“Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni King Edward Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Omni King Edward Hotel to your Saves list
The Omni King Edward Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1E9, Canada (Formerly Le Meridien King Edward) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Dining Credit
Ranked #15 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Peterborough, Canada
“Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Snagged a good deal for a Saturday Night. They let us check in at 10:30 a.m. Quiet for the most part - heard a couple next door- briefly. Bed was very comfortable. Have to watch charges - $2 for a local call. Wifi was extra but the ipad connected without logging in and paying. Wall paper in the bathroom was gross- bad idea to have wall paper around the toilet paper holder. Rest of the room was clean. Two minute or less walk to the subway. Tim Horton's across the street for breakfast.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 9th floor, was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear EDV1958,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The King Edward Hotel. I am delighted that the hotel’s location was a highlight for you. I also thank you for giving us specific feedback about the not so stellar aspects of your stay. They are duly noted and know that we are continually working to improve our services. We look forward to your return visit.

1,184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Korean first
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovations. One floor that the elevator opened onto had the lobby floor stripped.

My room was a deluxe queen.

The bathroom was larger than some entire rooms I've been in. It had a shower and a tub. There was a TV built into the mirror above the sink. I did not use the tub. The shower was OK. The grip of the floor was good. Surprisingly, this detail can be overlooked. The layout of the shelf in the shower was acceptable. Again, this detail can be overlooked too. The UI of the shower controls was OK.

I stayed at the King Eddy about 8 years ago. The bathrooms were older then.

The chair was not very well designed. The desk chair was flimsy. I saw a room nearby that had an entirely different design motif.

The desk was a reasonable size for a workspace. The free wifi was reasonably fast. The tiles or whatever were on the floor behind the desk made moving around difficult. I could not get the chair to rise any higher than it was set, it would only go lower. There were no arms on the chair, which is a minor irritant. There was an electric outlet on the top of the desktop, which would be useful in many cases.

The bed was comfortable. The thermostat was adjustable by half degrees.

Some sounds carried. Door slams nearby were troublesome. I heard very faintly the streetcars. My room was not facing King street.

I could not figure out the alarm clock.

They did not have my reservation on their computer and my showing them the confirmation email was not sufficient for them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear exile_on_bank_street,

Welcome back to the King Eddy after 8 years! Thank you for your review and I appreciate receiving your feedback and insights from your recent stay with us. However, I deeply regret the inconveniences you experienced. Please know that we are continually working to improve our services and facilities so we may provide our guests with an enhanced stay experience. Your input will certainly be an important contribution as we plan for future renovations to the hotel.
Thank you for staying with us.

Iroquois, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having traveled back and forth to Toronto from Eastern Ontario for almost 20 years on business, I recently ventured to the city for pleasure.The notion of this new focus inspired me to revisit the joys of one of the grande old Toronto hotel landmarks. I grew up in Toronto in the 50's and 60's and well remember my parents dining at the Royal York and King Eddy.
As I was travelling by train it was also a significant bonus to stay within walking distance from Union Station. Cabs to and from the station are uncertain at best these days with the never ending construction. It seemed logical to stay within walking distance and the King Edward location put me perfectly situated between both the train and shopping at the Eaton Center. It was a quick jog to the theater district and the dining opportunities on King Street offer a nice variety. The King subway stop got me up to the Bloor Street /Yorkville Avenue shopping area in minutes.
Beginning with my arrival and greeted by the stately doorman, through the entry with the elegant sculpture and into the superbly paneled lobby, I felt immersed in old world grandeur unparalleled in today's more modernly sterile lobby space. The quiet grace of the staff at the front desk was a welcoming presence and the upgrade to an Executive King suite was a delight considering I had snagged a great deal on the March Break special.
The room itself is best described as understated charm with a spacious sitting room, large bathroom and splendid bed. I have over the last few years discovered the wonder of pillow menus and while no such offering was available clearly my bed was arrayed with exactly what I would have chosen.
With the cold March wind blowing my return to the hotel from shopping found me less engaged with dining out and I decided to check out the Consort Bar. The bar was packed but the accomodating staff quickly found me a quiet table with a view. I was surprised as it was evident that they could have filled my table with a group but there was absolutely no pressure and I stayed on for a relaxed dinner. The wine list was acceptable and the dinner menu intriguing. The lady serving me could not have been more solicitous and when I returned for cocktails the next day with friends she remembered my preferences and was quick to welcome me back as a valued customer.
Late check out was available however I elected to park my luggage at the bell desk. The bellman was eager to help with any directions I might require and on my return later that afternoon the young woman at the desk offered valuable advice on timing to get to the station.
There was never a moment during my stay that I felt pressured, anxious or frustrated. Elevators were prompt, the hallways clean and easily navigated, my room clean and the other guests as happy as I was to be surrounded by genuine hospitality. I only regret not being able to schedule afternoon tea although i did see a group thoroughly enjoying the experience- the ladies all hatted and gloved and the gentlemen equally elegantly attired.
Next visit will include a trip to the spa which every time I passed it seemed remarkably peaceful - less frenetic than other hotel spas I have frequented.
As I returned home I felt relaxed and renewed and perhaps even a little like a "queen" having been treated most royally by King Edward!

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a bad room in the hotel although my room situated at the end of the hall on t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Brenda K,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your stay at The King Edward Hotel. My team and I are very pleased to have delivered an experience that was made special through the attentiveness, friendliness and helpfulness of our service. It is always encouraging for our staff to receive generous commendations and to know that you felt well looked after during your stay. I am glad that our room amenities, food outlet and other hotel services contributed toward your positive experience. It was a pleasure having you with us and I hope for another opportunity in the future to extend the same warm King Eddy hospitality to you.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a great hotel, especially if you can get it on Priceline for around $100 per night like I did. A little worn in places, the hotel live up to and even exceeded my expectations. I was very pleased with the lobby, staff, concierge, lounge, room size and amenities. The hotels location is great too. In the heart of downtown Toronto just across from the subway station at King and Yonge.

I lucked out and had a very large corner unit with pretty decent views of Toronto. Bed was cozy.

My only gripe: $20 per day for wifi charge. But here's a tip to get free wifi. Go to the lobby and ask the concierge for the wifi password for the lobby. Once you gain access, you will have access throughout the hotel, including your room. For my 2 day stay, I saved $40 using this technique.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner unit. They are very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Tom G,

Thank you for your review of The King Edward Hotel and sharing how pleased you were with the staff, services, location and amenities. Surpassing our guest’s expectations is our biggest satisfaction and I am thrilled that your experience was nothing short of a great one. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This past weekend, my boyfriend and I visited the King Edward Hotel for the second time and were thrilled again with our experience. This was our first visit in one of the more "traditional" rooms but it was just as lovely - even the hallways were stunning. The warm welcome, service and follow-ups were over and above the call of duty but a great surprise. We also went to the Sunday Brunch for the second time and were delighted with the food, ambiance and service.
We will definitely be returning to The King Eddie.

Room Tip: 16th floor with the city view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CE,

We are thrilled to welcome you back to The King Edward Hotel! I am glad that your stays with us have been consistently pleasant and that this most recent visit was another memorable experience. Thank you for acknowledging our exceptional team who dedicates a lot of time and effort to continue to deliver the best level of service and care to all our guests.

Thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Seneca Falls NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A warm welcome, good location, comfortable room, and a great pub. Service is superb and atmosphere in the grand hotel style. Public transportation (tram and subway) just outside the door. What makes this hotel special is the staff who provide great friendly service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Larry D,

Thank you for all the complimentary remarks in regard to your recent stay at The King Edward Hotel. I am pleased to read that your experience was to your satisfaction. It is indeed rewarding for our team to be acknowledged and recognized for their hard work and dedication. I am glad that our friendly service made for a totally exceptional experience.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return visit.

quesochica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel offered a good rate, especially compared to the chain hotels in the area. It's a lovely historic building and the locale is very walkable to downtown restaurants and the train station. Surprisingly, my room was very modern. Fortunately I like that but not what you might expect in an old hotel. The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit cold (but then, everything in Toronto is cold in Feb). The shower/tub was this funky clawfoot thing with glass walls that gave you a full view of yourself in the bathroom mirror. So, hopefully you are into that.

All in all, a good stay

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Quesochica,

Thank you for your generous feedback on your experience at The King Edward Hotel. I am glad that all in all you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the contemporary room accommodation. I am also delighted that you found the hotel’s location to be convenient and that it offered easy access to restaurants and train stations.

We appreciate reading this review and look forward to your return visit when your travels bring you back to Toronto.

Jeff Waters

Been to The Omni King Edward Hotel? Share your experiences!