“Deepest Darkest Secrets of The Toronto Sheraton Centre, Revealled!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel

You added Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2M9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“Deepest Darkest Secrets of The Toronto Sheraton Centre, Revealled!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The Toronto Sheraton Centre is THE workhorse hotel in the Toronto downtown core. Always busy, the location is hard to beat, close to... basically everything Toronto downtown has to offer.

Built in 1970 the hotel has a decidedly “decade of concrete” seventies brutalist exterior - definitely not the not the prettiest facade. However, the interior makes up for it with hidden gardens and water features that brush up against a very large, extremely busy lobby.

The lobby is designed to move people. If there is an event or conference or a special occasion evening such as New Year’s Eve,(when the City hosts a massive outdoor party across the street at City Hall) an astonishing number of people can fit into the lobby space.

For this reason do not opt for valet parking, unless you really like traffic jams and paying too much for things you don’t need. If the hotel is busy, it can literally take 45 minutes to move your vehicle the 50 feet from the street to the front of the hotel, where a valet parking attendant will take it to City Hall Public Parking across the street for $45. Or, maybe a better option is for you to park your vehicle at City Hall Parking across the street for $20 or so. Or less depending on how long you park for. Then simply walk directly underground to the concourse level of the hotel, which might take you five minutes if you are very slow and get lost once or twice.

Presently, the lobby bar Traders, which has been a Sheraton Centre staple for as long as I have been going to the Hotel, is undergoing renovations. For like a year. At least. A new bar/ restaurant will take Trader’s place which will no doubt irk some long time Sheraton Centre regulars - like myself. Trader’s was big and dark but was a fine alternative to drinking alone in your room. A picture of a hamburger advertises the good times to come with the new venue.

Right now, dining options in the Hotel include “Bistro on 2” a second floor restaurant/bar room which is basically deserted (don’t let the name fool you, it is no more a Bistro than I am) , or a revolving door of peripheral restaurants housed in the body of the immense building - currently the Toronto iconic deli Shopsey’s (more reputation than anything else) and an Irish Steakhouse -- whatever that is. It used to be Le Biftec which is not Irish, but was a steakhouse. Or perhaps one could opt for the Club Lounge.

Sheraton Hotels recently spent 6 billion on renovations to replace the carpets and pictures - maybe a few bathrooms - in the hotel rooms chain wide, which also included making the Sheraton Centre Club lounge trendier and more modern, but much smaller - causing a traffic problem. Martial Arts training is recommended for the breakfast buffet line.

The Hotel expects you to pay $50 to upgrade to lounge access (unless you’re SPG Platinum where it is gratis), and I have to say that it is totally not worth it - unless you really like hard boiled eggs. They also removed many items that were available for breakfast so you’re paying $50 for cereal, two toasters that you will certainly have to run your English Muffin through three times, the afore-mentioned hard-boiled eggs and a great view, If you can nab a spot near the window (good luck).

There is always room service. As SPG Platinum for five years plus, I have come to learn that the measure of excellent room service is how well they can do a Club Sandwich. It’s pretty good. However, while you’re eating your Club, don’t expect a High Definition feed on the flatscreen television. To me, that is a head-scratcher. The Hotel chain spends zillions on dollars equipping every hotel room in the chain with a 32 to 46 inch flat screen TV and then does not provide HD so when you’e watching a ball game, everyone looks like they are 4 feet tall and weighs 350.

If the analogue TV feed annoys you, you could always go for a workout or go for a swim. One of the very best features of this hotel is the heated outdoor pool. It really is big time fun to take in a mid-winter nighttime swim in a massive heated pool with the snow flying.

If you’re lucky, or know about them, there are the Cabana rooms next to the pool. Secret rooms away from the tower that back onto the pool against the lobby garden. The garden is woodsy, with birch trees and walkways that lie in total contrast to the “way up in the air” experience of the Tower rooms. These rooms are quiet and spacious and are listed as Junior Suites. These rooms almost provide a unexpected resort experience. I almost always try and request one of these rooms if available.

Tower rooms are tower rooms. Fairly generic, with very little differentiation between rooms. There are some suites available, but more often than not they are simply two basic rooms with a connecting door and a couch instead of a bed.

The north side of the hotel offers a great view of another adventure in concrete - Toronto City Hall. In my opinion, the north side view is much better than the south view - you get a panoramic view of City Hall, plus the the artchetural century old splendor of Osgood Hall. It is also a nice image watching the skaters on a cold crisp morning in the City Hall rink on Saturday morning. Bring your skates and go yourself. These rooms are a fantastic way to spend New Years Eve an awesome view of the festivities and a low risk of being shot.

All the rooms were upgraded about five years ago. They are pleasant, still relevant and comfortable. They haven’t yet faded to the extent hotel rooms can slide.

The beds are hit and miss. Despite the “Sweet Sleeper” claim and the marketing job they use to promote the sleep experience, you can easily end up on a bag of lumpy mattress. To be fair, this is true of all hotels, however if you make the claim...

Another point of some importance is the AC system. There is nothing worse than being a a stuffy hotel room trying to catch some sleep before your 5 AM wake-up call sweating to death because the AC system is weak. There are rooms in this hotel where you can end up in extreme stuffy situations. Importantly, the rooms have windows. If your AC isn’t working (which is not uncommon, paint, beds and wallpaper are a lot easier to update than a hotel’s AC system), turn it off and open the window. Don’t bother calling down as they will send someone who will turn it off and open the window. Being able to gain a measure of fresh air is a huge plus and for me, a reason to pick a hotel.

Sheraton as a brand takes huge stock in the guest experience. While many hotel managers will respond to negative (or positive for that matter) TA reviews with the generic “hotel manager” reply, Sheraton takes survey results very seriously and they will respond don’t be under the impression that your experience isn’t appreciated by the hotel - let them know, and you’d be surprised.

Note to tourists visiting the city: There is no reason to sped your valuable tourist time staggering up Yonge St or lurching through the Eaton Center, as the AGO and ROM and other attractions are so close by.

Room Tip: Cabana rooms back out on to the pool - North side tower rooms provide the best view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive and fun review of us. I am glad that we could inspire your creativity and I hope that you stay with us again so that we can hear more of it.

Tony Dunn,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
Cleveland OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is my home away from home, and canine friendly at that. I was joking with the front desk person who checked me in that when I hit 50 stays we'll have to have cake or something.
Much remains the same, which in this case is a very good thing. There is great comfort in knowing one can depend on the comforts of the room and the staff.
I do think the room service food fees are on the high side, and the menu is somewhat limited...add in the $5 service fee and a simple snack is in the $20 range. My server one night was an incredibly sensitive gentleman who shared a story about another guest who stays regularly and demonstrated the compassion of the hotel staff. I just wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.
Although I just left a note and didn't ask for any attention to this, I did have a quirky bathroom sink faucet that sometimes ran hot water out of the cold spigot before turning to cold.
The garden is fully operational and prior to my leaving someone added some kitschy metal stems with flowers and butterflies. Had they been more artistic and professional, it might have been a nice touch. They have added new garden furniture which is very nice, black iron looking pieces including some chaise lounges, though at this point (it was rainy) no cushions, and no umbrellas. I noticed what appeared to be a barbeque grill...and learned later that this was for a ceremonial sacred fire by a group of First Nations people meeting in the hotel...the fire was kept going for several days and nights as is tradition...but I am not one to do well in smoke so the sporadic journeys to the green space for my pup meant we had to encounter that...
If I have any issue, it is that in spite of my delight that this hotel has been non-smoking, they still continue to allow smoking in the garden. A beautiful environment, meant for all to enjoy the fresh air is contaminated by meeting goers who take breaks and stink the place up and litter with their butts all over the place. I am waiting for the day someone is brave enough to make the decision to force the smokers on the street and let the garden and those of us who appreciate it breath the air free of the stench. I realize this space is open to the city air and the pollution of cars etc, but still, the smoke is really in your face with the smokers, and the litter is disgusting.
Although I am sensitive to the problems of opening a new restaurant, I found the temporary issues this created annoying: I learned the hard way (I hadn't read the sign prior) that the Link Cafe in the lobby is only open until 3 PM. The restaurant bar formerly known as Traders was due to reopen the day after we left...so that was not an option. The restaurant on the 2nd floor was temporarily closing early (open for breakfast only) for several days as the new restaurant B and B, opened. They put a sign up suggesting people call room service...which is a pricier option noted earlier.
Other food options on weekdays include the food courts easily accesible from the concourse level. When you get downstairs if you head toward the right there is another food court that has some different places, one where I had a delicious egg and mushroom sandwich.
Also, beyond the B and B, is a place called Quinns (a steakhouse) and on the other side is a Shopsy's deli. Take out service can be a bit slow, and the food is only fair for the money. A TIm Horton's is just outside the hotel.
The Sheraton is in a wonderful location and with the PATH, you can also make your way to the Hudson Bay Company, which has a recreated lower level with several places to get food that can be made to go. Although the prices were high, it was fairly decent quality. Don't miss the bakery counter which often has pastries made by Dufflet! They also now have a gelato spot. In addition, there is still a small grocery/convenience store within the Bay on this level, and you can get beverages, snacks, cheese, bread etc, even some frozen meals and ice cream.

The staff at the hotel are terrific. As a woman travelling with canine, I feel very safe. Security staff are discreet but around. Hotel is directly across from Nathan Phillips Square and next to the Four Seasons Centre; Eaton Centre is accessible via the PATH going up to the 2nd floor at the Hudson Bay and taking the walkway across/above Queen Street.

I would rate this hotel excellent on cleanliness however within 2 minutes of getting to the room my pup dove under the bed and came out with something very small and shiny in her mouth. This triggered great concern for fear it was metallic and an earring or something similar...and I came to discover it was a foil wrapped hard candy...in fact, there was another one under the bed...and an unused paper cup under the other...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your extensive and informative review. I am sorry that you had an issue with our food and beverage offerings. We were in a transition phase while we opened our new restaurant. Unfortunately you didn’t get to try it out but perhaps when you come back this way you will get to enjoy it. BnB is gating rave reviews from our guests. I personally think they serve some of the best burgers in the city. It is a ‘can’t miss’ when you stay at the Sheraton Centre.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and had a room on an upper floor with a view of the CN Tower and (just about) a view of the water. You don't get much of a view of Lake Ontario anywhere because Toronto Islands are in the way but the skyscrapers at night look fantastic! Our Club level room gave us access to an inclusive continental style breakfast and early evening hors d'oeuvres both taken in the top floor bar/lounge with good views of the city.
We did ask to be moved on arrival as the first room we were allocated was right next to the lift shaft and within 2 minutes of entering the room we realised we would be disturbed all night by the noise of the lifts going up and down. They were happy to move us but then there was a problem with the room keys for the new room which meant 2 trips down to the lobby before the receptionist came back up with us to let us in and get house maintenance to sort it out - apparently a faulty system on the door itself. They apologised for the inconvenience and volunteered a $50 credit to our account without us saying a word. Well done Sheraton! Once the problem was ironed out we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well situated for exploring Toronto being fairly central and quite close to a subway station. The Sheraton is linked to the PATH underground walkway system which I would recommend getting to know as it is useful either when it is cold and rainy or indeed when it's very hot, as you can walk easily through shopping malls from block to block without having to wait for the traffic lights to change on each corner!
We only ate at the hotel once, in the Bistro, and it was ok but not memorable. We didn't use the swimming pool.

Room Tip: Not essential, but if you can afford it go for one of the Club rooms on a high floor with a lake and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonCentre, General Manager at Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you found our hotel to your liking and that our location suited you. Safe travels. We hope to see you back again soon.

Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

i would rank the room, bed, & amenities right up there with other hotels of this standard, but my experience with the staff was over the top. upon arrival -- late night, exhausted, crabby -- the front desk staff bent over backwards in their service, even sending up a complimentary dessert & cold beverage. upon leaving, the valet brought up my car and it had a flat tire. i was of course discounted some of my parking charge, but was distraught over the problem. a different valet worker ran to retrieve a tire repair kit from his own car, then took the time to fix it so i wouldn't have to stress on a sunday over finding a mechanic and drastically delaying my drive home. i was so overwhelmed by the 'extra mile' that i was near tears, prompting the same helpful worker to usher me into the lobby and buy me a coffee from starbucks! i protested that it was *me* who should be treating *him*, but no! great service sure makes you want to patronize a place again. and i will.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for telling us this story. We will be sure to thank our valet team for providing you with such an exceptional experience.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed one night and were very pleased with everything. Check in was quick, room was really nice, bed was super comfortable.....staff was very friendly.

Couldn't have asked for more, location to everything is great.

Even though the lobby is very busy, the service was excellent!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your overnight stay with us. Thank you for letting you fellow Trip Advisor members know about your experience.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

the staff in this hotel is super….friendly to the 9's….the hotel itself is pleasant enough but extremely expensive for what you get…..the hotel is fairly upscale green and recycles everywhere…the amenities for the cost are second rate….and wifi in rooms is an additional expense..really??? they do host an extremely well coordinated conference and in this regard they should always be added to the mix….the shopping is mostly non existent for an upscale hotel such as it is said to be…the fitness room is excellent…the spa a disappointment.

Room Tip: the room on the south side have a lovely view of the cn needle have a great view….the fitness room i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us. We are sorry that your experience was not perfect. We hope that your next stay with us is a better one.

Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Very clean rooms. No mold in the bathroom which I find to often in other hotels. decent rooms. Nice staff. Good local restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your compliment. I am glad that you enjoyed your experience with us above the other hotels you have stayed at in the past. We look forward to having you back again soon.

Tony Dunn,

Been to Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel? Share your experiences!