“It can only get better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Toronto Centre

Save Saved
You added Novotel Toronto Centre to your Saves list
Novotel Toronto Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 The Esplanade, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1W2, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SUMMER offer: Get 25% OFF
Ranked #45 of 141 hotels in Toronto
GTA
“It can only get better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

This was a second stay or a "second chance" for this property. My first stay was less than spectacular, my most recent stay pretty much assured that I will not return to this property. From check in (I was accused for not having a reservation, despite proof) to common area cleanliness (there was a dirty glass left by the 3rd floor elevators Friday and still not picked up upon departure Sunday) room cleanliness (carpets are filthy and surface tops have stains) and an insanely confusing underground parking lot. Having stayed at hotels across the city, this is perhaps one of the most disappointing properties.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Felt like no one cares about the place
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,077 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Overall, not a bad hotel to stay at. Some of the attractive features included free wireless internet (unusual in an upper scale hotel), efficient front desk service, and a good location near the waterfront with plenty of lively eating and drinking spots nearby. The bathroom fixtures were very new, and the bed cover was an attractive off-white. The bed itself was quite comfy. I had one meal at the Cafe Nicole in the hotel lobby, and the service and food was above average.

However, the Novotel does have its challenges. Some of the irritating feartures of the hotel:

1. I had a horribly dirty carpet in my room.
2. The toilet seat would not stay up, creating a risk of surprise strikes against sensitive body parts.
3. The view from my 3rd floor window was a....wall. I'm sure some prison cells have better views.
4. No newspaper delivered to my room in the morning, and none available at the front desk. Apparently you need to pay more for an Executive Room to get a newspaper.

The Novotel is a viable option in downtown Toronto, especially if your are not expecting 5-star surroundings.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Dirty carpet.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband & I were in town for a ballgame, some good food and fun! The hotel was in walking distance to the ballgame and great places to eat. We were able to walk around and get back with no trouble at all. It was very clean and quiet! The buffet was well worth the price. It had everything on it. The rooms are very modern, so there was not a lot of drawer space, but I hung most of my things and it worked out. The bathroom was huge and very clean. I would recommend this hotel. Enjoy!

• Liked — Location to everything we wanted to do, most things were a block or 2 away.
  • Disliked — drawer space
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Randolph, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

This hotel was more then excellent, I cant describe how good this hotel was, this was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. the staff at this hotel was Phenomenal and would do everything possable to make sure we were comfortable. The rooms were very clean and well put togeather. the restaurant was very good and breakfast was also excellent. The hotel was right in downtown toronto, a block away from the Hockey Hall Of Fame and about four blocks from the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Toronto, and I would 100% stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carlsbad, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

This is a decent hotel, reasonably well located in Toronto for downtown activities, however, upon check-in despite reserving a room with two doubles/queens for three people, the clerk tried to sell us on a room with one bed and a trundle. After repeated insistence that this was unacceptable for us, he asked us to take a look at the room. Not only was the 2nd bed too small and uncomfortable for our teenage son, but the room itself was tiny. We returned to the desk and the clerk tried to get us to take the room by offering us free breakfasts, then finally acquiesced and gave us a very nice, spacious room with two beds of the size needed. We were satisfied with our stay after that, but it's too bad a good stay at a decent hotel got off on the wrong foot because a clerk was trying to "do the right thing for the hotel," as he put it. I'm not sure how you can do the right thing for the hotel if you're disappointing and irritating a guest, but that's what happened. Also, construction was underway across the street so you might want to check on the status of that before making your reservations.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

I found just about everything others have said here about this hotel to be true. When I checked in for my prepaid reservation, I asked specifically for a nonsmoking room, and asked if I might have one near the back to avoid the construction noise from across the street. They said they didn't have any nonsmoking rooms available in the back at the time, but I was welcome to check back in the next morning and see if there was one I could move into. I accepted a nonsmoking room facing the front for the night, but was relieved to find that the construction noise wasn't that bad in my room and it didn't start until about 8:30 am anyway. I told them I'd decided to stick with the room they gave me to start with. It had NO smoky odor or evidence that anyone had ever smoked there, so I was fine with it.

Some of the common areas of the hotel are kind of shabby, but the remodeled rooms are very pleasant and clean, if indeed European minimalist in decor, and the bathrooms are quite big. I enjoyed the free Internet access at the computers downstairs until my second evening there, when for some reason the traffic on them became so slow that even trying to access a Web site took more than a half hour. I don't know what happened, but I didn't really use their Internet service any more after that.

Location of the place is great--an easy walk to and from Union Station (from which you can reach just about every other place you want to go) and plenty of attractions and restaurants around.

It's true, however, that you are best off not even touching the minibar or the water bottles atop it, lest you find unexpected charges on your bill. When I checked in, even though my stay was prepaid, they insisted on putting a $50 deposit on my debit card for "incidentals." I told them there would be no "incidentals," but they insisted anyway. When I got into my room (having already read about their sensor system here and intending to touch nothing in the room containing food or drink), I saw that of several water bottles sitting on a sensor pad in the room, one was already empty. Two days later, a bottle was missing and there was an empty bottle still there. The only conclusion I could draw was that the housekeeper cleaning my room was drinking the water on the assumption that I would be billed for it. I called the front desk and asked if any incidental charges had been added to my bill for water, and said I'd noticed empty and moved bottles in my room that I hadn't touched. Sure enough, they had added charges for the water to my bill! Fortunately they agreed to remove them right away without insisting I prove I hadn't drunk the water myself, and when I checked out, they removed the deposit and didn't try to bill me for anything else.

I hate to sound like a big meanie who would deny the housekeepers an opportunity for a little refreshment, but if they need to enjoy some water and a break while cleaning the rooms (and I can't blame them if they do!), why isn't the hotel paying for it? Why should the guests have to foot the bill by being charged for water the housekeeping staff drank? (I also wanted to make sure nothing was coming out of the minibar that I didn't know about but was being charged for.) There's really no need to pay hotel prices for drinks or snacks, not with a convenience store right next to the place.

A tip: Assuming you're traveling alone and you brought a digital phone or phone with a camera, take a picture of the water bottles in your room as soon as you check in the room (it'll be time stamped). If they've already been drunk from, that will prove it. As for the rest of your visit, the hotel will have to believe you if you say water you didn't drink begins disappearing, but they believed me, so call the front desk right away if it happens and ask them to notify you of anything extra charged to your bill. If they're billing you for anything you didn't use, tell them right away.

To sum up: This is a nice hotel at a decent price, but if you want to keep it that way, touch none of the refreshments in your room, and tell the front desk if anyone else does!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Having to watch to make sure I wasn't charged for bottled water I didn't drink
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

We were pleased with this hotel, but felt that it was a little overpriced. The hotel appeared to be trying to be a little higher-class than it really was. The staff was not super friendly and seemed put out when we asked for information and directions. Our room was nice, but had a bit of an odd smell and needed to be vacuumed much better. We could hear every word that was said in the room next to us, which was only a problem at 2AM when the "girls" returned from their night on the town. The location is great. We attended at concert at the Sony Centre, which is literally across the street. I would probably stay here again, but not at $250 per night.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Novotel Toronto Centre? Share your experiences!