“Comfort and relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
“Comfort and relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went there and stayed for 3 days in summer. It was really nice, closed to everything. Especially the harbour, where you can go for the walk to downtown waterfront or take the trip to visit other islands.

I enjoyed the and pool. Wish it will open 24h , it will be great.

I would recommend to others. Good hotel. Breakfast otherwise was so so and over price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear friend from Montreal,

Nothing can beat our location on a nice summer day and I am delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay with us last summer.

We have just finished renovating our swimming-pool, so I am confident you would enjoy your next stay even more.
I hope to see you soon

Kind regards,
Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a wonderful 2-night stay at the Westin Harbour Castle at the beginning of January for a birthday. We couldn't find our way around the expansive lobby, and a Banquet Manager who happened to be walking through, helped us on our way (Thanks again Sarah you were very helpful and polite!). Based on her advice, we dined at the Mizzen and had a delicious breakfast buffet both days. Highly recommended!
When we got back to our room after dinner there was an unexpected bottle of wine waiting for us, courtesy of Sarah herself. Top star world-class service. Will definitely be heading back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jrad520,

This is an amazing review and I thank you kindly for sharing it.
I am delighted that your stay with us exceeded your expectations and I look forward to see you soon and to welcome you back next year for your birthday!

I will make sure to thank Sarah for her great service and her personal touch!
Stay well,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Spent one night at the Westin Harbour Castle for an anniversary with the intent on making the hotel the destination for a short getaway (rather than the city). As such, we were looking for a room that feels like a place to escape to, a hotel that was attentive and comfortable, and on-site restaurants that were worth spending our time and money at.

We had a deluxe corner room with a great view of the lake, harbour, and Toronto island - or at least it was as great a view as you can expect in the middle of a Toronto winter. The room was comfortable, with tasteful art and decor, and it certainly was enjoyable to relax in. It wasn't entirely what we were hoping for in terms of value for the price: the bathroom was nice, but not that classy; the tv was at a funny angle from the bed and too far, and the in-room movies were atrociously priced; and the overall feel of the room was just a couple steps above a decent, average hotel room. We were hoping for more of a "modest luxury" feel. The "heavenly" attribution to both the bed and the bath is a bit of hyperbole; the bed was comfy and the showerhead was nice, but it could have been a nicer bathroom. Still, we had a great stay in the room and enjoyed ourselves immensely, even if it took some time for the room to grow on us.

The service was average - this is a far larger and, as another review on here put it, "corporate" hotel than we expected. It's not for someone expecting a "boutique hotel" model of service. The check-in and check-out folks were great. It was a good way to start and end the stay. But we had service that was borderline unfriendly, condescending, and a little unprofessional at the two restaurants we ate at - the Toula and the Mizzen. At the Toula, despite a $150 bill and our own excitement about a nice, pretty-well-breaking-the-bank dinner out, a couple of the servers were informal and distracted. We were given a snide remark about the "winterlicious" special being over (we just asked if it was available) and talked down to when being told the specials (I don't need to have "prawn" defined for me like I'm a total rube). This feeling of being a stranger when we were hoping to feel welcomed was underscored at the Mizzen restaurant where we had the breakfast buffet in the morning, and were rushed and ignored. Ditto for the service folks. The room didn't have toothbrushes or toothpaste - a terrible omission from room amenities - so we had to call down a request. It was brought up without toothpaste and by a guy itching for a tip. Not a big deal, but still annoying that they wouldn't have assumed we've also forgotten our toothpaste. Similarly, there were no in-room instructions for the internet - which costs a little over $16 dollars per twenty-four hours(!) - so we had to call down and clarify the proper wifi network.

On the positive side, the Toula restaurant served a fantastic meal. I had a rack of lamb and my partner had one of the pasta options. We shared a salad and had a delicious tiramisu for desert. It's a great place to dine on the top floor of the hotel. The breakfast buffet, on the other hand, was a massive disappointment. It was way overpriced and offered a poor selection, average-at-best food quality, and was missing things that would be nice for a buffet that costs more than twenty dollars: (egg station? some hash browns maybe?).

Our overall impression was mixed. It did the trick for a nice night away from the grind of everyday life, but our enjoyment stemmed more from our own enjoyment of each other's company, making the best of what we ended up with during our stay, and persisting in getting what we could out of our experience. The hotel is a comfortable, but rather indifferent place to stay. I'm happy enough, but feeling a little shortchanged on value and service. Plus, we didn't get our breakfast buffet fix (my own informal barometer of a great hotel).

Room Tip: The online reservation system is glitchy. Clarify your desired room with a call to the hotel or at c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oletraveller,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your anniversary and for sharing your kind review.

Feedback is a gift and I was delighted to read your comprehensive comments. Because some of the things you mentioned concern me, I would really appreciate if you could please email me at experienceteam@westin.com in order to discuss with you in further details.

I look forward to connecting with you
Best regards,
Williamsville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a Jr corner suite #2719 nice room with 2 large windows with a beautiful water view! Room was very clean the only same complaint as previous reviews we paid $40 for valet parking self serve was 30 so pay the extra 10 and valet it. Rude awenibg when we decided to order room service for dessert we ordered a slice of cheesecake & a brownie (med sized) with ice cream and a glass of milk came to $41 I was SHOCKED it was good but it was more than valet for one night with having to pay $15 for Internet total bill $332. Not cheap but the bed is super comfortable view is beautiful just be prepared and hold back from ordering room service by the way the desserts were $11 on the menu milk $6. WOW but good. When we got here it was a SLOW wait to register that was my only downfall.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear BuffaloNYGirls,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
I am glad that you all enjoyed your stay with us, and will discuss your comments about room service with our Director of Food and Beverage at our next meeting.
I would love for you to email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure your next visit is flawless.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Online, the hotel looked very nice. It's not as nice in real life. My room wasn't particularly clean. It wasn't terrible, but the housekeeping didn't get a tip, either. It smelled old, and felt a bit grungy, and they didn't do much of a job cleaning it. The walls are also paper thin - I could hear every word said in the next room, almost literally. The staff was mostly friendly, the room service was good (not excellent), and the location was what kept me there. It was an average experience, and next time I'm in Toronto, I'll be finding a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Maria,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit.
At Westin, our mission is to ensure that you leave us better than when you arrived and I am sorry to read that your stay was disappointing.

I would really like to discuss with you in further detail and would appreciate if you could email me at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number I could reach you at.
I look forward to connecting with you,

Best regards,
Picton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Super location of this hotel, great view of the lake. We were only there for one night but I would have stayed more. Only minutes walk to the Air Canada Centre for a Leaf game(in which they beat the Senators!). Good buffet breakfast, pricey though. The rooms were clean, a little dated and need some TLC but I felt good about the cleanliness. Enjoyed two rooms attached by a hall that had a separate door so the kids were able to be right near us. Friendly staff. Parking prices steep but downtown Toronto to be expected. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try for lake view, very nice. We were high up as well so that was nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Chrissy B,

Thank you kindly for sharing your great review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us (as well as the Leaf game :) )

I hope to welcome you back soon with your family so that you can all experience all our services and amenities.
Stay well,
Edwin Frizzell,
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel is very nice and clean and the staff was friendly. My issue was, paying $30 per night to park over a block away! This is unacceptable in my eyes, especially in December when it's freezing and snowing. They also have valet parking for $40 per night, which is an insane price for one night!!! If I could do it over again, I would have just paid the extra $10 to have my vehicle closer to us and not have to do that walk with our luggage in the cold. If you're going to make people walk over a block in the cold, then the parking should be free. Very disappointed about that and that's why I gave this hotel a lower star rating. Also everything costs extra, a lot of hidden costs (fridge, etc)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Krystle W,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for posting your review.
I am sorry that you consider our parking fee unacceptable. We do conduct pricing reviews every quarter and feel that we are in line with prices in downtown Toronto and at a similar price point as other four star downtown hotels.

I understand your point though and am sorry that off site parking impacted the quality of your stay. I am glad though that you enjoyed our hotel, service and facilities.

Please feel free to email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure that all goes flawlessly
Thanks again for sharing your review
Edwin Frizzell

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!