“A landmark in Toronto heavily disappoints” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

Save Saved
You added The Westin Harbour Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Harbour Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1A6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“A landmark in Toronto heavily disappoints”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have stayed at the Westin in Beijing, Singapore and from both stays I thought Westin was a top grade hotel; this trip to Toronto made me completely change my opinion.

The facilities are old, which is fine if the service and amenities made up for it. There was no slippers in my room, and no toothbrush set. These are very basic items that a hotel should provide. The room was extremely dark, as if to hide the fact the carpet has stains and hadn't been cleaned in a decade. The noise barriers were low, every time someone walked by our room, it seems as if they were IN our room.

And breakfast options were pretty poor, I walked 20 minutes to go to another cafe in the rain. Overall, the Westin Harbour Castle, which toots itself as a landmark hotel in Toronto is a huge disappointment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
RKhote, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your most recent stay with us. It is always our hope that our guests leave us feeling well cared for, and it saddens me to hear that your experience with us was not a pleasant one.

Would it be possible for us to connect directly to further discuss this? I look forward in hearing from you when time permits.

Once again, thank you for letting us know how we made you feel.

Best Regards,
-Rekha Khote
Westin Harbour Castle

2,096 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at this property for a weekend and I must say, it was phenomenal! I work for a sister property, so from the start, my expectations were high! The service was fantastic- everyone was eager to assist, personable, and most importantly warm and welcoming! It was a great experience and this property is also centrally located- we were able to walk just about everywhere! Also, the pool deck, tennis courts, and basketball courts were a definite PLUS! I would definitely recommend this property!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We had a great time here. Best of all, we were upgraded from a city view room to a harbour view room without even asking. It is certainly a lovely view!

The beds here are also super comfortable. I often have trouble sleeping and I had the best sleep I've had for a long time.

My only complaint was that when we asked the concierge about the Airport Express bus that leaves from right outside the hotel, we were given some vague information that wasn't entirely accurate. It also would have assisted us if the concierge had mentioned that there is actually a shuttle timetable posted outside the hotel - this would have helped us to plan how to get to the airport but the concierge didn't mention this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Fremont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Nice room, but further from the Toronto Convention Center than I thought. It was a 15-20 minute walk; and its a ten minute walk to Union Station if you're taking transit. BUT for Greenbuild, it was well worth it. The lobby has an airline boarding pass print station which was helpful since internet access was $14.95 per day instead of free. I elected to bypass towel and linen service to minimize my footprint, but was surprised to see no room service at all with no vacuuming or trash can emptying. Still overall, a decent convention venue. Wish I had more time to stay and visit. Toronto looks like it had lots to offer.

Room Tip: I was in a room xx11 on the south tower and it had a great morning sun view over the water.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I stayed at the Westin Harbour for one week and it was a top of the line experience. Everyone from the concierge to the guest relations staff was immaculately professional. I had a room on the 34th floor (lakeview room) which was exceptional. Anything I needed was provided before I could get the words out of my mouth. It was quiet, the beds were very comfortable and the location is phenomenal. Its just a quick walk to a variety of restaurants. I'm visiting again in November for a week! Definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

It's not often that you find a world class hotel which gives you the opportunity to control the amount of fresh air coming into your room. These rooms have a small operable vent at the window. It's brilliant because it helps to prevent the scratchy throat and dry mouth that I always get at hotels because the air conditioning system removes all the humidity from the air in the room. Loved it!!

Of course, this Westin had super comfy beds and the usual simple but elegant furnishings and fixtures. They also make it easy to opt out of daily sheet and towel laundering for the sustainability-minded guests. Even their mini shampoo bottles are recyclable - surprising not common in hotels. The staff at the front desk, concierge, and lobby bar were courteous and friendly. And, the room was cleaned to a sparkle every day.

A few things to keep in mind: The lakefront location means you're a bit separated from the rest of the city by an elevated freeway. However, it's short walk to the city center and public transportation. The hotel entrance is a whole floor (maybe more) above street level. So, I'm not certain how a disabled person can get from the public sidewalk to the hotel. You might want to inquire about this if you can't climb stairs.

Room Tip: The city of Toronto doesn't offer many opportunities to get a good view the lakefront. So, take...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed in the north/west tower. What a great room (# ended in 19) with a great view! Clean, up to date, quiet, and modern. Lots of space, awesome bed, and an attentive, professional staff. Definitely recommending to friends and family!

Room Tip: Go for water side... See the harbor, the airport, and have a great stay!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Harbour Castle? Share your experiences!