“underwhelming” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni King Edward Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Omni King Edward Hotel to your Saves list
The Omni King Edward Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1E9, Canada (Formerly Le Meridien King Edward) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Dining Credit
Ranked #16 of 141 hotels in Toronto
toronto
“underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am actually in the hotel room as i write this. I found the lack of the wow factor in the rooms was a real downer. With what we are paying to be in this room I am really regretting this decision. Me and my girlfriend were debating on leaving the hotel and going somewhere else thats how upset we are. We are planing on staying two nights, but I am really wishing i went somewhere else. You pay $50 for parking, and over $200 a night for a hotel room for what I feel like is the bare amenities. The room is bland and really empty. I got this for my girlfriends birthday and i feel that i let her down by coming here. Other than the great looking lobby the hotel is really lacking in a lot of what i feel like is expected amenities when coming to a high class hotel. I think the best way of explaining this room is best described in what i felt when i walked in... "it feels like a best western when your on a road trip to florida". Also make sure you don't use a debit visa to book as they do not accept it. Lastly my girlfriend is a lite-ish sleeper and the lack of soundproofing is noticeable.

Room Tip: Try the westin harbour castle. Much better rooms and value!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Michael2223,

We value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts about your stay at The King Edward Hotel. I was sorry to read that you felt your experience was a disappointment and that the room amenities did not meet your standards. We would have been able to improve your situation if we were given the opportunity to address your concerns immediately after you checked in to your room. But please know that we are continually working to improve hotel services and to provide our guests with a problem free stay. The hotel is also undertaking a renovation project that will include major improvements to the guest rooms.

Again, my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience. If I can do anything to gain your good opinion of the hotel, please feel free to contact me directly when you visit us again.

1,202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night. The hotel was wonderful, friendly staff, nice rooms, great breakfast. However, they made a mistake on the bill during checkout. Luckily we saw that they over charged us by ~ $30; we pointed it out and they corrected it on the spot.

However, a week later when I got my visa bill it showed that they charged an extra ~ $25. I called them and they said it was for mini bar purchases which we never made. Again they will correct it. However, be warned, this hotel charged us extra twice and in the second case I definitely would not have caught it unless I compared the bill to the visa bill. Until that point I was looking forward to going again, but now I would be apprehensive.

Dear Anee1212,

Thank you for this feedback about your experience at The King Edward Hotel. I was sorry to learn of the issues you encountered with billing. Although I was glad that we were able to promptly reverse the transactions, I regret that you had to experience any inconvenience. We certainly do not want a billing issue to mar what would have been an enjoyable stay as you did make positive comments about the hotel’s room, staff and breakfast offerings. It would be our pleasure to be of service to you once again in the future should you be kind enough to give us another opportunity.

Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently spent 2 weeks in The King Edward Hotel and we have been really happy with the service.
The room was spacious, very clean, confortable and, despite the really cold weather, always warm so it was a pleasure go back at the end of the day.
The hotel is in a really good position: very close to public transport and it is easy to walk to many of the main interesting sites (don't forget to visit St. Lawrence Market which is just 5 minutes walking). There are also lots of restaurants and bars in the area.
The bar of the hotel deserves a special mention especially during the week when Stefano will make all his best to make you feel very welcome and to be sure that you will enjoy the evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Silvia P,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments regarding your recent stay at The King Edward Hotel. I am pleased that you found the room to your liking and that you left feeling happy with the service you received. The hotel’s location is indeed ideal for moving around the city and the bar is well renowned for its offerings. Thank you acknowledging Stefano’s fine service. I will be sure to pass the glowing compliments on to him.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you ever get the chance to stay here you won't be disappointed. A truly historic hotel and wonderful experience. The rooms are truly unique each with their own personality. The club level is equally enjoyable!! Loved every minute of our stay. Almost didn't want to venture outside!

Dear Jennifer O,

It is a delight to know that you loved every minute of your stay at The King Edward Hotel. It is experiences like these that make us want to celebrate our success in creating unique and special memories for our guests. Thank you for posting a review and I look forward to your return visit.

Brockville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The wedding was at a different venue but most of the guests stayed at the King Eddy. The two days before the wedding coincided with the worst winter storm in Toronto and the north east US in 10 or 20 years. I chose valet parking and it was well worth it. I had to make many trips to deliver flowers, the double bass, the candles, the wine, the beer etc. My car appeared promptly, free of snow and ice and warm every time and there were many times. We had access to the Club Lounge for breakfast, tea and coffee and softdrinks and chocolates and newspapers whenever we needed a break. The concierge took care of arranging for limousines with a minimum of fuss and the results were exactly what I wanted. All staff were very friendly. I often compare the cost of staying in a hotel with the cost of staying at home and think that "at this price I should get more." On this occasion I did get more. I felt like an upstairs character from Downton Abbey with more than enough staff looking after my needs. It was a great experience.

Room Tip: choose a room that includes lounge privileges for breakfast, coffee, newspapers and a place to relax...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear David H,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The King Edward Hotel for the wedding event. It is always a delight for me and my team to read a wonderful review about the hotel and I thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am glad that the staff and accommodations made for a great experience during your busy schedule. Thank you for recognizing their efforts.

We look forward to providing another excellent experience on your next visit.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have made 6 trips in 4 months to Toronto, staying at 3 different hotels - until I found the King Edward. The rooms are nice and big, room service is good, but the 'piece de resistance' - the bar!

Stefano will ensure your drink is always topped up, engage you in interesting conversation, while knowing when you want to be alone.

I am just finishing a 3 week stay and can honestly say I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Toronto.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Neil T,

Thank you for sharing this awesome review with us. We truly appreciate knowing about our guest’s experience so we can celebrate our successes. Thank you for acknowledging Stefano who continue to create memorable experiences for our guests. I will be sure to pass on the compliments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this historic downtown hotel. It was our second stay at this hotel.
i had reserved on Priceline for a good rate. On arrival I inquired whether we would have a king-sized bed and was told no. I was then offered an upgrade to a "suite" for $75.00, which included a continental breakfast, and happy hour with snacks, wine and beer.
I could advantage of this and was shown to the room. The bellman dropped our luggage on the furniture at the end of the bed, without asking me. Our luggage had been pulled through muddy snow and now there was dirt and snow on the carpet, bed spread and furniture.
I spent the first half hour cleaning that.
My husband arrived about forty minutes later and was enjoying the view from our windows, which was beautiful. Unfortunately, he also noticed a rather large bug, belly up on the window sill.
The manager was very apologetic and competed us the extra charge. He also provided us with a bottle of wine and cheese plate.
This is a very old hotel-150 years, actually. The lobby is lovely, but the rooms really need work.
The lounge, where you eat breakfast is so depressing. It really needs a renovation.
Parking is also an issue here, at $45.00 per night.
I don't think we will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear katherineincanada,

Thank you for providing us this feedback about your experience. We know you have numerous options to select from and we appreciate you choosing us for your travel needs. I apologize for some of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and thank you for bringing them to our attention so we may address them. The hotel is 110 years old and now in the process of updating. It is my hope that when the renovation of guest rooms is completed you will return to stay with us again.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Jeff Waters

Been to The Omni King Edward Hotel? Share your experiences!