“excellent service and great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

Save Saved
You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Mississauga, Canada
“excellent service and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here to see a band playing at the rogers center and it was also my girlfriends birthday. It was the perfect location and close enough of a distance to the rogers centre. There was ALOT going on in the hotel but we were never inconvenienced. Right as we checked-in we were welcomed by many smiling face, a young lady at the front desk by the name Rechelle helped us and offered to upgrade our room after i mentioned it was my girlfriend's birthday. She even sent up a special treat from the hotel to surprise my girlfriend. I will definitely stay here again, over all the weekend was 5/5. the rooms were clean and spacious too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Brian,

I am pleased that you and your girlfriend chose to stay with us on her birthday and took advantage of our location to attend a show nearby.
I thank you for sharing your kind review and nice comment about Rechelle. I will make sure to thank her for her personal service.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon,
Kind regards,

2,076 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Korean first
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle in early October, 2012. My business conference was a three day event ending on Friday, and I had booked a 6 night stay to enable my wife to join me for an extended weekend. I had reserved a king-size bed, in a smoke-free room, for the full 6 nights, and was assured via telephone that there would be no problem accommodating my extended stay. Upon check-in, I was informed that they only had me booked for 3 nights, and had no notes on the file indicating that I had requested an extended stay. However, they expected to be able to accommodate me for the additional 3 nights given most of my fellow conference attendees were leaving after the third night. Upon entering my room, I discovered that I had been assigned a room with two queen beds, a non-functioning lamp, and non-functioning TV service. I again spoke with the front desk and was moved to another room. The second room had not been made up prior to my entry, but did at least have a king-sized bed. Another conversation with the front desk about the state of the room, and housekeeping attended while I was out for dinner. On the third day, I went to the front desk to ensure I would either be moved to the proper room, or would finally get the cable service fixed in the current room. While waiting in line to speak with the front desk, I was approached by Ms. Jennifer Moon of the Westin Harbour Castle's "Guest Experience" department, and she asked if she could assist. Poor Ms. Moon received the full (but polite) blast of my 3 days' worth of frustration. However, and entirely to her credit, Ms. Moon did not shrink away nor direct me to another person; she took personal responsibility. Ms. Moon moved me to another room immediately, and gave truly sincere apologies for the entire experience. Unfortunately, the problems were not quite over yet. Even the new room had no cable TV. I telephoned down and informed Ms. Moon, and she attended the room within 5 minutes, and waited with my wife and me until a hotel maintenance man arrived. It was at this time that I finally was informed that the cable problems were occurring throughout the hotel as the cable provider had just changed its delivery system and glitches were being worked out. Ms. Moon made a call and moved us to a suite, 'comped' our upgrade, and arranged for the hotel to 'comp' our dinner that night at the revolving restaurant. Ms. Moon telephoned my wife and me each of the remaining two days of our stay just to make sure all remained to our satisfaction...which was the case. In the end, I felt my complaints were not only heard, but were 'owned' by Miss Moon on behalf of the Hotel. Her personal interest taken in this matter changed me from never wanting to stay at that hotel again, to actually recommending it to family. The Westin Harbour Castle has a true gem in Ms. Moon, and should utilize her to help train her fellow service providers. She did a truly outstanding job for us!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark C,

Thank you for staying with us during your conference.
I am truly sorry about the misunderstandings at check-in with your reservation and I will follow-up with the team in order to avoid similar issues in the future. This is certainly not how it should feel for our guests.

What you described about Ms. Moon's service is truly outstanding. She really takes pleasure in helping our guests and owning any issue arising.
I will personally thank her and am pleased to know that we have such a tremendous asset in our team.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your wife back,
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights at this hotel in February this year on our first trip to Toronto. The Reception staff were welcoming and our room on the 34th floor was spacious, clean and had everything you could wish for in a 4* hotel. The room was maintained to a high standard, the view was stunning and it was very quiet (apart from one night when our "neighbours" got a little rowdy...). The hotel was very handy for getting around Toronto, and particularly for getting to the Air Canada Centre (our main reason for visiting when we did) and all around the downtown area.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but found the staff in the bar area to be attentive and helpful, and there are plenty of places to eat nearby.
We found the price of wifi to be a little steep but it was free in the restaurants and lobby area so this wasn't too much of an issue for us.
Unfortunately the pool was out of action during our stay due to "vandalism" though the hotel management made alternative arrangements for anyone who wanted to use the pool which worked out fine for us. The only other downside I could find was the building work going on outside the front of the hotel meant that our boots and cases got covered in dirt and cement as we came and went, though of course this won't be ongoing.
Overall it was a lovely stay and somewhere we will happily stay again when we return to Toronto, only next time we'll come in the summer!!

Room Tip: The higher the better - for the view and peace and quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear R_we_there_yet_UK,

Thank you for staying with us during your Canadian trip and for taking the time to share your review online.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our facilities. I apologize that you could not make it to the swimming-pool because of the said vandalism.
I look forward to your visit this summer - you will enjoy the weather much more then than last February :)
All the best,
Uxbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was my first stay at the Harbour Castle. It was the location of a gala corporate event and several of us stayed at the hotel. The checkin experience was fast and professional and the room was outstanding. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. A particular treat was that the climate control worked flawlessly (this is one of my main complaints at hotels). All food prepared for the event was excellent, on par with the best five-star hotels. It's a bit expensive for my taste, but for a special stay, you won't go wrong.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lionroar,

Thank you for sharing your kind review. I will pass along your compliments to Chef

I am pleased to count you as a fan of the Westin Heavenly Beds and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon

Warmly,
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spent 8 nights at the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel in February. The hotel is classed as a 4*; however, it lacks a few things we would consider necessary to qualify for 4 stars: communal area appearance, service, facilities.

The Westin is well located in the downtown area, within walking distance of a number of attractions, including the CN Tower, the Toronto Islands Ferry Terminal, restaurants, and bars. Upon our arrival, around 10pm, there were no hotel porters to assist with the doors or our luggage.

The room we stayed in was spacious, clean, with 2 comfortable beds. During our stay, the room was attended to on a daily basis by a very pleasant maid; however, supplies were not forthcoming (tissues, soaps, conditioners, room tea, coffee etc) and we often ran out and had to ask for them. We did not eat at the hotel due to the expensive menu.

During our stay, the pool area was out of action for at least 5 days, due to vandalism. The locker rooms had no locks and the changing area offered little room and no privacy. We found this a turn off. The walls in the hotel are very thin and block out no noise. We could hear guests in the next room, coughing, talking, belching, and hear every word of their conversations. We also encountered noise in the hallways late at night and had to call for security at 3.15am one morning to remove the offenders.

The concierge were pleasant and helpful, and we booked an enjoyable trip to Niagara through them. Upon our check out, we used the lobby printer for our flight pre-boarding passes and encountered a staff member with a bad attitude, unwilling to assist in even pointing out directions.

Above all, the Westin is a pleasant, comfortable place to stay, but it is not cheap and the service and facilities leave some room for improvement. Based on our experience, we would class it a 3 - 3.5 * hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the south side have a wonderful view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear travelJFH,

Thank you for spending a week with us recently.
I am sorry to read that your stay wasn't flawless as it should have been and I appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.

Rather than addressing all your points in what would be a very long reply, I would really like to discuss with you in further details and apologize personally.
Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to connecting with you,
Milton Keynes,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in February. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Had a beautiful view overlooking the lake and CN tower from 32nd floor. Didn't try the restaurant but worth it just for the view. Its a great location for a visit to Toronto.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Louiseelana

This is such a great review and I thank you for sharing it.
I will make sure to thank our teams for the personal service they delivered.
We hope to welcome you back soon - maybe so that you can experience a nice dinner at Toula with our amazing panoramic views of the city and Lake Ontario.

Stay well,
Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I would avoid the restaurant, but stay at this hotel for the cleanliness and great location. We have stayed at this hotel several times and every time we eat at the restaurant we get the same two waiters with the same bad service; slow, does not check back with diners, not friendly. This last trip caused me to write this review. The prices on the menu are also very high. Lastly, heater was noisy and kept waking me up. Pool was also closed.

Room Tip: Request top floors (water side) as construction below could get noisy. Construction scheduled to co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dan B,

Thank you for sharing some feedback on your recent visit.
I apologize for the inconvenience due to the swimming-pool being closed. We had some vandalism and had to close the whole area in order to avoid injuries for our guests. This was out of our control and we had to close it.

As for what you describe at the restaurant, this is totally unacceptable and I thank you for bringing that issue to my attention. I would like to discuss with you in further details before meeting with the restaurant team and also to know which one of our restaurants you are referring to. Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to your email,
Warm regards,
Edwin Frizzell

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!