“Why We Return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Toronto

You added Grand Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Toronto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Jarvis St, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2C1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
“Why We Return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

Toronto's Grand Hotel has become a home away from home for us. We travel to Toronto to visit our college age kids, realtives, friends and conduct business. We have certain special requirements that the hotel has never failed to meet. The staff have met the diverse needs of our visits time and again and have accomadated our needs in manner that can only be described in superlatives. The hotel shuttle service is sensibly used and is a really great feature when travelling with older folks and really young children. The hotel has some great facilities.. but the friendly and professional staff is the main reason that whenever we have to travel to Canada we make up reasons to return to the Grand.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2006

Just read the 2004-05 reviews to see if I could add anything. I used the fitness, pool, business ctr, breakfast buffet and had a look at the laundry room. The hotel is good, but there are problems, most mentioned by other posters.
The "suite": small. Tattered carpet, peeling paint by the windows, dishes but no cooking utensils. Wall pictures are tacky - cheap frames and not matted. There is crown moulding, but not finished properly. Enjoyed a great southerly view. Bathroom is okay, but nothing special. Didn't care for the cheap bathroom door (2 panels that swing together) and no fan switch.
Good pool - but not as magnificent as pictured on the hotel website. The fitness room (on another floor!) is large; the equipment is okay. In the changeroom, couldn't figure out the whirlpool controls, but the steamroom is great. When I returned next day, it was evident that shower stalls hadn't been cleaned.
The tv screen for the adult programs indicates they are accessible with a call to the front desk.. so I concur with the poster that suggested the teenager of the irate poster may have made a call.
Laundry room has padded chairs around a tv, which is a bonus.
The breakfast buffet is way beyond continental. It includes scambled eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage. Most impressive. However, the restaurant's wood floors are in desperate need of paint; the black paint is hideous with it's wear.
The doorman at the front is hit or miss with opening the door for you. Seemed to be often busy doing nothing. The business centre has 3 computers.
Elevators can be e x t r e m e l y slow.
The good? Great breakfast, comfy beds, big windows, kitchenette. Overall, the place needs more money invested in it to make it grand.

• Stayed December 2005
Shaker Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

I've been to Toronto many times on business and vacation with my family and this is our favorite Hotel. The breakfast buffett is a great value and way beyond what typically is included.

The rooms are beautiful and nicely decorated, but not huge. The little kitchinette is good to have - keeps your beverages cold and allows you to heat up snacks. Don't plan on cooking- but why would you with so many great restaurants near by!

The pool and roof top patio are the best. If you have kids- don't stay anywhere else. My daughter dosen't to ever leave the pool!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
East Calder, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

My Husband and I have just returned last week from a 10 day stay at this wonderful hotel and I find it hard to beleive we were at the same hotel at the same time as the traveler from Whitby !
We arrived from the airport at 11a.m and hoped to store our bags till check in time. What a wonderful surprise when we were allocated our room and given a card with complimentary drinks for our anniversary. The room was very clean including the sheets. We had an excellent view of the lap dancing club behind the hotel ( we never saw anyone going in though!)
The breakfast on the patio each morning was excellent . I could also go on at great lengths about the roof top hot tubs, what a unique experience. In all the time we were there the staff were without exception pleasant and polite and should we ever be fortunate enough to visit Toronto again would not consider going anywhere but The Grand.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2005

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Toronto last week. Hotel was located close enough to the financial district where I had several meetings (special thanks to their shuttle bus driver dropping me off every morning). The hotel is also only several blocks from the Eaton centre shopping complex.

The breafast buffet selection was quite impressive and they offered great coffee.

Front desk and concierge staff were helpful as I had some printing and faxing needs. WIFI internet worked throughout the hotel, so I didn't need to stay in my room. In addition there are computers with internet access located in the business centre and one in the lobby.

The pool was stunning although I did not use it. The rooftop patio was great, complete with hot tubs and beautiful views of Toronto.

Toronto is a very impressive city, and the Grand is a very impressive hotel.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2005

The Grand
Excellent meet all my requirements there not a lot more you can say about a very good hotel, and all the were very helpfull too what a pleasent change.

They have realised that people using hotels are usualy from out of town or perhaps on holiday there and are well!! very helpfull.

thanks for a nice pleasent stay there keep it up

ian

Stayed September 2005
Andover, Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

Have just arrived back from the Grand and I must admit I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews! However, never went behind the hotel (had no need) and the walk to the Easton centre is a couple of blocks and tooks about 5 minutes.

The area between the hotel and the Eaton Centre is a little run down due to the state of some of the shops, however, me and my husband had no problem walking around during the day. We did take taxis's at night but then I would'nt walk around bits of London in the dark either.

The hotel itself was beautiful and the staff very helpful. We did have a problem the first night as the hotel could'nt find our booking, however in the end they did but they were fully booked for that night so they moved us to the penthouse suite in the Comfort Suites next door (which was OK but isn't a patch on the Grand) and gave us $150 voucher in spend in their restaurant (which served very good food although the portions were a bit too big), so I suppose they did their best.

The breakfasts are fab and you can either eat in the restaurant or on the patio which is heated (just watch out for the black squirrels and the sparrows!).

The rooms were excellent and very clean and modern. Whilst we were there, there were alot of actors (including someone from Eastenders), so it can't be that bad!

I would post some photo's of the fantastic views from the rooftop but unfortunately I put my camera in my suitcase which has been lost by Air Transat (along with most of my good clothes and things I bought), so please pack your camera in your hand luggage. I normally do, but because I had a lot of hand luggage I thought it would be safe in my case and that this sort of thing would never happen to me!

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Grand Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!