“Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Waterloo, Canada
“Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We booked this hotel off the net and scored a discounted rate. Very clean, lots and lots of amenities. If you want to your Toronto, excellent location!! The only negative is the initial registration. Very hectic parking situation.

• Stayed November 2012
Eric A, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear TheProbst ,
Let me thank you for taking the time to share your great review.
The Westin Harbour Castle has many programs revolving around their amenities, including WestinWORKOUT, swimming pool and whirlpool with beautiful views looking out to Lake Ontario.

I would like to apologize for the parking situation as the hotel can get very busy at times.
Warm regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stay at this hotel frequently with work and I really like the hotel. Fast check in, great area, close to transit, Toronto Island ferry, etc. The front desk staff and concierge are great.

I only wish they would spend a little more time monitoring their maids. I have had dirty carpets, and less than perfectly clean bathrooms on several stays. If they had their maids better trained I would have given this property a perfect score.

Beds, TV, internet, restaurant, room service, all are excellent.

Room Tip: Upper floors have less street noise but they are all decent in my experience. Both towers are of eq...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear LongKeel,
First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts on your most recent stay and for being a loyal guest of The Westin Harbour Castle.

I would like to apologize on behalf of our Housekeeping department and will follow-up today with our Director of Rooms to ensure that extra care is given to the condition of the rooms in the future. What you described is not acceptable for our hotel and I would really appreciate if you could email me a phone number I can reach you at at experienceteam@westin.com to discuss the matter further.

Kind regards
Caledon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights as part of a business conference. The hotel is located on the waterfront in Toronto overlooking the Islands and the island airport. The rooms were clean but the hotel is very worn. Public washrooms are looking very old. Had food catered and it was fairly good. Valet parking was quite quick considering there were a large number of people leaving after the conference. The sound of toilets flushing all night was a little disruptive. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tjocCanada,
Thank you for sharing your review and for staying with us during your recent conference.

I have noted what you’ve said about the décor of the hotel and can assure you that I will bring it up in the next monthly meeting in order to serve you better. Thank you for your feedback.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

On arrival, the doormen greeted us warmly and the man on reception upgraded our room when he found we were on honeymoon so we had a lovely view over the harbour area which you can sit on the chaise lounge and stare at for a long time. The airport at side of harbour seemed to be quite busy while we were there with small planes taking off quite a lot although it wasn't a noise that you could hear loudly.
Beds are very comfy and sturdy feeling with the double mattresses. Could hear some noise from the room next door but nothing too bad.
I loved the Starbucks coffee machine in the rooms and having the small fridge to keep drinks in was great. Room was a nice size to move around in and good selection of TV channels compared to some other hotels.
The showers have 2 heads which seems great at first although I found it a bit sore on the skin but that's probably just me.

We ordered room service our 1st night as we were tired from travelling and it arrived quickly. Very pricey but considering it was our honeymoon we thought it worth the treat. Had the breakfast buffet next morning which had a good variety of foods but again very, very pricey for what it was. The service from the waiter however was great.

The hotel seems best suited for those travelling for business and considering the prices I would have liked to have free WiFi in the rooms but that was not to be. Also be prepared to pay a fortune if you choose to have anything sent to be laundered / dry cleaned from what I read on the price list.

I would stay here again if I was in Toronto but find cheaper places to eat :)

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are the way to go
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were quite happy with the comfort and service provided by this Westin. Our room was clean and comfortable. All employees we came in contact with we're pleasant and helpful. Parking could be a problem if you like to self park. You have to park off site. We chose valet parking as it was only $10 more. We saved by using the excellent public transportation that Toronto provides. We will definitely stay here on future visits. You can't beat the location.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, dear Mike L.

Our associates have one thing in mind during your stay at our hotel: you. We want to make sure you are well when staying at The Westin Harbour Castle, and we are happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay.

We hope to see you soon,
Warm regards,
Dalkey, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had to stay here because I was attending a conference recently in Toronto. No doubt it is very close, as in across the street, to the convention center. So good marks for that, but then that is just coincidence---nothing to do with quality, service and value. Overall I like staying at Westins when traveling on business.

Sooooo that being said, for a Westin I was quite surprised at the overall 'fit and finish' of the property. By that I mean things like exposed caulking in the bathroom, old chairs with nicks and scratches going a bit over the normal wear and tear, dirty-looking old elevators.

The elevator inside doors one must look at when closed are as if someone has never bothered to clean them after drunk conventioneers possibly spilled their drinks or coffee on the way up to their rooms. Not in just one elevator, but practically all of them.

A 'red feather boa piece' on the floor next to the bed on arrival? I guess someone had some fun and the housekeeper thought it was ours? Anyone could have missed it while cleaning a room, but then that's my point overall about this place---rough around the edges.

We spent insane amounts at the bar entertaining clients and tipped cash to the staff, but then staff came back and asked for more to be put on the credit card receipt? Really? Yes really. And in fact this type of activity was reported to me by others in attendance. What's up with that kind of behavior? Is that a local thing? Do they think they are not getting tipped enough? I have no idea but I must say I was floored.

Then the coffee kiosk personnel were consistently of a 'non-friendly' vibe. Not overtly rude but just a tad on the 'this is just my job' mode and not really caring to care for the customer that ultimately pays their salaries? Two days in a row they got a simple coffee order wrong and then actually went through the paper receipt to check what I ordered vs. what they delivered just to make sure I wasn't shorting them on the tab vs. just correcting the order immediately and getting on with it. But no, they had to check and then the line just got longer and longer. As if I am running a scam to get free coffee each day?

As Westin beds go the bed was top notch in terms of comfort. My room had a great view of the lake. The fridge worked. The water has hot. Food in the lobby level restaurant approached being OK. But I found to be insanely priced compared to street pricing---but then I guess that is the 'captive audience' game being played in this conventioneer part of town.

My recommendation: Depending upon your schedule, pace and logistics you might *need* to stay at this property because of the proximity to the conference center and you just 'deal with it.' Otherwise from numerous previous visits to Toronto there are plenty of other worthy properties in the city centre that are only a short cab ride away. NO WAY I would stay here as a tourist.

Overall I regrettably state that this is one of the lower-end Westin properties I've ever experienced. Staff needs a boost or better training. Property needs attention to detail.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear pinkysworld ,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you and your clients had at our hotel, and for the interactions you had with our associates which left you with the feeling of not being cared for. What you describe in your review is totally unacceptable and I would like to assure you that we are taking this very seriously. Rest assured that I am personally following up with my teams so we are able to avoid these issues in the future.

In the meantime, I would really appreciate if you could send me a private message or email me at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact you to further discuss.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your review to let us know where we have fallen short in our service delivery and standards.

I look forward to connecting with you soon,
Stay well,
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

It's time for an update...
While, this wasn't a bad stay recently, I feel the price isn't worth what you get. The room is nice, but no bigger than a standard Hilton. The rooms are comfortable, with a small bathtub. The beds are nicely comfortable and the service is generally good. My shower didn't work properly the first morning (either ice cold, or scalding hot - nothing in between), but it was fixed later than day by the staff.

Unfortunately, the rooms are quite noisy - I was able to hear the elevator go up and down through the ventilation system. The walls are OK, but I have a colleague who had to phone 3 times due to neighbours partying too loudly. 3 times? After the 2nd time, is it not time to kick them to the curb??

I found the food to be mediocre, and the upcharges for internet access ($14/day) were insane. I know upscale hotels charge for Internet, but those are 1990s prices!

Overall, these (combined with the high room rate) left a bad taste in my mouth. Nevertheless the stay wasn't bad...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear FunkyMan3333,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us and I am sorry that your experience at our hotel didn’t meet your expectations.

We always pride ourselves in delivering impeccable service and after reading your review, I understand better where we fell short. I would really appreciate if you could email me at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number I can reach you at so that I discuss your stay in further details.

I look forward to connecting with you
Stay well,
Hotel Manager

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!