“Beautiful facility - a little nickel and dime” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful facility - a little nickel and dime”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

A truly first class property in the heart of downtown Toronto with very reasonable nightly rates, especially for conference guests BUT you will pay extra at each opportunity. Valet parking is the only reasonable alternative. A pint in the lobby bar will cost you $10.15 and Internet access is not complimentary. Great fitness facility!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Brett R,

I always enjoy reading feedback from our valued guests.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our Westin Workout Fitness studio and will most definitely share your comment on pricing of pints with our Director of Food and Beverage.
As for the internet access, I am pleased to let you know that due to feedback like yours that we received, we decided to increase our connectivity and update our pricing structure in order to meet the growing demand. We will be launching it soon and I trust you will be pleased with it.

I look forward to welcoming you again and I thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review online.
Warmly,
Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Korean first
West Midlands, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel is situated a few blocks away from the centre of Toronto along the waterfront and provides scenic panoramic views. A fundamental design flaw is that the entrance to the hotel is situated some 40ft above ground level, meaning a long walk up an outside staircase or if you have luggage, a long hike up the ramp which small vehicles use to drive to the entrance. Once inside it became clear that the interior did not match the exterior, in that there has been a substantial modernisation with chic decor with a minimalist feel. This refurbishment does not include the elevators which look very tired and old fashioned, but as I wasn't sleeping in the elevator I'll let that one go!

My room was clean and the bathroom was fresh, with a powerful rain shower and a large illuminated beauty mirror. The hairdryer is not attached to the wall which is a welcome bonus these days and there are various different towel sizes for you to utilise. The largest towels could do with being a little larger, but that's just my opinion.

The room was quite dark as the furniture is dark wood, the carpet is dark brown and the lighting isn't too good. Energy saving light bulbs are in abundance here which is great for the environment but not so great for creating a relaxing mood. The bed was extremely comfortable with nice pillows and everything was crisp and very clean. My curtains were difficult to close but this was due to the fact that one of the pulling poles had been snapped off and hidden in the corner of the room behind the curtain, so I had to stand on the chair to open and close them! The television was large and the channel list was extensive. My room had a refrigerator and a coffee machine with complimentary Starbucks coffee.

I did visit reception around 10pm and joined a queue of people who all waited approximately 10-15 minutes for someone to come and assist us. There was one staff member present on the desk and despite various other members of staff walking past the reception desk in the lobby, nobody seemed to mind that there were guests waiting in line. Although irritating, it certainly did not ruin my experience. There is a nice indoor pool area and gym, but the one thing lacking was a coffee shop or cafe. There is a small counter which serves coffee and snacks but this closes at 11am which means for the rest of the day if you do not want to leave the hotel your options are to visit the gift shop and pick up a some snacks or order food from the lobby bar. There are a few shops opposite the hotel including a deli.

Sleep quality was excellent and although still tired and dated, the refurbishment has achieved something by way of modernisation. Definitely not up to the usual Westin standard around the world but maybe this will change in the future.

Room Tip: Two rooms in each corner of the hotel are accessed by one single door infront of both rooms meaning...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear ThatMrRobinson,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a comprehensive review and for staying with us recently.
I truly enjoyed reading your feedback and can assure you that I am taking your comments seriously.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Bed and Bath as well as the new feeling in our lobby.
I will follow-up with our engineering team regarding the lighting in the rooms to see if anything can be done to make it brighter while still being eco-friendly.

I apologize for the long wait at front desk in the evening and will discuss your comment with the team in order to avoid similar issues in the future.
I look forward to welcoming you back and would appreciate if you could email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure you are well taken care of.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I bought concert tickets in Toronto for my boyfriend as a Christmas gift and we decided together to stay at the Westin Harbour Castle - Not only because he gets a discount being an employee of the Westin Ottawa, but also because we trust the Westin brand. We also decided to arrive the day before the concert for a mini vacation. From the moment we got there we felt like we weren't important or even wanted there. When we were checking in my boyfriend asked for an upgrade that we were willing to pay a little extra for and the front desk agent didn't ask any questions but just basically gave us what he thought we wanted. He was also not passionate about his job - he wanted to check us in and move on, nothing special. When we got to the room, there was a beautiful view but we were very disappointed that we were actually downgraded in space. My boyfriend then took a shower and discovered that the drain was clogged, so we went to ask for a different room. We were being served by a different front desk agent, and when we explained the situation, he gave us the options for different rooms, but there was no apology or anything for the inconvenience. We tried out the lounge for lunch, but the waitress was not paying attention to us. In fact, I think the employee that treated us well was the man from service express that we bumped into going down the elevator. Very disappointed indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 9HaleySS,

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your review online.
I appreciate your feedback and discussed it with the team as it is most definitely not representative of our standards of quality at Westin.
Our Director of Operations would appreciate if you could email her at experienceteam@westin.com to discuss your review in further details.

We look forward to connecting with you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Let me start by saying that I seldom stay in large hotels - I prefer boutique hotel where the service is very personalized and attentive. So finding myself having to stay at a huge Westin property is pretty much my idea of a nightmare.

So, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised...no...make that delighted, by the experience I recently had at the Westin Harbour Castle.

Checkin: Quick, friendly and effiicient - they made changes without even being asked and just changed the room keys they'd just printed when I mentioned that I didn't want to be too close to an elevator and I ended up with a lovely corner room with great views.

The room: Standard large-hotel room. Nothing special or distinguishing, but very clean, comfortable and well laid-out. I was travelling with a friend and it was one of the few places that I could find with 2 double beds.

The beds: Very, very comfortable and appreciated the good quality linens.

The service: This is where the WHC shone - on three separate instances in the course of a weekend, the staff went over and above.

First: Sending up a lovely cheese board when the wine glasses I'd asked for (not, I should note, to consume wine that I'd purchased on the property) took 15 minutes and another phone call to the front desk to arrive. Nice.

Second: Jumping to action when I took a fall around the corner (not on their property...and I made that clear to them) that required a trip to the ER. Not only did they send up security in about 2 minutes after I called the front desk to enquire where the nearest ER was to clean up the gash on my chin, they paid for my taxi both to and from the hospital. Very nice.

Third: When I got back to my room, chin sore and painfully stitched up, there were two lovely bowls of berries for myself and my travelling companion with a hand-written note from security saying that they hoped that they would brighten my day. Really? Soooo nice!

So. Westin Harbour Castle, BRAVO! you have exceeded my expectations on customer care and incredible service. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear JuliasOttawa,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing such a comprehensive and amazing review!
I am truly pleased that you were 'delighted' by your recent visit at our hotel and I am happy that you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Beds as well as your interactions with all our associates.
I will thank our security team for the very personal service they provided you with and I do hope you are now totally recovered and that your chin is not painful anymore.

Thank you, once again, for sharing such a great review. We look forward to your next visit!
Warm regards,
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stay one night last weekend. Physical facilities were good, although we only used the room, as we were out of the building except to sleep. The actual highlight of our stay was the interaction with Juan on the front desk at check-in. Probably one of my best encounters with a hotel employee in over 40 years of travelling. Friendly, outgoing and helpful in the extreme! Two Thumbs up.

The only drawback of the whole weekend was the outrageous cost of parking anywhere in the downtown area. While the night in the hotel was priced fairly, the cost of parking at the hotel and elsewhere, was high enough to discourage any visitor from out of town that must travel by car. As an aside, the hotel should have noted on their web site that Queens Quay was torn up with construction and access to the hotel from the west is very confusing.

Room Tip: Get Juan on check-in!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John P,

It is always great to read that our valued guests make a personal connection with one of our associates.
Juan is a wonderful front desk associate and I will thank him for the very personal service he provided you with.

Thank you kindly for your feedback regarding the Queens Quay renovation. I will contact our webmaster and ask him to add this to our website quickly.

Stay well,
Alliston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Thanks to the wonderful staff Bin, Jeff, Angel our experience here although a very traumatic time was made relaxing and worry free
The rooms were exactly what we asked for ,as well as clean and spacious a great view
The care given to us and our family super exceded all
Thank you to everyone for having us at your fantastic hotel!!! Best in Toronto
We are back in April for follow up appointments and thanks to Angel we got the same
room at the same great rate!!! WOW

Room Tip: Room service could us some help especially the staff
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear KateNPhil,
What a great review - Thank you kindly for sharing it.

At Westin, our mission is to make sure that our valued guests leave us feeling better than when they arrived, and I am truly pleased that your recent stay was flawless.
I will thank Bin, Jeff, and Angel for taking such good care of you and your family.

Warmly,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Room was very clean, had a nice view, staff were very friendly. I didn't give it a five as I didn't get to experience any of the amenities such as the pool, or food (which I heard was questionable), or much other interaction with the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Traxor,

Thank you kindly for sharing your nice review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon so that you can fully experience all our facilities and services.

Be well,
Edwin Frizzell

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!