“Great view.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Miami Beach, Florida
“Great view.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

We spent five nights during July 2005, this is what we liked:
An outstanding view of the lake and city.
Great linens.
We were on the Preferred Guest floor and appreciate the complimentary daily bottle of Vittel water and daily newspaper including week ends.
Very nice concierges, an old gentleman and a young woman.
A pool to dip when really tired.
The first stop into town and the last going out of the Airexpress Bus /

What we did not like:

Lot of stairs to get to the lobby level from the street level.
Location was ok because it was SUmmer. It is a ten minutes walk to the Union Station. This short distance can be covered in a street car but you have to go down to take and we walked instead.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Korean first
Otego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

I stayed here 3 nites in late July w/ hubby and 2 teens. I booked through Priceline and got a great rate of $86/nite. This was for a corner room on the 22nd floor w/ views of both the city and lake. 2 double beds, non smoking. Very pretty decorations and furniture, but overall a bit on the small side. The beds truly are heavenly. Hubby never sleeps past 5am at home, and he didn't get up until after 8am! Loved all the pillows and down blankets. Overall, the location was good. Right next door to the HarbourCentre and outdoor International Market about 1 block down. About a 15-20 min walk to the Eaton Centre. (or a $7 cab ride) Staff was very nice and friendly.
Yes, the mini bar/snack basket is way too expensive but they usually are no matter where you stay. Parking was $30/day-ouch! But again, if you have ever stayed in Manhattan or LA, you expect this.
The only service problems we had were the concierge and housekeeping. First the concierge: took at least 15 rings before answering the phone, then put on hold for at least 10 mins. This happened EVERY time! I inquired about tickets for Blue Man Group and he said he couldn't help me. Just gave me the theatre phone number and told me to call them! What??? Isn't the whole point of his job to do this for me? (And there was a $2 surcharge for local calls to boot!) In addition, he directed us to an Italian restaurant that was out of business. Obviously not in tune with what's happening in town.
Second, housekeeping didn't make our room up until about 6pm the 1st day. They claimed we had out a DND sign on the door. The room didn't even have a DND sign! They finally came and made the beds while we went down to the pool, but didn't bring fresh towels, cups/glasses or coffee!! Had to call a 3rd time for this.
Lastly, the water temp in the shower sucked big time. Bursts of hot then cold. No way to keep an even temp. Not what I would expect from a 4 star.
Would probably stay again if I could get the nice low price.

• Stayed July 2005
Gaylord, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2005

After reading previous reviews I was a little worried after being booked at this hotel on Hotwire. We stayed July 5-9, and it was wonderful. We stayed with our 2 children. They each received a gift bag and we thought the pool area was great-lots of chairs and an area outside to play basketball (rooftop). Yes, there are a lot of amenities in the room that (if you choose) would cost out of this world, but we immediately put them out of our sight. We only ate in the bar (which they provided children's menu's happily), food was delicious. Would not recommend the restaurants, breakfast would have been 17.00 for a basic meal. Overall, would stay there again in the summer, maybe not winter, would want to be connected to the underground PATH.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

My husband and I recently spent a long weekend at the Westin Harbour Castle. We got a room in the south tower on the 31st floor. The room was decent sized, and included a couch/sitting area in addition to the standard furniture. The view was amazing, we were able to watch fire works over the bay from our room. The service at the Westin was OK, we were misdirected by a concierge when we were trying to find a restaurant. I was a little nervous about the location after reading some negative reviews here, but it was really only a 10 minute walk to the subway station and we didn't encounter any troubles. We found the location convenient, we left the car parked all weekend. The only real complaint I have is that the pool is way too small. We stopped by a few times to check out the pool, and every time it seemed to be teeming with people. We got a great deal on this hotel w/ Priceline ($70 US), I am not sure I would pay regular price to stay here. Overall though a decent hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

We were pleasantly surprised, after reading all the negative reviews. Service was very good; hotel restaurants were good, but expensive. Rooms were clean and cleaning staff were excellent. Concierge service was outstanding. Loved the "Heavenly beds"

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Mpls. MInnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Westin Harbour Castle because he attended a conference being held there. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The rooms were small, but clean. The view was beautiful and the beds as promised, heavenly! We ate breakfast at the Mezzin restaurant and it was very good. I would recommned this hotel!

If you visit the CN tower, make reservations and eat there. It is $20 just to go up and if you eat there the elevator up is free. We wish we had known this.

new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Spent 5 nights at th Westin which I found to be inferior to any of the other Westin properties I have booked. My main complaint is that this is considered a luxury hotel, but the property and the room were inferior. Rough towels, so little closet space that I needed to remove the ironing board to hang my clothing, beat up furniture, stains on the wall. Restaurant had the worst breakfast I ever ate...how do you ruin scrambled eggs?
It is located on the harbor, which is nice if you want to stay in the area. However, to walk to the central part of Toronto is at least 6 blocks, under a highway overpass, with a welcoming committee of homeless along the way.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!