“Old apartments made into hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Town Inn Suites

You added Town Inn Suites to your Saves list
Town Inn Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Church Street, Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G2, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #95 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Chatham, Canada
“Old apartments made into hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Struggled to find a room in Toronto that night under $200. Found this hotel close to downtown. and booked online for $169 for a one bedroom suite.
Arrived to chaos in the registration area with 3 people ahead of me having booked that online earlier that day and arrived to find that there was no record of their booking and no room available for them.
I was able to check in and was given a key to a room. Opened the door to find another very surprised guest already in the room having and her supper at the table. Went back to reception to find more people who had booked that day and arrived to no room.
Given key to another room. Met lady who had been out to walk her dog and another person bringing their groceries up to their apartment when in the elevator. Wonder whether some longer term tenants live there and some apartments are then rented out as a hotel room?
Arrived at a 2 bedroom apartment. Did not find the room to be dirty but did find the furniture and decor to be very dated. The sink was very slow to drain and the water pressure in the shower was low flowing. I did not use the kitchen and did not use the living area.

Not a high quality stay and I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Sarnia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have stayed here before and were pleased but we're afraid this will be the last time. The room was filthy and very run down. The refrigerator was leaking water. Took forever to get hot water out of the shower. We arrived late and decided not to request another room. We were tired and just wanted to sleep. Complained when we checked out and the front desk did credit us the parking charge but it was a very unpleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
reshell, Manager at Town Inn Suites, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take all of our customers' feedback very seriously and we do try and improve with every comment and review given. We are continually upgrading our suites and I hope next time you come to Toronto you try us again and see the improvements we have made.
Shelley, manager
shelley@towninn.com
Alexandria, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Nice suites, walking distance to downtown (when weather is good). Nice kitchen, spacious living room. Yet rooms are a bit stinky. Not an offensive smell, but like stagnated fragrance or like someone smoked recently in the room. Just needs good aeration

Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Looked for a clean central hotel close to all the amenities.
This was it. Service was excellent and for a hotel in its class was all one could expect.
Good value and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wallingford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have traveled extensively over the last 30 years and I have NEVER seen anything that even approached how bad this stay was.

My wife and I and our 3 teenagers were on vacation in Toronto and found this hotel on-line. We needed enough room for all of us, and the 2-bedroom suite met our price range and space requirements. Upon check-in, we were informed that there were some renovations going on, but "nothing that would disrupt our stay". We saw on-line that there was a kitchen, so we packed our cooler so that we could utilize the cooking space and save some money.

When we got to the room, it appeared old and in need of an upgrade, but the space was good and the price was right. The only problem was the kitchen was a mess. There were stains on the counter, grease in the stove drip-pans, and all of the glassware and pans had this "sticky' feel to them, so we opted out of the cooking idea. We ate what we could in plastic bowls and the like, but had to eat out for most of the 2-day stay.

But that wasn't even the tip of the iceberg. On Day 1, my wife got out of the shower and commented that the water went ice-cold. By now, we were a little frustrated, but not yet at the point to complain. We had arrived late the night before and wanted to sit at the table and plan our day in the city. I tried to connect to the "free Wi-Fi", but learned that it was only available in the lobby. OK, another minor inconvenience.

Now's where it gets unbearable. I opened up the curtains of our bedroom (on the 14th floor!!!) to find a construction worker standing facing our window. It scared the daylights out of us, not to mention that my wife is standing in the room changing from her shower! I quickly closed the curtain and went into the living area where my sons were sleeping. I opened their curtains and there was another worker! Right on our balcony looking into our suite!

Although I was reluctant to leave the kids and my wife alone, I decided I had had enough and went downstairs to complain. By now, my blood was boiling. There was a long line at the desk, but the people in line heard my complaint and let me move to the front. The girl at the desk proceeded to tell me to come back later as they were extremely busy (should have been my first sign!!). Since I was already uncomfortable leaving my family in the room with men on the balcony, I went back upstairs. As I got off the elevator on the 14th floor I heard a loud continuous noise coming from our room. My wife met me in the hall and was livid. As we walked back in the room, the men were drilling and jackhammering outside of our window on the balcony (at 9AM!!!). We couldn't hear each other from a foot away (so much for sitting in our room to plan our day)!!

We went back to the desk and asked for someone to come to our room immediately. We were told that would be "impossible". After raising my voice to the attendant, they finally sent up Mr. Green. He came to the room and witnessed what was going on. No apology, just a comment that he would "contact the construction company". We closed the blinds so the kids could shower and we left the room about 30 minutes later (the drilling continued the entire time!!!!).

At the desk, I asked to speak with the hotel manager and was told he was out that day and would return tomorrow. I asked for a phone call and was told that I was becoming irate and that it wouldn't be possible until tomorrow. Really? OK, fine. So we decided to wait until "tomorrow". Our check-out day. When we went to the desk to check out we were told that the manger still wasn't available, but he/she had authorized a $100.00 credit. What a cop-out!!

Cut to today. Two weeks later and I still have not received a call from anyone at the hotel. They informed me at check-out that they were charging my card, with the $100.00 credit (Gee thanks!). I informed them that until I received a call or e-mail (I have since sent a follow-up email... with no response), that the charge would be in dispute and that the charges would not be authorized. That is where it stands today.

We are totally sickened by the conditions that we were in, and by the way that our privacy was invaded. And to make matters worse, nobody at the hotel seemed to care, and nobody in any position of authority has had the common decency to reach out to us to explain or offer any support in this (although I'm sure we'll get the standard "we are so sorry for your inconvenience" response to this).

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TISHotelManager, General Manager at Town Inn Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Good afternoon Mr. Naser,

We are very sorry to read your review and regret this unfortunate situation.

As part of our continuous effort to improve the property we were undergoing renovations to the balconies on one side of the hotel during your stay. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you and your family.

We had ample signage informing our guests of the renovations in the lobby as well as balcony door in your suite.

We were happy to offer you compensation in good faith for the inconvenience you may have encountered and adjusted $200 from your total bill not $100. We adjusted $129 + tax off your room rate as well as $48 + tax for parking for two days.

We do value your comments and appreciate your feedback.

Again please accept our sincere apologies.

Sincerely
Town Inn Suites Management
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed overnight on a family holiday (2 adults, 1 toddler).

The service was nothing special, but quick and helpful.

First of all, the hotel is quite old and looking very run down. The carpet was heavily stained, bordering on disgusting, the walls are heavily marked, wall paper peeling, doors/shelves don't close properly etc and it is in bad need of a renovation.

That said, the rooms were still comfortable, and importantly clean. The kitchen, bathroom, fridges, linen etc were all very clean and despite the age/appearance, you felt comfortable in the room.

The location is fantastic. It's a block and a bit from the subway station, and is a block walk from what is obviously a Toronto LGBT precinct on Church St. As long as you don't mind seeing people in some "interesting" clothes at night (Sunday night and there were dudes out in their leather bondage gear), you can find excellent eating and drinking locales on Church St, and it seemed quite safe.

Overall, we found Town Inn excellent for a comfortable, clean and well located suite to spend some time in the city. It would be comfortable to spend a week or so there. I think some of the other reviews are a bit harsh. Yes, it is run down, but it's clean and priced well. It is what it is, and you have to be realistic that it is not a swish business hotel or a honeymoon destination.

Lucknow, ONtario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

we had called toronto tourism as we had a dificult time finding a hotel downtown.
it was 3 km from union station - which is not what it said online - so a $20 cab ride.
it was obviously last remodeled in the 1970's and the couch was very painful to sit on.
thankfully it was clean and the bed was comfortable.
we were not even directed to the pool and called before check out as they must have been in a hurry to get the next people in.
it was more money than we paid to stay downtown and not worth it at all.
at check in a lady butted in the line and they allowed her to do it while the rest of us stood and waited for service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Town Inn Suites? Share your experiences!