“No complaints about the Westin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Nanaimo, Canada
“No complaints about the Westin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2006

Location: Not an easy walk for someone working or visiting the downtown of Toronto, but it is nestled against the lake. It is just off of the Queen's Quay area where there are plenty of restaurants and the theatres. If you want to see the CN tower and other downtown sites though you will have to put on some good walking shoes for the 20 minute walk or grab a taxi.

The staff at this hotel are very friendly and accomodating. Check in was quick and easy and the check out process is even easier (by phone for fast check out, or just a quick stop at the desk).

The gym is a fantastic one for a hotel. It had plenty of equipment both for cardio and for weights. It had tv's in front of all of the cardio equipment and they provide head sets for the tv's, along with towels and water.

The rooms are very comfortable, but a little outdated. My biggest complaint was the loud squealing noise outside of my room. I couldn't really hear it in my room - it sounded more like a quiet wind whistle. But, when I went outside it sounded like someone was drilling and never stopping. I am not sure if that had anything to do with the plumbing emergency they had that caused them to shut the water down for 4 hours during my stay or not.

Room service was good, and reasonable for a Toronto hotel. The food was good quality and they accomodated special requests.

Overall, it's not a bad bet for a visit to Toronto, but I can't say it's the best hotel in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Korean first
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2006

This review might come a bit late but maybe it will still be helpful for some who read it. I spent Christmas and New Year's 2004/05 at the Westin Harbour Castle.

It started out that after a long flight (2 hours more than originally expected) in horrible weather from Frankfurt to Toronto, my luggage had been left behind. When arriving at the hotel (at around midnight) it took a while until one of the receptionist finally had the energy to arrange my check-in. I asked whether they had some "emergency gear", e.g. a t-shirt or similar since my luggage would only arrive the next day. No effort was made at all to make me feel comfortable. I did, however, get a very nice room on one of the higher floors, facing the lake. As in most of the Starwood properties, the bed was heavenly. I finally got my luggage late the next day and did enjoy my stay. The concierge did not seem to be very familiar with the area so I ended up walking forever in the freezing cold.

Overall, its a nice hotel if they start working on improving the service. The location is not very central but it's fine, considering that the hotel runs a shuttle bus to various places in Toronto.

• Liked — The view and the bed
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to get a flight that arrives during daytime hours
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2006

I recently stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle on a business trip. The room was more than adequate for my purpose. The location is perfect for anyone whose trip requires them to be situated in the downtown core. It is conveniently located close to business, shopping, restaurants, theatres, the train station and the Island Airport. I was assigned one of the upgraded rooms that included a large, LCD television. Rooms also include their famous ‘Heavenly Beds’ and fluffy, duvets. If I had one complaint it would be that despite the above average rate you pay to stay at the Westin, minor conveniences such as phone calls and high-speed access are extra.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Paying for minor extras. (i.e., high-speed)
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

Westin was a great hotel. Located right on the harbour front, we had a room that overlooked the lake. It was very nice and clean. Also walking distance to CN tower and the ferry to the islands goes straight from the bottom of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2006
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

I checked into the hotel on Canada Day, a day where there was a lot of activity outside of the hotel. I thought the hotel seemed a little loud - I could hear people in the room next to me, in the hallways, and I heard a dog barking. I could also hear the fireworks outside... not a nusiance but I was very tired from my flight. I was settling in to my bed and heard an announcement over the loudspeaker that there was an emergency in the hotel and to not leave my room. This announcement came on several more times and finally a few hours later and well into the night I called the front reception to find out what was going on since I was frightened and tired. I was told basic information and only found out what happened the next day in the news. Regardless, the point of the story is that the hotel NEVER told me that it was safe to leave my room or ever even acknowledged what happend or tried to compensate me in any way. I did leave a detailed comment card - still no reply from Westin or Starwood. I am sure if I complained or told them that I would have changed hotels that they would have reacted differently but I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Otherwise, I had a great view, an older room that needed some ductwork fixed up, liked the apples at the reception, the main part of the hotel needs sprucing up, the gym was excellent for a hotel, but I would be reluctant to stay there again. I also agree with other posters that the area is not ideal for walking to nearby shops or dining.

• Liked — the gym and apples
  • Disliked — Unresponsive staff... security?
  • Tips/Secrets — Unless you need the water view, stay downtown.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

Booked thru Priceline. Got a great rate. Location is spectacular
in the summer months, but separated from the action in the winter. Got a very nice room in the South tower with a wonderful
view of the lake. Room was clean and larger than a typical room.
Staff at check-in were courteous and helpful.
We love to walk so the location is not a concern. Reasonable
parking is available 100 yards to the east at an each day rate of $8.00.

• Liked — lake view
  • Stayed November 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

I booked my hotel on Priceline with the 'Name your own price' option - which is how I got an amazing rate on a pretty great hotel.

The hotel itself is beautiful - I had a corner room, so I had a gorgeous view of both the city and the water!

The only bad point is the hotel's location. Parking is incredibly expensive, but the cheaper option is to park at an outdoor lot 5 min away - unfortunately, the area is very industrial and not very people-friendly. there is a major highway next to the hotel. the hotel is pretty far from all the happenings in the city (you cannot leave your hotel to go for a stroll - there is nowhere to walk outside!)

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The location
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy on Priceline!
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!