“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Calgary, Canada
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed here on multiple occasions for business.

Pros: As soon as you pull in to the hotel, the valet parking guys welcome you in. They definitely know how to be polite and be nice to the guests! As you walk into the hotel, you are usually surrounded by many people who are sitting down in the lobby and are socializing. This definitely gives it s a nice atmosphere. As you proceed to check in, the staff are very friendly and polite - quite hard to see them this way these days! One time, my work made a mistake and booked the hotel for me 1 day less than they were suppose to. The front deck had no problems extending my stay 1 more night with the same rate - this never happens anywhere else ... they always charge you much more than your discount rate
Rooms are quite spacious and there is a very good feel to them. Beds are very comfortable!

Cons: Hallways have an old feel to them. During my last stay, I received an allergic reaction to something that they wash their sheets with. When I asked them to provide me with a list of chemical that they use to wash the sheets with, I was never provided with one. While iron and iron board are present in the room, they are not of good quality.
Hotel is right on the harbour, which is very nice if you want to go for a run down the lake and avoid all the traffic lights if you run in the city. However, it is away from the city center, so you have to cab it if you want to go to the city center. If you are working out of town, it is right next to the major highway, so you can easily get on it and avoid the horrible city traffic!

OVERALL: This is my favourite hotel in Toronto (and I have stayed at about 10 of them). However, I am unable to stay here in the future because of the allergic reaction issue.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear CAN_Businessman
Thank you kindly for being a loyal guest and for sharing your great review.

I am pleased to read that you always enjoy your stays and your interactions with our team. However, I am really sorry to hear about the allergic reaction you had. Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com as I would like to personally apologize and to send you the document you asked for.

I will look forward to your email and once again, I thank you for your kind recommendation.
Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Korean first
Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was my first time traveling to Toronto and I was very pleased with the Westin hotel. Our room was clean and spacious. The hotel is in an excellent location. Within walking distance to the Air Canada Centre and the Hockey Hall of fame. The staff and service went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. I would most definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lauren H,
I am really happy to read that your first visit to Toronto was a success. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your kind review.

I will make sure to thank the team for taking such great care of you.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon. Should you need any local tip before your next visit, don’t hesitate to ask us at experienceteam@westin.com

Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Harbor Castle used to be a great hotel..now it has gone a bit downhill...our room was not very clean..the bathroom needed a good cleaning starting with the light switch and most everything else..lots of dust and dirt which is not acceptable for a hotel of this calibre..the rest of the hotel was ok for the most part but the rooms need a lot of attention and some Mr. Clean.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Backmannnnn,
I agree with you: this is not acceptable for a hotel like ours, and this is most definitely not the standard of quality we are proud of.

I thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts on your recent visit and will follow-up immediately with our Director of Housekeeping.

At Westin, we pride ourselves on our cleanliness as I suspect you saw throughout the rest of the hotel and during your other stays, and I am concerned by the disappointing experience you had. Please reach out to me personally at experienceteam@westin.com with your check-in date and confirmation number. I will investigate what fell through in the cleaning process of your room and ensure it won’t happen again. I will look forward to your email and to the opportunity to apologize personally for your last stay.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just flew in 10 hours after staying at the Sheraton Princess in Waikiki which was way less than expected as quite frankly was the Maui Hyatt. The Harbour Castle is a pleasant surprise. Have not stayed here in years. The check in area was brisk, efficient and moved checking in guests fast. My suite overlooking Lake Ontario is fabulous. All clean and the staff have all been caring and proactive.

Perfect downtown location and there seems to be a lot of construction around this area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear canadian175
WOW, what a wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay that much after 10 long hours of flight.
We hope you managed to rest well and that we’ll have the pleasure to welcome you back soon on your next visit to Toronto.

New Castle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were treated very well at this hotel. The bar service was prompt and the drinks were good with particular good service from Patrick. The rooms were comfortable enough with good beds, but showing a little wear. Since there is an in house convention center this is understandable. The parking is $45 per night if you opt for valet, so be warned. Breakfast was good if a bit pricey as well but there is a Deli across the street with good reasonable food. The view of the harbor was great but if you want to sleep in, know that the ferry horn will sound loudly on the hour. Cabs can be difficult to get at the lobby entrance at popular times, so better to go down to street level.

Room Tip: If you opt for harbor view, the sun can be intense.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Charlene T,
It was a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel and I thank you for sharing your kind review.

I am pleased to know that you managed to sleep well in the Westin Heavenly bed and apologize that you were not provided with alternative parking options – though all parking spaces are very similarly priced on the waterfront area.

I would love for you to email me at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure your next stay is flawless.
I will look forward to welcoming you back!

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very little valet parking, (said $40 a day, but it's really $45). No robes in the room. Bathroom is very old. Lounge has absolutely NO atmosphere. A little music or something would be nice. BORING. Pool needs attention and cleanliness would be nice in the change rooms.
Beds are comfy, but small when sharing. NO FREE INTERNET SERVICE FOR A SO CALLED HIGH END HOTEL!!!! come on now.
Loved the lotions and shampoo. Hairdryer should be installed into the wall....and best for last. The toilet paper roll is WAYYYYY too far from the toilet... just saying. Had to be a guy who installed those for sure.
Thanks but next time I'll stick with the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner alcove. Even though you only have one neighbour, you have an additional door to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ClaudieOttawa_Canada,
First of all, thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing some thoughts on your visit.

All your comments are very concerning as what you describe is most definitely not what our hotel is famous for.
Our valet parking is indeed priced at $45 a day as advertized on our website at westintoronto dot com under the parking tab.

We do offer complimentary internet connection in our lobby and restaurants and are currently working on a new tier-pricing process that will offer a 30-minute complimentary connection to check emails from the rooms as we understand that our valued guests’ need to be connected.

We recently renovated our lobby and public space and the feedback we had so far is only positive, so I am very surprised to read that you do not enjoy the new atmosphere. I would love to hear some of your suggestions for future improvements.

Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com ?
I will look forward to your email and to the opportunity to discuss your review in further details.
Orangeville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed one night near the end of October. We are a family of 4 and had a room on the 7th floor with two beds. We had booked a city view room but asked if there was a lake view available upon check-in and the front desk clerk was very accomodating and said there was.

The room was fine and had everything you would expect. We all had things to do so we dropped our bag and went out. When we returned after dark we started noticing the dirt/grime on the walls and fixtures. The sheets and bathroom were clean. But the extra cleaning had not been done in quite some time. The dirt on the glass of the pictures, the dust on the black picture frames and top of switch plates was hard not to see and even spills runing down the walls and dark finger prints near the ceiling over the television were a bit unsettling.

I did fill out the survey sent by SPG and I was sent an e-mail informing me these issues were being looked into. For one night it was fine, but nobody likes to lay in bed and wonder just what went on in the room before them by the marks left behind by past guests.

The children loved the pool and the location is good and we could walk to the new Ripley's aquarium and to all the restaurants on Front Street. We didn't eat in the hotel as we found the prices a bit too high for our budget.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2plus2-9,

Thank you to you and your family for staying with us recently. I am pleased you were upgraded to a nice lake view room and that your family managed to rest well in it.

I truly appreciate you filling in our SPG survey and spoke to our Operation Teams who replied to your comments.
This is great to hear that you took advantage of our location to walk to the new aquarium and I am sure your family truly had a fantastic time in Toronto’s newest attraction!

We would love to welcome you back on your next visit to Toronto, so please don’t hesitate to email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com prior to checking-in so that I can make sure the 4 of you are well taken care of. On our website, we have a great family package including accommodation, breakfast for 4 and parking that I am convinced you will find very reasonably priced!

We look forward to seeing you soon!
Edwin Frizzell

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!