“Not a typical Hilton Stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Toronto

You added Hilton Toronto to your Saves list
Hilton Toronto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 Richmond Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2L2, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Rates from $159!
Ranked #36 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Waterloo, Canada
“Not a typical Hilton Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

August 18, 2007

Booked with Hotwire and got a fantastic deal for 2 rooms at the Hilton downtown. Have stayed there before so was expecting the typical 4 star treatment.
Our room was filthy as was the second room. Rubbish under the bed, bottle of deodrant on the floor, dirty carpets etc. We did complain and tried to change rooms but the hotel was full that night.
Next morning, we informed the staff again as we were checking out. Her solution was that since we used a bottle of water from the mini-bar, she would give that to us free in lieu of the bad condition of the room!!! Not really typical Hilton service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Syracuse NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

My husband and I booked the Hilton through Hotwire for 2 rooms for two nights. We haven’t traveled that much but we have stayed at an arrangement of hotels. Given that I got these rooms through Hotwire I was happy but if I would have paid full price I would have been upset because of the clientele that was there.

Check in was smooth and very easy. This was my first time using hotwire so I was a little nervous about how it would go; we had no problem at all. When we arrived in the rooms they were very clean and we had a room facing the CN Tower and the pool. The beds were comfortable and rooms were a nice size. As we were traveling with someone in a wheelchair and another person with down syndrome this was appreciated to have such a nice view so that if we didn’t get out as much it was just nice staying in. There was a small hole in the wall which we called about and they offered to switch rooms however we had the only adjoining rooms left so we told them we were fine we just wanted to make them aware of it so we didn’t get charged. The showers in the room are POWERFUL! I also really liked the toiletries; they were Crabtree and Evelyn, and the smell was very refreshing (I still have to visit our local shop to buy some).

I didn’t like that you were charged for local calls, I thought that was unusual. It did seem like everything was extra (internet connection, phone call, etc).

We ate at the Ruth Chris’ Steakhouse for dinner, that was outstanding, but pricey which I knew it was going to be. It did serve for a memorable meal since we were celebrating a special occasion. We ate at the Tundra for breakfast, and the food was outstanding there too. The fruit was especially fresh and everything was very tasty.

The location of the hotel was convenient. I do recommend trying to find parking elsewhere if you can. Since we had someone in a wheelchair I didn’t have a problem with $30.00 a night for the parking, but there are plenty of other places that offer parking much cheaper. The pool area was adequate, half of the pool was outside and half inside which I thought was great!! The workout area was very small, but we didn’t really use it.

Our only big grip was the clientele that the Hilton had that weekend. On Friday we were next to a room full of young college kids that were partying, (they calmed down after the second time someone came up). Then on Saturday night some 30-40 year old men came up drunk and knocking on all the doors at 3 am. Sunday morning was really weird when there was a lady in the hot tub who was facing the jets and moving her breast around to have the jets target them, then she started positioning her legs as well. Luckily enough it was early and just myself and my sister-in-law (who has down syndrome) there, but we quickly left and went into the pool to give her some “privacy”. My sister-in-law didn’t notice and there weren’t any children around but I wouldn’t have expected that type of clientele from people staying at the Hilton.

Its hard to fault a hotel for the people that stayed there because it could have been just a one time thing, however I would probably try to find a different place to stay next time so I have some place else in Toronto to compare it to (is it just the people that go to Toronto, or is it the Hilton??) Although I’ve never had this type of problems with the clientele in other places I’ve visited.

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — The Clientele
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Orchard Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

My wife and I were only staying for one night so this hotel was perfect for us. It was easy to get to off of the QEW. Self parking was right under the bldg.

Checking in was very smooth and they had four front desk people on duty. We did not eat at any of the hotel's restaurants but they had a Ruth Chris steakhouse, a place to grab drinks and another place to have breakfast. The room was nice, had a mini bar, desk and internet access. The pool was nice and had a outside bar.

We were going to a Blue Jays game and the hotel was within walking distance to the Rogers Center and walking distance to shopping and places to go out after the game. Did not need to take a cab the day we were there.

Stayed August 2007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

No mistaking, this is a quality hotel. Great views. Nice location. Front door staff, Bell service, and check-in was efficient.

My Hotwire room was upgraded to one on the executive floors. Very stylish room. As you can see in photos by others, modern furniture includes a comfy chaise lounge. My king bed was fabulously comfy. Bathroom towels were thick; rubber ducky is a really nice touch.

The indoor/outdoor pool was okay, but that's were I prefer the Sheraton Ctr (just a block away). The Hilton pool is not nearly as large. Both the pool and Fitness Ctr (2nd floor) close by 11pm. The Fitness Ctr was underwhelming: only 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, an out-of-order weight machine. There are 3 stationery lifecycles; various free weights. One tv; no fans, no music.

Parking is pricey - as you'd expect in downtown Toronto. Green P at City Hall would be a cheaper alternative.

My one tick-off: they upgraded me to executive, but didn't initially tell me to ignore the in-room letter stating local, toll-free calls, internet, and breakfast are all complimentary. However, when I called about a $9.95 internet charge, an agent reversed it (after some discussion;t the check in agent didn't explain I was even being upgraded).

I did sneak into the executive lounge just to have a look. Can't beat the 32nd floor view.

• Liked — Modern room
  • Disliked — Fitness ctr: lose some of mirrors, get more treadmills, open it 24 hours
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
carmel, ca.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

I stayed at the Hilton Toronto as it was the site for a conference I was attending. We booked rooms on the Club Floor in order to be able to use the conference room for meetings. The second night of our stay a large group checked in for another conference being held at the hotel. A group of 30-40 individuals, men and their wives, met in the Club Floor Lounge for cocktails which are served free of charge by the Hilton for their Club Lounge guests. This group proceeded to get so drunk and disorderly that all other guests ended up leaving the room or moving their chairs over to the far side of the lounge to be away from the yelling and profanities. The Club Floor concierage just sat there although many guests requested that she either get the drunken group to quiet down or, if unable to do so herself, notify the manager. As a woman who travels frequently on business I choose to stay at facilities which create a comfortable atmosphere for all guests. This experience left with me with a sense of such disrespect for the Hilton Organization that I have discontinued involvment in the Hilton Honors Program and plan to avoid their hotels in the future

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Drunken and disorderly guests in the Club Lounge Area.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

We, a family of four, stayed in this hotel for one night before heading to the Niagara Falls. Since we have a diamond card, we could stay on the executive level. I have to say that the room was huge, the bathroom was a little small in comparison, but had everything you'd expect (including a little bathduck!). Breakfast in the executive lounge was good, the decoration beautiful. Its one of the most peaceful lounges we've been in, plus you had an amazing view over the city on one side and over the Cn tower and the lake on the other side. the hotel is in a perfect location which allowed us to see a little bit of the city even though we had only an afternoon. I can further say that the hotel restaurant (the name slipped my mind) was very good. For 35 CAD we had a three course menu which was very tasty! I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — the decoration of the hotel and the views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

This is a fairly typical Hilton city hotel but in a very good Downtown location. Taxi from the International Airport was Can$46 and took about 30 minutes. Check in was smooth and we were soon in our standard room on the 14th floor. We were tired after the flight from Scotland and headed straight to bed. Next morning we had a closer look at the room and decided it was not as nice as we had hoped for. The carpet was dirty and the decor was as tired as we had been the previous night. A visit to reception was called for and after some apologies we were given a recently refurbished room on the 26th floor. Layout was exactly the same but cleanliness was much improved as was the bathroom. Actually there was no bath and instead we had the most incredible power shower. As we were room only we cannot comment on the restaurant or bar. We did use the pool most afternoons though and found it adequate. Nothing fancy but very busy especially at the weekend. There is a small bar at the pool area where drinks can be purchased in plastic glasses and at expensive prices.
Restaurants are plentifull near the hotel and we liked the Entertainment area of Toronto which was only a few hundred yards away from the hotel. Many choices and styles to be found there. Breakfast was also close at hand and we recommend the Sunset Grill 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Turn right outside the main entrance and head towards Yonge Street. It's on the right hand side and the portions are the same as all the restaurants we tried, enormous and tasty with freeflow coffee.
All in all we had a great time in Toronto but found the hotel to be of a lower standard than we expected and certainly lower than Hilton's UK city centre hotels.

• Liked — Location was great for the Downtown area
  • Disliked — Accommodation standards were not as good as we expected from Hilton.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Toronto? Share your experiences!