“Great Hotel and Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Arms Hotel

Windsor Arms Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 St. Thomas Street, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3E7, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #16 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ottawa
“Great Hotel and Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Lovely small luxury hotel with character situated on a quiet street right off Bloor - so convenient to shops. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful with valet parking and welcoming back to the hotel. We were upgraded at no charge on check-in to a larger sunny room with sitting area and two flat screen TVs. The Windsor Arms holds wonderful afternoon teas which are extremely popular - in their very attractive tea room. All-in-all a very pleasing stay. Our two disappointments were the morning continental breakfast where we were served with lukewarm tea and the outrageous cost of room service to bring two continental breakfasts to one room at a service charge of $24!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

It seems that something must have gone downhill in recent months at the Windsor Arms because we've heard such great things about it. Every local we met told us how stars stay at the hotel when in town. In fact, we even saw a famous actor in the elevator one day. The sad thing is that this charming hotel in a great location has such great potential but falls flat on its face in delivery. For the price-point, one expects pampering and near perfection. Here is where the hotel fell flat:

1. Our suite was worn and dirty (and, yes, after a few days we complained to management whose remedy was to send the housekeeping supervisor and a cheap bottle of wine to our room): Much of the furniture had ring marks on it, certain items hadn't been dusted in months, the curtains didn't hang correctly (my partner fixed them himself finally), the sofa smelled like urine. . .

2. The bedding was nothing special: most hotels now have pillow tops and luxurious bedding. The Windsor Arms bed had no padding. We called to ask if they had anything and all they had was a foam top, which helped somewhat but not much.

3. Service in all aspects of the hotel was inconsistent: The housekeeper would sometimes leave a certain number of towels, sometimes not; sometimes there would be slippers and the customary mat by the bed at turn-down sometimes not. Sometimes they would replace dirty drinking glasses, sometimes not.

4. The restaurant is pretty subpar (only ate breakfast and lunch there) and, as another reviewer alludes to, there is this server that they must have hired from diner in the middle of the country. You think, how on earth did she get a job here?

That all said, most of the front desk staff were gems and so was Damon, the concierge/bellhop, who was friendly and very knowledgeable of his recommendations.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I booked the romance package at $700 for our 15 year anniversary. For that price had high expectations. What a disappointment. The staff were shabbily dressed and generally inattentive. The spa host was unfriendly, but the spa staff were excellent and we did have a terrific couples massage. Out room was nice, but definitely underwhelming, for the price. The package included champagne, but it was just a glass each. I would have overlooked this mediocre, nickle and dine hotel experience if not for the breakfast. All we were offered during the breakfast were some muffins, danishes and croissants by a very unfriendly waitress. I cannot believe that there any sane management personnel would allow someone like this to work at their so called high end establishment. When my wife asked for a croissant, she was told they were out. For $700, how can you be out? No apologies, nothing. Then I asked if I needed to sign anything when we were ready to leave, to which she responded with a shake of here head and walked off. talk about the royal treatment. Not!!!

Furthermore, I booked the Windsor Arms because the website says they have a piano bar, which is open on Wednesday Thursday nights, I believe. It includes a tapas menu as well. We were very much looking forward to attending. However they replaced the piano bar with a tea room over a year ago, but the web site still have not been changed to reflect that change. Unbelievable to say the least. When I brought it up with the hotel, they just blew me off. I would never have booked if I have known there was no piano bar. I would have instead booked the Park Hyatt. Talk about regret.

Trust me. Do not go to this horrible join. We ended up checking out and going to Jack Astors for lunch. The service was outstanding from start to finish and the bill was $23. Hmmm.

ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

My stay at the Windsor Arms was perfect from beginning to end. I can't remember every one, but I can mention by name a few of the friendly and excellent staff who made my stay a treat: Melinda, Slavy, Neil, Damon, Edgar. And the gentleman who made me American iced tea each morning in Prime. Oh, and the bartender who walked my big snifter of Bailey's across the lobby so I wouldn't have to. Thank you. Thank you.
The location is excellent for business and the valet parking (with in & out privileges) is ideal. The internet service works perfectly--I had everything I needed for a successful business trip.
On another note, there were touches that made me feel spoiled to be away on business: wonderful jetted tub that filled very quickly, different turndown amenities each night, Molton Brown products, a comfortable sitting area and a cozy bed. And a butler's closet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Windsor Arms Hotel on our visit to Toronto. This is truly a beautiful boutique hotel. We were welcomed into our room on arrival with soft music playing and strawberries dipped in chocolate. Each day we came back to our room to find a food treat waiting to greet us. The staff are extremely friendly and cannot do enough to assist and accommodate your every need. The hotel is located in a lovely area of Toronto and is in good walking distance to all areas around the city. Continental breakfast was provided with the room and though this really just meant danishes there is a fantastic breakfast menu which is well priced and very substantial. The foyer bar is very relaxing and warm and welcoming. Overall the hotel is very classy and definately one of Torontos best, we would definately stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

A great gem in Yorkville! I am a Toronto native that moved away a couple years ago and am constantly looking for a great place to stay when I return. I am glad to say that I have found the comfort and great service that most Toronto hotels lack (along with a good price tag to match). I switched rooms a few times because the hotel was quite full and with each room I was very satisfied. They are all comfortable with large beds, seperate shower with large jacuzzi tubs, free internet, lots of tv channels and butlers who are truely helpful to tend to you during your stay. I also loved that they were willing to open the gym and pool 24/7 because I can be quite a night owl. Room service was always tasty too!
Definitly give it a try next time you're thinking of the Four Seasons or Hyatt!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Stayed here for a night. As a SLH member, they upgraded our room to a suite upon arrival. Gave us early check-in as well. Front desk, valet and butler service reps. were all very friendly and efficient. Areas for improvement at this hotel are:
room service; food not the greateast we have had at fine hotels although the steak from Prime Restaurant was good. Pool area needed cleaning and servicing. No towels and the sauna floors were dirty and stained.
Overall: the indoor pool is better the Four Seasons Toronto and the hotel is small and cozy. Would not stay here once the Ritz Carlton or the Shangri-La Hotel opens next year. This hotel along with a few others are going to need some serious face lifting if they want to compete with newer first class Toronto hotels that are coming onto the market in the near future.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Windsor Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!