“Fine, But needs improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eaton Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Eaton Chelsea to your Saves list
Eaton Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gerrard Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z4, Canada (Formerly Delta Chelsea) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% OFF!
Ranked #72 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
Carp, Canada
“Fine, But needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I needed a room downtown close to the subway, and this is what Hotwire proposed. The location was fine. Check-in was an experience. It turns out I had bungled up my reservation date. The person that checked me I was very helpful. Within 5 minutes I was son my way to my room, without having to call Hotwire. Impressive! My room was clean and comfy. It did look dated though.

I have three negative points. First, the windows were single pane. It was drafty and cold in the room a a result. Also,street noise woke me up frequently in the middle of the night. As this part of the hotel is due for renos, I hope this would be considered. I found the bandwidth to belimited in the evening. i would otherwise have granted a 4 star rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Rene B

It was a pleasure to read your review on your recent stay at the Chelsea. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I am please to learn of the service you received at check-in and arranging to change the date of arrival. This is the service and standards we are known for. The hotel is looking into the widows and balconies for our upcoming renovations. Thank you for your suggestions on this matter. As we have just installed the WiFi system we are still working out some dead zones in the hotel. I apologize that the signal strength was weak in your room and will be relaying that information to our Systems Manager for review. Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

As an alternative to a birthday party, we were treated to a one night staycation at the Delta Chelsea by my friend. We had an absolute blast. One night stay was $109 via Travelocity and worth every cent.

Recommended items:
- kids eat free, everywhere including the awesome Bb33 Bistro and Brasserie. The food was beyond delicious! Worth the $.
- Pool was great fun. We stayed in the family pool area and had a blast. There seemed to be a lot of chlorine used but understandable given that it was a family pool.
- The kids playroom was perfection. Lots to do.
- Loved the reception desk for kids - except my 4yr old figured out that she could get a new loot bag pretty much all the time. :)
- Love the smell of the lobby - it's the same as the Aria in Las Vegas.

Pass on the market garden restaurant. Overpriced and yucky food. Not worth it.

The rooms are a bit dated and very small. However, the majority of the time we spent playing.

Would definitely return at the same rate. :)

Room Tip: Beautiful views from the higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear CADRott

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent staycation at the Chelsea. It is great to hear of the wonderful time you had over the weekend attending a birthday party. Our recreation staff are great at throwing birthday parties and I am so happy they provided great service. Please stay tuned for announcements regarding our upcoming renovations this year. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We returned to the Delta Chelsea for the first time in years. It wasn't as good as we remembered. The rooms and lobby are outdated and have a bit of a dingy feel. Nothing special here. The possibility of scoring inclusive parking for a reasonable added charge is a draw.
The Market Garden restaurant is a complicated, buffet-style self-serve spot. Large and airy, but the prices on individual items add up quickly to a larger-than-expected bill at checkout.
Our biggest complaint was the front desk experience. Checking in and checking out took needlessly long, partly because the desk was very understaffed and partly because every customer interaction we observed--and waited for--seemed to have complications. The staff did not seem particularly competent, though they were friendly enough.
Next time we'd look for another downtown option.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Wjames5

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Chelsea. It is unfortunate that this stay did not match the service and quality you have come to know. I apologize that the Chelsea did not meet your expectations and can certainly understand your disappointment. As the hotel is going through the next transition we are planning some renovations and hope to have them started soon. We look forward to updating our facilities to better meet the needs of our guests. Please stay tuned for news on these upcoming changes. Thank you for your comments.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Was there for a couple nights on the weekend with my wife. Used as home base for touring the downtown. As I said no surprises, as expected. It's a little dated but clean and a great staff.
If you opt for the signature floors the lounge breakfast is one of the best of any Delta I've stayed. Great selection.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pat34153

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Chelsea. I am so pleased to read about your positive experience. It is so great that our staff provided friendly service and you enjoyed the hotels close proximity to many down town attractions. We hope you come visit again!

Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

As I bid through Priceline for a 3 1/2 star, I ended up returning to the Delta Chelsea.... and was generally pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what floor I was on last time, but this was the 24th and the hallways were much cleaner and fresher than the last time.
Our room was very clean and comfortable, although still some signs of wear and tear. For example the bathroom floor tile was a little chipped and there is a cigarette hole in the sheer drapes which I was kind of annoyed to have to explain to my daughter as it made her think somebody could be smoking next door and burn down the hotel.
Comfortable beds, wired internet.
Front desk service was not speedy and could have been much more helpful. I wanted to book a second night after arriving, but the first person I spoke to wouldn't give me a price. He said, 'Just go to expedia or priceline.' I waited until he was occupied and spoke to another person at the front desk who was much more helpful. After seeing this, the first person was suddenly more amenable. Maybe he thought I had just been trying to see what a room would have cost me at regular price to compare to my priceline price? We managed to book a second night at the regular rate (which was the same rate posted by priceline and expedia).
I'm still annoyed that the water slide is only open on weekends as I am always there during the week and with a child. It is kind of focal to their advertising.
We ate in the dining room and enjoyed our meal. I felt that the waiter was aloof to begin, but did manage to warm up over the course of the meal. The meals were reasonably priced, tasty and nicely presented. The second night we ordered room service which was delivered quickly, hot and was equally tasty.
I like that the Market Garden is available for bedtime snack.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Onvoyage_3

Thank you for your note regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that your overall stay was enjoyable. I do apologize for the level of service you received from our front desk and assure you this is not how we usually operate. I also apologize for our current slide times. During our off-season it is tricky to staff this facility based on our occupancies. I can certainly understand your disappointment. As winter is coming to an end we look forward to switching over to our spring/summer hours. Our restaurants are excellent and it is great to hear that you enjoyed both the late hours of Market Garden and the fast service from our In Room Dinning. Since your visit we have completed the installation of wireless internet and now offer complimentary wireless through out all guest rooms and common areas. I hope your bidding leads you to the Chelsea again, and look forward to welcoming you back!

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel may be a bit dated in the regular rooms, but they are very clean, and who spends all day in the hotel room anyway. I would much rather save money and have great service and a great location. If you want those things, and don't care about the size, this is the place for you. While the Market Garden is VERY expensive for food, I definitely recommend going to Monarchs Pub for dinner or a snack. The food and service is great. I especially wanted to recognize Nadine who was very pleasant and helpful and so was Ava in reservations.

If you are looking for some good breakfast, here is a Cora's up the street, where you also get a discount with your delta key.

Room Tip: ask for a room high as possible away from elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mjhoc

Thank you so much for your recent review. It is so great to read of your positive experiences at the Chelsea. I am so happy that our staff provided excellent service and you also enjoyed our Monarchs Pub. I will be passing your feedback on to Nadine, and thank you for those comments. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've stayed at the Delta Chelsea several times over the past 2 years for leisure travel to the city with the most recent visit this month. The reservation staff are always friendly and efficient, my requests are always taken care of. Check-in at the privilege desk is quick and painless and the facilities are always above standard! Will continue to stay in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear 41DaveJ

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Chelsea. It is so wonderful that you have chosen the Chelsea as your hotel when visiting Toronto. Our location is prime for those travelling for leisure and for those who want to be close to all the action down town Toronto has to offer visitors. I am pleased that our reservations staff were quick and efficient when making your bookings. I am also happy to hear that you are a member of our Privilege program and enjoy all the benefits the program offers. Once again I would like to thank you for the feedback and look forward to your next visit with us!

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Been to Eaton Chelsea? Share your experiences!