“Other than the Queen's Quay construction, had a nice stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

Save Saved
You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join SPG to save 5% more
Ranked #32 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Kingston, Canada
“Other than the Queen's Quay construction, had a nice stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Nice hotel, but our room smelled very musty like air freshener trying to cover up carpet smell. There was a heat wave, but the room itself was at a nice temperature so that's not what caused the smell. It was really noticable when entering our room but we got used to it. Other than that the room was lovely-great view. Cleaning staff was fantastic, pool was not full of chlorine. Construction outside the hotel made getting to it very difficult and frustrating (Queen's Quay was down to one way only so we couldn't get to the entrance from the west, had to go all the way around and come back from the east-in rush hour, took 40 minutes when we were 1/2 block from the entrance coming the other way), which resulted in us parking the vehicle and spending a small fortune on taxis so we wouldn't have to deal with it (we were in and out a lot setting up for a family member's wedding in High Park). Obviously not the hotel's fault but it is something to make note of until construction is finished. Store had lots in it. Didn't check out any restaurants but the Starbucks coffee bar was handy (I walked down to the actual Starbucks down the street as at first glance the menu was not a full menu and the line was long). Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any rooms that don't overlook the water, but I would always make s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Lisa,

What you mention about the smell in your room is very concerning as this is most definitely not the quality standard at Westin hotels. I would love to discuss with you to understand if you brought this comment to the attention of any of our team members and if they already investigated.

I sincerely apologize for that inconvenience but am pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and had a great time at the wedding.

I will look forward to your next visit. Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me at experienceteam@westin.com

1,930 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Korean first
Bideford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is nothing to look at but is situated perfectly to explore Toronto , the rooms are spacious and comfortable , although depending on which room you have ,the view is great to poor as there is a lot of construction work going on in the area , the ferry terminal is close by , the main shopping street is 10 minute walk away as is the CN tower which is also close , the hotel has great facilities , the gym is good , the pool is both good for adults and children it even has a little play ground for toddlers , very family friendly , hotel staff are very friendly , all in all a nice hotel

• Stayed July 2013
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Dar G,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that your most recent visit was a success and that you thoroughly enjoyed our location and amenities.

I look forward to welcoming you back. Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at experienceteam@westin.com

Sudbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last summer. First the positives as our stay wasn't horrible! The hotel is in a fantastic location and the staff were very friendly during our stay. The breakfast buffet was outstanding! I was surprised that our room was not as clean as one would expect from a Westin Hotel but this did not hamper our stay. After check out we had arranged for our luggage to be stored while we enjoyed Toronto before our train departed. When we picked it up, many of our personal items were destroyed as someone from the bell desk had dropped cola all over them. Souvenirs from places we had visited all over Toronto were ruined. It was a disaster and my kids were crying in the lobby about their items. We had to catch our train and obviously did not have time to get new souvenirs. My son was especially devastated that his dinosaur book from the ROM was damaged. He was looking forward to sharing this with his classmates. The manager was trying her best to accommodate us and did comp us a night of our stay, which was very much appreciated. But she also made a promise to my son to have a staff member go and get another book and mail it to us. She offered to replace other souvenirs but we said it was not necessary, but as it was the book that meant the most to him, replacing it really pleased us. Unfortunately the book never arrived. My son was very hurt and upset and visited the mailbox often, only to be disappointed. Westin dropped the ball on this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Lunabella76,

Oh no! I am so sorry that the dinosaur book never arrived. I have followed-up with our team to know what happened and I apologize for the delay.

As promised, we are replacing the book and it was couriered out yesterday.

I thank you for sharing this story with me and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Our teams pride themselves in exceeding our guests’ expectations and I can easily understand how disappointed your son must have been.

Please look out for the book and should you need anything in the meantime, please kindly email me at experienceteam@westin.com

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We traveled to Toronto for a friend's wedding and stayed at the Harbour Castle on the "second night use your birth date" promotion. We were not impressed with the check-in. There seemed to be too few desk personnel. I told the agent when we finally got up to her and she immediately apologized and offered us free valet parking. The rest of our stay was very nice. We really found all staff very friendly. We had a wonderful view of the waterfront from our room, which was very clean. We would certainly stay at the Harbour Castle again. All was great until after we checked out and a few days later I discovered that they in fact did charge me for the valet parking. After I called them they straightened the problem right away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear dadofjessie,

I apologize for the issue with the parking refund but am pleased to read that our team took care of it right away for you.

Thank you kindly for staying with us while attending your friend’s wedding and for taking the time to share your review.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Orillia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Having stayed twice in the past year, once on business and most recently with my spouse for a weekend, and many times in prior years, the stays are always 5 star.
The property, the service, the location and the amenities nearby are top of the class for Toronto.
If you have a chance, get out and walk to Harbourfront, the scenery and ambience are fantastic.
Lots of restaurants and pubs to choose from.
Enjoy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear hockeyfamily9,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your home away from home.
It is always a pleasure to welcome you and I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind review. This is exactly how it should feel for all our guests.

I look forward to your next visit, and should you need anything in the meantime, please email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Westin Harbour Castle has a few things going for it:
1) Location! The hotel is located right on the harbour, so if you're planning to spend a lot of time along the lake, this is a great spot for you.
2) Fitness: they take it seriously at Westin. They offer workout sneakers and clothes for the duration of your stay, and their fitness facility is huge compared to other chain hotels (Marriott, Hilton).
3) Service: I booked an extended stay (11 days), and I received a couple different welcome packets from a Guest Experience manager. Nothing too fancy, but a nice touch that stood out to me.
4) Lobby bar: they serve free bar peanuts/spicy nuts. It's a minor thing, but I found myself ordering an extra round to chat with the bartenders while I finished my free snack.

Now, the run of the mill stuff...
1) Food: not the best, not the worst. You'll want to explore Toronto's food scene instead of relying on room service each night.
2) Housekeeping: I signed up for their "Go Green" initiative (can't think of the name) which basically meant that I would only receive housekeeping three times during my 11 day stay. I didn't get my last round of housekeeping, and had to call a few times to get my towels and coffee refilled. This is a voluntary initiative, and I admire their effort to conserve, I would just recommend not doing it if you're staying for more than 3-4 nights, as it gets messy. But that's just me. This leads to my last point...
3) This place is HUGE. Lots of rooms means lots of people, which meant for me bus loads of kids in town for school trips. Sounds like I'm being a downer, but I honestly waited 20 min. for an elevator while 25 children crammed in and out. Tough go of it if you're there with your boss, trying to chat/plan dinner.

Overall - I really liked this place. I admired their effort to reach out to me to optimize my experience, and I loved my view/location. The "green" initiative is also admirable, probably harder to manage with so many rooms.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor, the view is fantastic!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dom_from_CLE,

Thank you kindly for sharing your review and bringing your comments for improvement to my attention.

First of all, I am pleased that you enjoyed our location and took advantage of it to explore Toronto. I will thank the team for taking good care of you and sending you some nice amenities during your long stay to make you feel at home.

Now, I apologize for the not-so-flawless execution of our Make a Green Choice Program. I will reach out to our Director of Housekeeping to ensure it is better managed in the future and avoid similar issues.

I would really appreciate if you could email me prior to your next visit (at experienceteam@westin.com) so that I can make sure the team is ready for your arrival and to ensure we take extra good care of you
See you soon and thank you again kindly for taking the time to review your recent visit.

redbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

On arrival the check in was fast and very friendly. The room was spacious, clean with a great view of the lake. Comfy bed & no problem with the air con. Coffee maker with Starbucks coffee.
Ice machine available on the floor in a separate room was much appreciated.
Agree there is a lot of construction going on in front of the hotel which made getting in and out of the hotel a challenge but hardly the fault of the hotel.
Its a 30 minute walk to the Eaton Centre or for just 3 dollars a number 6 bus from round the corner will get you there. A very good service.
A very pleasant walk along the waterfront just around the corner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear romford99,

I am pleased to know that our team exceeded your expectations during your recent visit and that you slept well in the Westin Heavenly Bed.

Thank you for sharing your kind review. I will look forward to your next stay and should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at experienceteam@westin.com

Edwin Frizzell

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!