“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Eaton Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Eaton Chelsea to your Saves list
Eaton Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gerrard Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z4, Canada (Formerly Delta Chelsea) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% OFF!
Ranked #72 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed for a few night January 23 - 26. I have stayed her many times and always liked it. But this time I was put in the old section and was extremely disappointed. The room was tiny, the bathroom very very small. The room had not been properly cleaned and the previous guests lanyard and admission to some festival was left hanging on a coat hanger on a picture attached to the wall.
Late in the evening I realized I had misplaced my iphone charger. The people at the concierge desk had absolutely no interest in assisting me.

I will likely stay here again as the location is great - but make sure not to get the older section!

Room Tip: Insist on the newer section. Avoid the green elevators.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Onedery

Thank you for you recent note regarding your stay. It is unfortunate that this stay did not match the service you have come to know from our hotel. I can understand you disappointment and assure you that this is not the level we intend to operate at. I apologize that our concierge was not helpful trying to locate your i-phone charger. Please contact the hotels lost and found to report this item as it may have been turned in there. 416-585-4373 (ask for Lost and Found). In regards to the cleanliness and condition of your room, I must apologize. It is clear that we did not meet our standards of cleanliness in this room. I have reported this with our housekeeping director to review with team members. It is unfortunate that your stay was tarnished by theses errors in service. I hope that you will return to the hotel so we may have the opportunity to provide you with the excellent service we are known for.

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I overnighted at this hotel in September 2012 going on an overseas trip and then again in October 2012 when I came back.

The hotel is huge and the lobby seemed to be full of people the both times I was there. However, I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and I was pointed to the Delta Privilege desk the second time around. A much more relaxed check in: I guess that's part of the priviledge.

Because it's such a huge hotel, the elevators are divided up into banks serving specific floors and colour-coded. This seemed more tricky to navigate than it probably should have--I found myself in front of the wrong bank on my first try more often than not. I think that my have been me. There seemed to be quite a wait for the elevators, but considering the busyness of the lobby, perhaps that's not surprising.

I believe that the hotel was redoing the underground parking on the Gerrard street side of the building and that was extremely unpleasant to walk by to and from Yonge Street. The second time I was there, the desk clerk made sure that my room wasn't near that noise, which was very nice of her.

Both of the rooms were very nice and appear to have been done fairly recently. The beds were comfortable and clean and so were the bathrooms.

I do like the location of the hotel. It's half-a-block from Yonge Street, so it's close enough to the shopping and other amenties, but far enough away that you don't get all the traffic noise. I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear WildCanadian

Thank you for your note regarding your recent visit. I am glad our staff, location, and loyalty program were the main contributors to you pleasant overall experience. As a large hotel with multiple elevator banks it is not uncommon for guests to get a little turned around especially when the lobby is a busy hive of activity. I am happy that you are a part of our loyalty program and look forward to you next stay. Keep your eyes out for special offers and promotions throughout the year!

Baddeck, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Traveling across Canada, we decided to stay a couple days in Toronto and explore the city. All employees we encountered were very pleasant. The room we stayed in was overall good and had a fantastic bed! We stayed during March break, thus crawling with kids. Though not what we were looking for, there seemed to be lots of programs and activities planned for the kids, so great time for a family getaway. Location is, of course, excellent. We walked everywhere downtown. Did not try the restaurant or many hotel services. Secure parking also a bonus. Recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Matthew M

Thank you very much for you comments on your travels to Toronto. Its is so great to hear about your positive experiences and feedback during your stay at the Chelsea. I am glad all the employees you encountered we pleasant and were able to provide for your needs. Our beds are some of our guests favourite feature and keeps them coming back time after time! Another favourite feature which you benefited from is our location. It is especially great when guests are wishing to explore main attractions and restaurants within the core. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

i was in toronto for work and once again stayed here in a "standard" delta room, In the past i had stayed here in a delta room and a deluxe room, I didnt think the "delta" room would be much as when i stayed in one 4 years ago the room was the size of a closet, this time my delta room was very very nice.

The hotel staff was very helpful i was unsure my Ford Ranger with the "off road" suspension would fit in the parking lot. It is a good 5-6 inches higher than the posted 5'4 of the parking lot. The valet came out and said "it fits" he was right, no issues at all. I ordered room service one night and it was fast and hot (15 minutes)

Since my last stay wired internet is now free which is nice, but remember a 25 foot cable if you want to use it from the bed.

Now for the issues, i was midway up the building in the "old" portion (along gerrard) and since the new condo tower has gone up accross the street it has become an echo canyon, im a sound sleeper so its not too bad but remember Gerrard is a main road into the hospital district so ambulances with sirens blaring are a normal part of things. If possible request a south facing room or a west facing room in the "new" tower.

There was an issue with the glazing of my patio door, the window shifted in the frame about an 8th of an inch, which meant i had cold air comming in constantly, i like sleeping in a cold room so it was a non isue, but to those who like heat it could be. As well the bathtub could have been scrubbed a bit better (ring)

The delta chelsea is by no means a 5 star hotel, but its pleasant and fairly clean with a reasonable price. One thing to note, i read while booking on the delta website this hotel is losing its Delta branding this summer. We shall see if this is a good thing or bad thing.

Room Tip: South sides are quieter, no noise from gerrard street
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Jason C

It was great to read you review regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy that our bellman provided great service when you were inquiring about the height of our parking garage. I am also glad to hear that your In Room Dinning meal came to you within a reasonable time and temperature. Since your stay we have launched wireless internet in all our guest rooms and common areas. Guest can now connect in their room to a complimentary wireless signal. We are happy to announce this and look forward to providing this essential service. The change in brand is going to positively effect the hotel. Since the new brand is owned by our current owners(Delta Hotels being the current managing company only) there will be no changes to our staffing and services. We look forward to representing the new Hotel brand in Toronto and are excited for this opportunity. Please stay tuned for more information as this switch comes closer. Thank you once again for you review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Chelsea over New Years and brought in 2013. The hotel, again being centrally located and only several blocks away from all amenities...was reasonably clean and confortable and provided what I was after....a clean hotel with a reasonably comfortable bed. Yes it is a little dated, and a little worn...but if you look around, I`m confident you`ll receive a great rate....making it a totally acceptable experience for the money spent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Saskatoonbanker

Thank you for your note regarding your recent stay. It is so great that you chose to ring in 2013 with us. I am happy that the hotel was well suited for your needs and price point. The location of the hotel is some of our guests favourite feature and allows for great opportunities in the down town core. We are currently planning our next stages of renovations and hope to have them started soon. Since your visit we have completed the installation of complimentary wireless internet in all guest rooms as well as updated all the television in our guest rooms. We are excited by the completion of these projects and look forward to have our guest experience these upgrades. We hope you will join us again soon!

Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I checked in after a travel expo I was working. This is a fine hotel, nothing amazing and nothing terrible. If you want a clean reasonably priced hotel the is a good choice. It is in a great location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair I, Manager at Eaton Chelsea, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Brucie35

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay at the Chelsea. By taking 15 minutes to tell us how we are doing, you are helping on our journey to continuously improve the level of service we are providing to our guests. I was pleased to learn that you stay was overall most enjoyable. It is great that the hotel was well situated for your needs and came at a reasonable price for value for you. We look forward to your next visit.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at the Delta Chelsea for 2 nights, Feb 1 & 2, 2013 while in Toronto on business. The room I had (on the 24th floor) was very dated, wallpaper was peeling and was very small. I booked through Priceline, so taking that into account, perhaps I was given one of the older dated rooms due to the price I paid. The value I'm giving the hotel is based on regular room rates, and not what I paid through Priceline.

The staff however, were very efficient and friendly and room service is somewhat reasonably priced.

Location is excellent in the heart of Toronto, but I don't think I'd stay at this location again due to the overall condition of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Louisbean

Thank you for completing a review of your stay at the Chelsea. It is such a great opportunity for the hotel when guests provide feedback. We use this information to better our services and facilities. I was concerned with the condition in which the room you were provided was in. I can assure this is not a representation of the level of service we aim to provide our guests. We have renovated floors to better suit some guests and are currently planning the next phase of renovations. We hope to have these renovations started soon and look forward to their completion. It is great that you were able to enjoy some other facilities in the hotel and our staff provided friendly, welcoming service.

Thank you once again for your feedback,

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Been to Eaton Chelsea? Share your experiences!