“A stylish and welcoming gem in a great location..” 5 of 5 stars

Banting House Inn
73 Homewood Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4Y2K1, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 122 Toronto B&B and Inns
Yorkshire
“A stylish and welcoming gem in a great location..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

What a great find this was through the power of Tripadvisor! Scott is a fantastic host - very relaxed in his style and couldn't do enough to help settle me into Banting House and make the most of my first Trip to Toronto. He even drew me a map for each day with suggested places to wander around and soak up to my taste.

Banting House itself is a gem - a quirky little B&B filled with great pieces and fantastic artwork. There are many original features in the house and I loved the style. The bedrooms are beautiful and very individual and whilst I wouldn't usually book a B&B with a shared bathroom, this place is worth that small compromise. In a 3 night stay, I didn't have to wait once and it was immaculately clean and well looked after.

Breakfast is a very relaxed affair and Scott's blueberry pancakes are to die for - they should be savoured at least once! Everyone sits around one large table and it's a great place as a solo traveller to meet other travellers and swap recommendations.

I would return to this place like a shot...just book in advance to make sure that you aren't disappointed!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
lausanne, switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I needed a place for one night in Toronto and totally improvised my reservation based on a quick web search. How lucky was I! Of course this is not the standard hotel, it's an old house, not all bedrooms have a private bathroom, but the room was amazingly nice. The atmosphere was great and the breakfast shared on the unique table was a great moment, chatting with other guests and the owner. I learnt more about Toronto during these 20 minutes than during my 2-day stay. A marvellous place!

Room Tip: Not all bedrooms have a bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here for three nights. Scott, the owner, was happy to meet us at a time that was convenient for us (we arrived mid morning), and was very friendly and helpful, suggesting good restaurants in the local area. The hotel is not in downtown Toronto, but is in walking distance to Yonge Street and the University, with restaurants very nearby (we would suggest Guu and House on Parliament). It is clean and tidy, and has a quirky, homely, relaxed feel. Our bedroom was lovely, as was the living room where we relaxed in the evening with a cup of tea. The breakfast was very tasty (both the blueberry pancakes and French toast were delicious). Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed at the Banting House Inn with my 6 and 9 year old sons during their Spring Break in March 2014. Scott, the owner, was just incredibly welcoming and warm during our stay from the moment we arrived! I was initially a little worried that having two little rambunctious boys in a beautiful old B&B wouldn't work so well, but I couldn't have been more wrong!

Our luggage was lost by the airline and Scott was so helpful and caring to make sure that we had what we needed and was genuinely concerned with making sure we had what we needed to get it back (we eventually did). He was remarkably helpful with directions and had some good ideas for things to see and places to go, even during the cold month month of March. His advice was great!

Our room was beautiful, cozy and perfect. Scott's taste in decor is impeccable, making the Banting House B&B almost like staying in a home transported back in time, but with just enough amenities to make it incredibly comfortable. I even took photos to put in our 2014 photo album back home.

Of course, one of the best reasons to stay at a B&B is finding a place with great breakfast - and we were successful! Scott made a beautiful breakfast every morning, and sometimes baked fresh bread in the bread maker over night - the smell was so lovely to wake up to! My oldest son still asks me why I can't make toast like the kind we had at the Banting House :-) (he had about 4 pieces every morning).

Our stay was perfect and I would do it again! My sons have asked to come back during the summer months sometime and I think we definitely will - and we will stay at the Banting House Inn, once again! I can't recommend it enough!!

Room Tip: Whoops! No swimming pool :-) A good tip - all of the rooms are beautiful, just make sure to give...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We had wonderful stay for 4 nights at Banting House. Scott was an excellent host with nothing being to much trouble. He provided us with some good tips on how to spend our time in the city and made amazing blueberry pancakes for breakfast!
The house itself is large and beautifully decorated and we were given free run of the lounge and kitchen facilities. Homemade bread, fruit and yoghurt were provided as snacks if required throughout the day. We had use of the shared bathroom which did not prove to be an inconvenience.
Location of the house is great and walking distance to many of the shops and restaurants.
Would highly recommend!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We really loved staying here. Scott was very welcoming and gave us great advice about what to see and do in Toronto. The house is absolutely beautiful. Breakfast was amazing - best pancakes ever. The neighbourhood was great - some nice restaurants and bars around and a friendly atmosphere. We walked everywhere without problem. I doubt you can find anywhere else so well located and so comfortable at such a reasonable price!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Banting Inn last December. Everything was perfect! Our room was beautiful. Spotlessly clean and very comfortable and warm. The decor in the house is beautiful. My favourite part of the day was going down to the kitchen for breakfast - Scott made the most beautiful breakfasts for us - pancakes, eggs and bacon were delicious but the french toast was my favourite. Scott is a wonderful host and has perfected the skill of always being available and ready to help, but never being intrusive or too 'in your face'. We were visiting for interviews and Scott really helped us out because we needed to get our suits pressed after packing them for our flight - and we couldn't find anywhere that would do them in a fast enough turnaround time. Scott insisted on doing them himself!! (And did a perfect job on them too!!). We really thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would (and will) definitely stay again. Highly recommended!
The historic aspect of the house is very interesting and it was great to hear about it from Scott over breakfast.
We stayed in the Banting room and it was lovely. Before we visited, I knew that there was a school next door. We heard children playing in the school yard in the morning but we didn't mind that and it wasn't very loud.
If you are hesitating - don't. It's good value, reasonably centrally-located (you can walk to downtown in a few minutes, the metro is just 5 minutes walk). Book it and enjoy a great trip :-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Banting House Inn? Share your experiences!