“Nickle & diming makes me crazy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel

You added Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2M9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Mt Kisco, NY
“Nickle & diming makes me crazy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It's 2012 (as if I have to clue anyone in to this). I can NOT stand it, that in this day and age, hotels charge for the most basic of things, like making local phone calls from your hotel room.

Let me back up. We were in Toronto for a family wedding. We arrived (from the US) with some drama: our two year old contracted an ear infection nearly as we were boarding the plane in NC, which meant we had a big problem on our hands upon arriving in Toronto. We got to the hotel early, and thankfully, were granted an early check-in. (The one plus of our hotel experience.) We headed to our room to get online and start making some phone calls to figure out the best place to take the kiddo on a) a Saturday, and b) in a foreign country.

As we pulled out the laptop and tried to hop online, our two year old wailing his head off in pain, we were greeted with a screen that informed us that wifi would cost us $20/day. REALLY, Sheraton? This is the biggest travel ripoff in the world, this whole "pay for wifi" thing. It costs the hotel NOTHING to offer this to guests. Plus, we were Starwood members. Did this membership not grant us the privilege of free (or discounted??) wifi? No. I digress.

We had to log on, so we paid for 2 days of wifi, not knowing what our circumstances would be over the next 24 hours. Ahem, Hurricane Sandy's arrival, which would cancel our flight and force us back online on day 3 to make alternate travel arrangements.

Then, I started making phone calls to local family to find out what our best option for a doctor would be. Little did I realize that I would be dinged $2 for each of these local calls.

Seriously, Sheraton?

This, coupled with having a sick toddler in tow, a fairly dated room that didn't have a refrigerator ($20 a day charge to have one brought up to your room...wtf), a bathroom that left quite a bit to be desired (no counter space at all, bathtub could have used a re-grout) and a room literally RIGHT at the elevator, and we pretty much decided that this was not our cup of tea.

Oh, and as we were checking out, sitting on the reservationists desk was a coupon card for free wifi, which I asked about. He informed me that it was a new promo, starting that day. I asked if this could be applied to us, since we were checking out that day and had needed the wifi for extenuating circumstances. He smiled and said, no, I'm sorry.

Yeah, I'm sorry too, Sheraton...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked with Priceline and got a well appointed, quiet, spacious and agreable room with double beds for just $100. Hard to beat deal. Excellent checking in and checking out service by a courteous staff. Close to many showplaces and a tasty variety of restaurants, Accomodations in the older section could use a little bit of freshening up though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New Liskeard
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just got back from spending two nights at the Sheraton. It is a lovely hotel with all the extras that you would expect. We stayed in the Richmond Tower, which I guess is the older section. We almost complained and asked to be moved on the first night because of excessive noise from the people partying in the next room- very annoying, but we were too tired to pack up and move. The second night, which was a Sunday, was much quieter and we slept like logs! Internet is very expensive, as is onsite parking. We found cheaper underground parking across the street. The Sheraton is central to anything that you would want- shopping, great restaurants, tourist attractions... We got a great price on Hotwire and would definitely book there again.

boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed one night on the Sheraton Club level. The hotel is exactly what you expect from a big city convention hotel. The room was clean and nicely furnished but nothing special. The staff was nice. The Club lounge is on the top floor of the hotel. It is attractive with great views, but the food offerings were mediocre. The lobby and valet parking area were chaotic. This hotel is a fine, first class property with no surprises. If you are looking for something a little less generic, try the Fairmont Royal York. It is still downtown but is a much better hotel with a very nice Fairmont Gold floor.

Gananoque, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

....package War Horse, dinner @ a selection of 20 local restaurants AND a decent room for the noight for $169 per head! That's value and will bring me back to the Sheraton Centre! Now, if only they could cut a deal for car parking THAT would be excellent!

Room Tip: Be prepared to get hosed for car parking everywhere...but that's a given these days!
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My main problem with the Sheraton was getting to it. I unfortunately arrived at the height of rush hour, and the traffic was crawling on the busy streets around the hotel. I drove into the hotel entrance area and was told valet parking was $48, and the doorman politely suggested I park the car myself to save some money. While the underground parking garage entrance is just down the street, by the time you find a parking spot, you are a long way from the hotel. When exiting the elevator, you are across the street from the hotel and have to enter the underground tunnel that crosses under the street. However, the underground city is a maze, with poor signage (every sign you look at has the hotel name on it, and it is not clear how to actually get to the hotel). But I finally found the escalator leading up to the hotel, and then had to wait 10 minutes to get checked-in. Again, it was rush hour and there were lots of people arriving; this is such a huge hotel you are bound to have to wait in line. After that, my stay was fine, although I found the room to be warm and turning down the thermostat didn't seem to help.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just came back from a one night stay. I rented 2 adjoining rooms through the starwood website. Then quickly discovered a much cheaper rate directly through the hotel. So booked it cheaper which made me very happy. However, getting confirmation of the adjoining rooms was a little bit of a pain which involved 3 phone calls and finally, got a confirmation. We had a smooth check-in and the rooms we got were in the Richmond Tower (older section). They were clean and spacious, no complaints at all. The only issue I had which had was that our rooms were next to the elevators and at 3 am in the morning, what seemed like "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" were having a brawl outside. It took me 10 minutes to get through to guest services and it then took security 25 minutes to come up.
Check out was simple in the morning and after complaining, the front desk clerk did give me some compensation. I didn't expect that but felt like I was listened too.
Used the swimming pool which was great, they do provide towels. Big drawback, only available wifi was in the lobby. Not cool....
Overall, a good experience but god, i wish people would consider others....

Room Tip: Make sure it is not near an elevator or pop/ice vending machine!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel? Share your experiences!