“Cleanliness, quiet and convenience are all lacking here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel

You added Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2M9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #62 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Ontario
“Cleanliness, quiet and convenience are all lacking here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I got a good deal for the (Canadian) Thanksgiving holiday weekend through Hotwire, and I wasn't fussy. Was really looking for someplace I could stay in and get some work done. Convenience, really. Just looking for something hassle-free. It was listed as a 4-star hotel on Hotwire.

The Sheraton Centre, though much-improved from its previous forms, isn't quite hassle-free, unfortunately.

First, a plus. They offer you a $5 credit for every day you decline having your room cleaned. This is a great idea. It's environmentally friendly and frees up anyone who doesn't want to be disturbed during the day. You can only really use the credit toward dining during your stay, which sounds like a win-win for the hotel (the room service charge is $5) but it's still a noble gesture.

The downside, which is probably unrelated to that promotion, is that I didn't find the hotel terribly clean overall. When I arrived in my room, the bathroom had been surface cleaned, but the toilet hadn't been flushed, there was garbage in the bin and hair in the tub (um, gross, on all counts).

When I got ice, some of it was brown and black (I have never seen that before) and the bed linens were ripped and stained (the staining was mostly on the bed skirt and duvet, but, still, ew).

Also, the room was cold, so cold that the clean ice I managed to coax out of the machine wouldn't melt in the room for hours! I tried to adjust the thermostat and fan settings, but the unit just made noise. There was never any evidence it worked.

The frustration started at check-in. There was a long line at check-in (made sense, due to the holiday). But, after all that, my room key didn't work when I got to my room. I had to coax the door to open for about 20 minutes before it finally worked. They sent security up within the hour, but instead of sending someone up with an extra key, they told me to go down and get one. That's some 4 star service right there.

The TV seemed to work, but the in-room movie service didn't work for most of my visit. A shame, as I would have killed some time watching movies.

Or at least I would have used them to drown out the other noise. I don't think I've ever been in such a noisy hotel. There seemed to be noise at all hours, and it would go on and on.

There also wasn't a vending machine in he whole hotel, which shouldn't really matter, except there was nothing open because of the holiday weekend...

So, not wanting to wander around for food and drink, I ordered room service three times, which was so-so (except dessert. Don't order dessert). Everyone was very pleasent and nice to deal with. The food, however, is well overpriced and only so-so in quality, so if you're up for leaving your room, you definitely should. The hotel is in a busy area of town, with great access to lots of shops and transit... when they're open. Maybe not so much on a holiday weekend, natch.

I called down to the front desk from my room exactly once- to ask for extra towels and toiletries so I could shower before check-out. I called around 9am. Check-out time was noon. I left without showering. No one, in three hours, showed up.

If you can get a great deal and don't care about service, it's an ok hotel. If you need something reasonably quiet and convenience-oriented, don't bother. This is not the hotel you're looking for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Niagara Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel was very centrally located in the downtown area of Toronto. It is next to City Hall and within walking distance of the School of Art and Design as well as the Art Gallery of Ontario.

The hotel itself is well kept and very clean. The lobby is very nicely decorated. There is an arcade attached to the hotel offering shopping, restaurants and even a Starbucks cafe. There is also a Tim Horton's in the next building as well as a full service Starbucks on the corner of Queen and Bay Streets.

The staff at the desk is exceptional. As a gold member I was recognised for my status and jumped the queue upon arrival and departure. The staff there is efficient, kind and well intentioned.

The room was very clean, nicely furnished and the beds were extremely comfortable. The pool and Sauna area on the third floor was immaculate and very enjoyable. The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool which is heated and very nice in the fall weather. We really enjoyed our time there.

Overall this was an excellent stay at a great hotel and we certainly will stay here again on our next visit to Toronto.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for three nights during a conference that was held at the hotel. I took the airport shuttle so did not have any issues with traffic or parking. The hotel was very nice, and I was really happy to receive free wi-fi as a Starwood member. (When will all hotels have free wi-fi? It's a necessity!). I was on crutches so the hotel gave me a room close to the elevator, which sounds bad, but didn't cause me any problems with noise. I did make the mistake of eating at the hotel restaurant (B&B)--DON'T DO IT! I ordered a salad, which was brown and dead on arrival. I don't know how the server brought it out with a straight face. I didn't eat it, so she offered me a 15% discount. There are nice restaurants all around the area, so do yourself a favor and go to one of those instead. We went to Canoe one night and it was fantastic, only a few blocks away. My room was nice, the elevators are very quick, they have Starbuck's in the room, and overall it is a nice place to stay. One bad thing--I paid for a drink with U.S. currency, and the hotel takes a 25% cut (that's what I was told anyway.) That might just be the price of doing business, but restaurants in the attached mall only charged 5%.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mt Kisco, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It's 2012 (as if I have to clue anyone in to this). I can NOT stand it, that in this day and age, hotels charge for the most basic of things, like making local phone calls from your hotel room.

Let me back up. We were in Toronto for a family wedding. We arrived (from the US) with some drama: our two year old contracted an ear infection nearly as we were boarding the plane in NC, which meant we had a big problem on our hands upon arriving in Toronto. We got to the hotel early, and thankfully, were granted an early check-in. (The one plus of our hotel experience.) We headed to our room to get online and start making some phone calls to figure out the best place to take the kiddo on a) a Saturday, and b) in a foreign country.

As we pulled out the laptop and tried to hop online, our two year old wailing his head off in pain, we were greeted with a screen that informed us that wifi would cost us $20/day. REALLY, Sheraton? This is the biggest travel ripoff in the world, this whole "pay for wifi" thing. It costs the hotel NOTHING to offer this to guests. Plus, we were Starwood members. Did this membership not grant us the privilege of free (or discounted??) wifi? No. I digress.

We had to log on, so we paid for 2 days of wifi, not knowing what our circumstances would be over the next 24 hours. Ahem, Hurricane Sandy's arrival, which would cancel our flight and force us back online on day 3 to make alternate travel arrangements.

Then, I started making phone calls to local family to find out what our best option for a doctor would be. Little did I realize that I would be dinged $2 for each of these local calls.

Seriously, Sheraton?

This, coupled with having a sick toddler in tow, a fairly dated room that didn't have a refrigerator ($20 a day charge to have one brought up to your room...wtf), a bathroom that left quite a bit to be desired (no counter space at all, bathtub could have used a re-grout) and a room literally RIGHT at the elevator, and we pretty much decided that this was not our cup of tea.

Oh, and as we were checking out, sitting on the reservationists desk was a coupon card for free wifi, which I asked about. He informed me that it was a new promo, starting that day. I asked if this could be applied to us, since we were checking out that day and had needed the wifi for extenuating circumstances. He smiled and said, no, I'm sorry.

Yeah, I'm sorry too, Sheraton...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked with Priceline and got a well appointed, quiet, spacious and agreable room with double beds for just $100. Hard to beat deal. Excellent checking in and checking out service by a courteous staff. Close to many showplaces and a tasty variety of restaurants, Accomodations in the older section could use a little bit of freshening up though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New Liskeard
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just got back from spending two nights at the Sheraton. It is a lovely hotel with all the extras that you would expect. We stayed in the Richmond Tower, which I guess is the older section. We almost complained and asked to be moved on the first night because of excessive noise from the people partying in the next room- very annoying, but we were too tired to pack up and move. The second night, which was a Sunday, was much quieter and we slept like logs! Internet is very expensive, as is onsite parking. We found cheaper underground parking across the street. The Sheraton is central to anything that you would want- shopping, great restaurants, tourist attractions... We got a great price on Hotwire and would definitely book there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed one night on the Sheraton Club level. The hotel is exactly what you expect from a big city convention hotel. The room was clean and nicely furnished but nothing special. The staff was nice. The Club lounge is on the top floor of the hotel. It is attractive with great views, but the food offerings were mediocre. The lobby and valet parking area were chaotic. This hotel is a fine, first class property with no surprises. If you are looking for something a little less generic, try the Fairmont Royal York. It is still downtown but is a much better hotel with a very nice Fairmont Gold floor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel? Share your experiences!