“Warm, friendly, comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Doha, Qatar
“Warm, friendly, comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Within 5 mins walking distance from Union Station and located well within walking distance from all major attractions this vibrant hotel is a must for those coming into Toronto as a starting point or even for the longer stayers. The massive lobby is well vibrant offering a warm and comfy lounge with bar and restaurant facilities...a great meeting point or just a a place to lounge in preparation for any event or night out. Well priced, great food (the tomato soup is a must) and most of all warm inside when it's -28 outside!! Rooms well appointed although no shoe polish, only half a point taken off there. Other than fine, just fine.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1712, perfect bay views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerWestin, Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear KartikPurohit,
What a wonderful review – thank you for sharing it with fellow travelers.

I understand you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our location to explore downtown Toronto. I will make sure to share your comment about the lack of shoe polish with our team as a great suggestion for improvement.

I will look forward to your next visit.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed here over night for a short trip. This hotel is next to the convention center with what you can expect of a traditional convention hotel. There was no water in the room (spg platinum), no minibar. I did get free wi-fi, which is a plus.

The room itself is just like any other Westin, but I have the view of the lake. I am sure it could be a wonderful view in a nicer weather.

I didn't eat outside of the hotel but looks like there are many choices. The room service food was pretty good (even though they didn't get the order correctly, the quality of food is better than average).

The location is convenient, short cab ride to where I need to be. Would try this place again on a warmer weather.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManagerWestin, Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear TcyW,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Toronto, and for being a loyal SPG platinum guest of our hotel.

I appreciate you taking the time to share some thoughts on your stay. I am really sorry that there was no bottled water in your room – this is a mistake on our end and I will make sure that I follow-up properly with the team to avoid this in the future.
I would truly appreciate if you could email me your reservation number at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure everything is flawless.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.
Stratford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle on Saturday March 22. We stayed with our son's family as we went to see the Aquarium on Saturday night and then to Mickeys Road show on Sunday. The hotel stay was great as usual. Staff very friendly, rooms comfortable and location great. A Great Hotel! Only downfall was when coming home from the Aquarium, my wife and myself were holding our grandsons hand and she tripped on the construction material on the sidewalk and fell face first onto the cement on the sidewalk sustaining and a concussion, stitches and black eyes. Be very careful because there are construction hazards everywhere downtown. Hope that our next visit there on May 10 goes better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear tgropp,
Oh no! I am so sorry to read that your wife tripped while on your way from the aquarium and hurt herself. I hope she gets better quickly and recovers well from the concussion and stitches.

I appreciate you sharing your nice comments about your stay and I will look forward to welcoming your family back on May 10th, once your wife is better. Can you please kindly email me your reservation number at experienceteam@westin.com so that I can make sure our teams take good care of you?

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Excellent hotel, good bedrooms with nice views, a bit far from the metro, good restaurants (excellent one at 39th floor). The internet should be free if you consider the fares they charge, it´s expensive. The room service is expensive as well, if you consider all taxes, a ham and cheese sandwich with fries is about 30 usd.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view bedroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Cristina Brasileira,
Thank you kindly for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share some thoughts on your visit.

We truly appreciate your comments on our Internet connection. At Westin, we value feedback and realize how important it is for our guests to stay connected while they are on the road. This is why we are offering complimentary internet connection in the lobby and restaurants. Similarly, we are currently working on a new tier-pricing process that will offer all our guests 30 minute complimentary connection to check emails.

I trust you will be pleased with this and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

On my most recent visit of just 24 hours i was appalled....and I seriously mean APPALLED at the treatment I received at the reception.

At lunchtime I encountered a queue that stretched from the meagre little roped line all the way back to the bar at the far end of the lobby. Only 4 staff manned the desks with a 5th chap (parted black hair, disappointed I did not get his name as his behaviour was atrocious) just wandering around chatting with concierge staff and laughing even though he was reception staff (He checked me in the evening before). 2 of those staff worked the priority line which although never had more than 1 or 2 people in line, they never pulled form the much larger queue. I counted at least 55 people in front of me. Fortunately I gave up after 25 minutes (in which I only moved about half way down the line) and then decided to wait till later to do my business as my patience gave up.

However later that evening when I went to check out (at around 8pm) I was confronted by another line which although not as long was only being served by 1 receptionist again with TWO receptionists manning the priority line leaving the general line totally unattended. As I had time against me as I had to catch a flight I went straight up and requested more staff be brought out, the girl behind the counter claimed more would come but they never did....however the chap with the parting once again was malingering around and refusing to get behind a counter. Over 25 minutes later i was now late for my flight (Im flight crew), when I reached the point of check out I was told the delay was because all the staff had been sent on their breaks.

Appalling treatment. I can only assume this is a training hotel where standards are not a priority.

I have had to right a lengthy report to both Westin management and my company as the contract with this poor facility needs to be looked at.

I lament this facility and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Irishstandards,
I am really concerned by your review as this is unusual and most definitely not the level of service we are famous for at The Westin Harbour Castle.

Our hotel values its relationship with airline crews and we try our best to make the check-in and check-out experiences as quick as possible and arranged a dedicated line at front desk just for crews as we understand your need to check-in quickly after an exhausting trip.

I would like to discuss with you in further details and would appreciate if you could email me your contact information and your check-in date and time at experienceteam@westin.com
I am taking your comments very seriously and will be looking forward to connecting with you.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We booked the Westin because we were headed to a Leafs game and it is within walking distance. Upon arriving, there was a wait to get into the parking lot but we were not in a rush. We chose valet parking which was $45 dollars with in and out privileges. We did not want to park off site. We waited about 15 minutes to check in but Sean quickly made us forget about waiting. He was polite and very personable. Thanks Sean!! I had asked about an upgrade and he was able to move us to the 34th floor with no additional charge. The room was clean, spacious and had a great view. We had lunch in the lobby bar and in room breakfast the following day...both meals were delicious and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend the Westin!! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: High floor, away from elevator
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear rykmac,
What an amazing experience you are sharing here!

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your review. I will make sure to thank Sean for taking such great care of you: this is exactly how it should feel for all guests at Westin hotels: from the great and personal check-in to the quality in-room dining.

Our team will be looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel is nicely located by the waterfront and the room we were in had a good south eastern view. The hotel lobby is grand, but very busy. The staff could be a bit more attentive from the bell hops none of whom offered to take our luggage to our room -- I am not even sure there were any around. There was a very long and slow line at check-in, which should not be the case. We waited at least 15 minutes. The front desk seemed short by a couple of people. They should have been prepared for a crush on an early Friday evening.

The common areas appeared to be a bit worn, but generally clean. There could be some more upkeep.

Our room was nice, comfortable and clean. Would have been nice to have a couple of complimentary bathroom items, such as cotton balls and qtips. The one complimentary bathroom robe seemed a little dirty. There was a sticker in the bathroom advertising the ability to purchase (on loan) work out clothes which seemed a little tacky. The walls of the room were paper thin and we could hear everything from the room next door. Everything... 2 am... "Oh my gosh... oh my gosh...oh my gosh... !!"

We had an appointment at the spa and were underwhelmed with the massage. The spa is run separately from the hotel. Services need to be paid separately -- cannot be charged to the room.

The crowd at the hotel was very mixed. There was some college event being hosted at the hotel which attracted a young crowd which changes the vibe. It seems to be a popular hotel for those attending the hockey game and we saw a number of young couples with strollers.

The lobby bar seems to under pour the drink (at least by US standards). The amount of alcohol was definitely lighter than I would expect.

Overall, this is good hotel at its price point and for location. I am surprised it has a four star rating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear KCNY2000,
I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed our location on the waterfront.

You are correct: Westin hotels worldwide have a partnership with New Balance and developed a Gear Lending program. A lot of travelers are people who often pack light and do not carry a lot of bags to fit their running shoes and other workout gear. This is why they can simply ask our team to deliver the clothes and shoes in their size directly to their room, and don’t have to worry about cleaning or packing them again after. I am sorry that you were not explained all the details of this successful program.

I would really appreciate if you could email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure that everything is flawless and to give you a proper tour of all our facilities.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!