helpful.

One odd thing that happend (odd pleasant, not odd bad) was a knock at the door in the early evening hours. Not expecting anyone, we were curious as to who it could be. There were two Chelsea staff members there, who delivered a bottle of water, a bag of ice, and a handful of chocolates. Not sure why.....but hey, when someone shows up at your door with chocolate, you don't ask questions! :-)

Was it a perfect stay? No. But it was perfectly acceptable. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could (it just doesn't quite hit 4.....perhaps after Eaton completes the scheduled renos and the property has a more updated feel).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina,

Thank you for completing a review of your stay with us once again. We appreciate this information as we use it to improve service and let our staff know how they are doing. It was a pleasure to make these arrangements for you and I am so happy you were provided with a much better experience this time around. The chocolates and water are part of our turn down service program, I am happy it was a pleasant surprise. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

WOLFVILLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were attending the Barbershop Harmony Society Convention and chose the Delta because of previous experience and price considerations.

The transition from Delta to Eaton was fairly smooth, but it left us without a restaurant for breakfast, other than a kiosk in the lobby. As we were about to leave the Market Garden and express|o Coffee Bar opened. It's a bit pricy.

The free WiFI was well used, and is nice to see at a major chain!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear SnowDude,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at the Chelsea. I am pleased that you choose the Chelsea for your convention again this year. We do enjoying having this unique group with us and love hearing the groups practice throughout areas of the hotel. I do apologize that you were without a breakfast location on our transition day. The opening of our restaurant was slightly delayed but it is now open and fully operational! We hope to have the Barbershop groups stay again next year and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Been to Chelsea Hotel, Toronto? Share your experiences!