“stay elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Clarksville, Maryland
“stay elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Lots of hotels can have nice bedding and views but it is truly the staff and service that set apart one from the other. The westin fails on both. From the time we drove up to the entrance our experience was sub standard. we did not have a reservation and showed up on Easter Sunday after driving from Niagara Falls on our way to Quebec. I am a Starwoods Preferred Guest and am used to some level of preference and good service from Starwoods hotels although of late I have been deeply disappointed. The front desk person (I think his name was Juan) was simply rude. He seemed rushed and "bothered" we were there even though the lobby and reception area were empty except for us. Maybe he was upset he had to work on Easter??? So after I am grilled like a criminal for nearly 10 minutes because my maiden name is on my starwoods membership and my married name is on my drivers license he finally said "lets just get the reservation in". I spoke to him about getting a room that was "nice" with a nice view-asked if he had any upgrades which is standard for Starwoods properties to accommodate that request if they can.He said "oh yes a very nice room" handed us our keys and basically walked away-no word of where the elevators were, no ask if there was anything else he could do. NOTHING it was a "i'm done with you now move on". The room was awful. A dark closet sized space that literally my husband said had to be a Joke if this is what they consider a "very nice room". We had to go back down to the front desk (which is a pain when you have exhausted young children with you) and we spoke with someone who in turn moved us to what would be considered by anyone to be a nice room and they did provide us roll away beds for our children free of charge (woo hoo). We tried to order a movie and the TV didn't work--although it was rectified fairly quickly it was just one more thing on top of the initial impression. Anyway I know it wasn't the most expensive place but at $260/night I am sure that there are other places you can stay that are actually happy to have you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear curvyskiergrl21029,

Thank you kindly for sharing your feedback on your recent visit.
I am very surprised to read your comment about Juan's attitude at check-in. We usually only receive very positive comments on our front desk team which does an outstanding job at taking good care of our valued guests.

Because we failed to exceed your expectations and because your experience at check-in was not flawless, I would like to follow-up personally with you and discuss your review in further details. I would really appreciate if you emailed me at experienceteam@westin.com.

I look forward to connecting with you and discuss your recent family stay at our hotel.
Stay well,
Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Korean first
Wasaga Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Westin many times over the years. We were even fortunate enough to get the Chairmans Suite on one occasion, but those were different times. This time arouns we booked a Deluxe room for one night. Painless reservation system and quick confirmation via e-mail.
We had friends wanting to join us so they booked a room and requested side by side rooms if possible. The rooms ended up being 10 floors apart. I know stuff happens.
The hotel was noticebly busier and with so many people driving large suvs that do not fit underground parking was a mess.

All in all though it was wonderfu;

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bnlhenry,

Thank you to you and your wife for being such loyal guests at our hotel.
I am really sorry that our front desk team was not able to accommodate your request with the two rooms close to each other but pleased that you all had a wonderful night out in Toronto nonetheless.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon, and if there is anything you need in the meantime, please feel free to email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed in various city hotels on my travels and while Westin Harbour Castle is very well situated it left a little to be desired, as did Toronto overall. The buldings surrounding the hotel are half built. I can only assume that construction has halted on due to the recession. The staff in the hotel were helpful and friendly and the hotel lobby/bar are very nice as is the pool area, jacuzzi and spa. The rooms are quite nice but have no wow factor compared to other places I have stayed, the decor is average and our room seemed to consistently have a funny smell and rattling aircon (which we made a complaint about). This was fixed but came back, we were offered a room change which I felt was good customer service but we were happy to stay put as we were only there for three nights. The hotel is situated perfectly for anyone who wishes to go to the Air Canada center or generally view the sights of the city. One thing definitely worth noting is the beds, they are extremely comfortable as were the pillows, I had no trouble getting a good sleep here. Overall the hotel is a good hotel but not extraordinary.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Raymondo84,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing your very comprehensive review.
We take our valued guests' comments seriously as a way to constantly improve our services and I can assure you that I will follow-up with our engineering team regarding the noisy air-conditioning unit in your room to avoid similar issues in the future.

Toronto's waterfront is currently being revitalized in order to enhance everybody's experience. Construction should be done shortly and I trust you will be pleased with the result. We saw some pictures of what the area will look like once finished and it will be spectacular!

I am pleased to read that you managed to sleep well in the Westin Heavenly bed. I would really appreciate if you could email me prior to your next visit at experienceteam@westin.com so that I can make sure your next visit is flawless.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at the Westin recently for a company convention and I have to applaud the incredible service of Ludhmila at the front desk. Her positive and professional service made my time at the Westin a wonderfull experience. With employees like this, I have to rate The Harbour Castle Westin as a great place to spend your time in Toronto. Thank you Ludhmila!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear 476SK,

I always love to read stories of our guests interacting well with our associates and I am pleased to know that Ludhmila made such a great impact on your recent stay. I will make sure to thank her on your behalf for the instinctive service she provided you with.

Thank you for sharing this kind review and I look forward to your next visit.
All the best,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Spent 4 days in June. Room was excellent, great bed, chez long and bathroom was perfection. Staff very friendly and professional. Only gripe would be the air conditioning was a bit noisy, but as it was in the high 80's every day it was very necessary. Perfect location with rooms over-looking Lake Ontario and has the ferries to the islands behind it. The bar was well stocked with excellent service and the food was great. The gym and swimming pool were all you could ask for. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better for the view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear GeorgeB251,

'Classy and friendly' ... I like those words!
Thanks for taking the time to share such a great review. It is always nice to read that our guests enjoy their stay with us and I am looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,
Edwin Frizzelll
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as part of the Mirvish Theatre package. The room we booked was a King bed. Very comfortable mattress & pillow, clean room & bathroom...overall no complaints! There was also tea and coffee, but no coffee filter...oh well! Check in/out was fast & efficient. The only thing missing was wifi, which was only available in the front lobby. Would recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oogachaka,

I am delighted that you took advantage of our great package with Mirvish and enjoyed your night in the Westin Heavenly Bed!
As for your comment on wi-fi, I am pleased to let you know that we are currently increasing our connectivity in order to meet the growing demand as well as we are updating our pricing structure for internet connection and we will be launching it soon. I trust you will be pleased with it as wi-fi will be readily accessible throughout the whole hotel.

Thank you for sharing your kind review and I look forward to your next stay - the next Mirvish musical will be Les Mis!
Stay well,
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin Toronto....the room was clean and tidy.....all though a little tired.
when you work through the night blackout curtains and blinds are very important and this hotel on this occasion failed, curtains are small and shrunk...meaning light comes in during the day...I looked at room service, however $4.00 delivery and tax put me off,so I ventured out..my collegues did say the quality of the food wasnt good and wished they had not bothered....but in fairness the hotel is quiet and fairly central.....I would use this hotel again, just do not expect too much

Room Tip: venture out room service in not brilliant
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear ian h,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing your review.
Feedback is a gift and at Westin, we are taking our valued guests' comments seriously. It is due to feedback like yours that we can keep improving our services and I thank you for commenting on the curtains. I will have our engineering team investigate this.

Your comment regarding the food quality is really concerning me as we are very proud of our culinary team at the hotel. I have discussed your review with our Director of Food and Beverage and he would love to speak with you directly. Could you please email him at experienceteam@westin.com?

We look forward to hearing back from you and thank you once again for your review.
Edwin Frizzell

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!