“the bad marginally outweighs the good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville

You added Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   280 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V8, Canada (Formerly Quality Inn) (The Annex)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Canberra, Australia
“the bad marginally outweighs the good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

good things:
- the hotel is just across the road from the brilliant Bata Shoe Musuem and a comfortable walk to the Royal Ontario Musuem and the chic shopping on Bloor St W near Yonge St
- my room was very large and was clean enough
- internet in the lobby is free (though rather slow)

bad things:
- there are no door-to-door shuttles in Toronto and the fixed route shuttle does not stop in this area - a taxi or towncar costs $57 (before tip)
- the service level is variable - the guy at the front desk on the afternoon I checked in was really friendly and helpful but the guy there in the mornings was rather snooty (at a Holiday Inn??!!)
- there are no 'ready for service' signs for the doors, so housekeeping make lots of noise banging on doors in the morning - however, to the credit of the housekeeping lady, when she saw that I'd complained about that on the comment card she left an apology note and tried to make less noise the next morning
- I recieved a bill for zillions of phone calls that I didn't make, when I complained they were removed but I didn't get an explaination or apolgy!

I paid 151AUD/night including taxes via Expedia (because I wanted the option to cancel, it would have been a fair bit less if I'd taken the no cancellation deal), on balance I think that's about fair but if in Toronto again I'd try somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

The hotel claims to have high speed wireless internet. My download speed was 2k/sec. Took 3 minutes to load cnn.com. I asked the front desk and they said it was because there were too many guests using it. I checked at 3:00am and problem was the same. Made it impossible to do business critical work. Other than that the hotel was average.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Spent a week at this hotel for business and had no issues whatsoever with the hotel. The staff were very friendly and handled some faxes for me quite efficiently. I had an "executive" room on a high floor which meant it was quiet and warm. Despite it being mid-January I don't think the heat came on even once. The bed was comfortable, the room & bath were clean, nice amenities and the clock radio worked. The phone sets and the TV are in need of a refresh but they worked just fine. Likewise the fitness room equipment is a bit dated but apart from being rather noisy, they performed adequately. There was a Globe & Mail newspaper outside the door each morning which was most appreciated. Also the proximity of the St. George TTC station makes the rest of the city easy to access.
The Fox & Fiddle restaurant adjoined to the hotel is not worth your time. I tried breakfast there once and did not return - expensive, small portions and indifferent wait staff. There are many other food options along Bloor that are much better choices for variety and cost.
This hotel was good value for the rate and the location was great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I thought this was pretty middle-of-the-road Holiday Inn: not luxurious, but quite comfortable and clean. Bloor St. is great, especially for me since I was visiting the university -- great variety of cheap little restaurants and bars and coffee shops.
I didn't try the restaurants. And I can't comment on the value, since (a) I was traveling at someone else's expense, and (b) I have no idea what the comparable area rates are.

The desk staff were competent and reasonably knowledgeable, but somewhat young and inexperienced.

If I were staying in the area again and got to choose where I would stay, I think I'd have a look at the prices of some of the fancier hotels. But the Holiday Inn was quite acceptable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Sudbury ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

We booked this hotel because it was on the Santa Claus Parade route. We've stayed at every other major hotel in Toronto, but this was our first time here. First off, I booked a King bed Executive room. There was nothing executive about this room, from the back-crippling plank of wood I had to sleep on to the smallish quarters. All to the tune of $300. Then the complimentary cocktail tickets for the Fox and Fiddle adjacent to the hotel, which the bar did not honour and that's probably not the hotels fault but it irked me none the less. And then as we were leaving the hotel's underground parking, I see a parking ticket under my blade for $37 ! Go back into the hotel and inquire about this and they tell me that I must not have given them my license plate number, which of course, I had. We'll see if this ticket ends up on my credit card bill. Staff was helpful and polite though, I do have to say but that is not enough to ever have me stay there again. There are many other beautiful hotels in Toronto to choose from for that kind of money.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed here for two nights for a conference at UofT; the location of the hotel with regard to the university is excellent, and it is also easy to get here from the St George subway station. There is not much in the way of character or decor, but still it was a pleasant stay. Certainly compared to Europe it has things you don't really expect in a hotel of this class: bigger room, an actual bath (not a shower), free newspaper etc. (And free wireless is a plus). Service was always polite and helpful. The price does not include breakfast, but you can get a pretty decent one down at the restaurant attached to the lobby for around 12-15 CAD, which is not very bad. Overall I'd recommend this for short business stays. (But it's also good for places like The Annex, Royal Ontario Museum and the Bata Shoe Museum.)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Holiday Inn on Bloor Street in Toronto and it was wonderful. Perfect location. Great, comfy beds and clean beyond belief rooms. The local colour of the neighbourhood is a welcome addition and its proximity to fabulous restaurants (Fresh and Over Easy), museums (the ROM and Gardiner), the subway, and lots of funky shopping west of the hotel and higher end (Winners, Holts, Indigo) to the east end makes this the best location in the city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville? Share your experiences!